Dynamic Effort for Hypertrophy

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hi, I know I’ve posted this video before of Joe DeFranco explaining how dynamic effort can improve hypertrophy. However, with the post of JM Blakely view on speed work, I wanted to get your guy’s feedback on this matter.

Hi, I know I’ve posted this video before of Joe DeFranco explaining how dynamic effort can improve hypertrophy. However, with the post of JM Blakely view on speed work, I wanted to get your guy’s feedback on this matter.

JM recommends 6x6 rather than speed work. That's 6x6 with a near or actual 6 rep max. Once you complete 6x6 with a given weight, you add 5lbs the next time you do it. I'm still doing speed work tho. I do 10 sets of 3 with 40 seconds rest between sets and I get a decent pump going.

On everything besides the main lift (variations, assistance, etc.), I really don't worry about a set/rep scheme too much. I'm worried about feeling it in the muscles that I'm trying to work. I pretty much always autoregulate what reps/sets I'll be doing based on the pump. Sometimes I'm even moving the weight slower, so I really don't think I agree with dynamic effort as I want to have decent time under tension if I'm focusing on hypertrophy. I'm basically bro training with it.

On everything besides the main lift (variations, assistance, etc.), I really don't worry about a set/rep scheme too much. I'm worried about feeling it in the muscles that I'm trying to work. I pretty much always autoregulate what reps/sets I'll be doing based on the pump. Sometimes I'm even moving the weight slower, so I really don't think I agree with dynamic effort as I want to have decent time under tension if I'm focusing on hypertrophy. I'm basically bro training with it.

I feel like the times I go with RPE scale for my assistance work I tend to make pretty good progress. Sometimes sticking to strict numbers for reps/sets takes the fun out of lifting and really makes it feel like a chore.

I feel like the times I go with RPE scale for my assistance work I tend to make pretty good progress. Sometimes sticking to strict numbers for reps/sets takes the fun out of lifting and really makes it feel like a chore.
Good advice. Ill try that on my next workout. I feel like the gains on isolation exercises are so small and incremental that sticking to a rep scheme can actually be limiting

Good advice. Ill try that on my next workout. I feel like the gains on isolation exercises are so small and incremental that sticking to a rep scheme can actually be limiting

I agree with all of that. Drop sets have been pretty good to me lately. That's an easy foolproof way to get in some good volume.

I've never really considered dynamic effort in terms of hypertrophy but if there's adequate effort/stimuli and recovery taking place it would have to produce some kind of results.

Back