Media Dustin Poirier vs Conor McGregor 2 - All Significant Strikes (video)

Who wins the trilogy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Conor has 1 round of cardio. He does not have the same pop after being forced to fight.

If he does not sleeps Dustin early he is getting knocked out again.. calves kicks or not.

It’s a bad match up for Conor. Conor is going to struggle with anyone that has cardio/heart and a chin. He barely made it past Diaz for those reasons and unlike Diaz, Dustin has legit power as well as many more tools at his disposal. Bottom line is, while I would love for Conor to win because the sport is always better with him around....I just don’t see a way for it to happen.

Dustin is just the better fighter at this stage.
It’s certainly not out of the realm of possibility that Conor could rock and finish Dustin.

It’s a bad match up for Conor. Conor is going to struggle with anyone that has cardio/heart and a chin. He barely made it past Diaz for those reasons and unlike Diaz, Dustin has legit power as well as many more tools at his disposal. Bottom line is, while I would love for Conor to win because the sport is always better with him around....I just don’t see a way for it to happen.

Dustin is just the better fighter at this stage.
Youve got to be kidding me with this post. lmfao

Porter’s conditioning is going to beat Conor every single time now unless Conor lands that same shot and starts an advance on a hurt Porier. He traded way too much in the 2nd fight, even when hurt he tried to counter instead of defend. That shot where Conor slipped to the right and Smashed Dustin with the left and then a jab was the only shot that backed Dustin up significantly. He has to do that and rush Dustin to finish him. Conor truly is a different fighter these days. His whole style is different, that Floyd fight has changed him forever.

Two things this shows outside of the obvious that Conor was winning the standup early is that Dustin really started to get that timing and distance down late in the first, as you can see by his jab landing multiple times, landing a nice couple of counters and him avoiding strikes with head movement, as well as that grappling slowed Conor down significantly, not the kicks. He spent a ton of energy in fighting and on his back getting back up from that TD.

If I'm Dustin, I clinch and go for TDs early and often. It'll open up that entire fight for him. Kicks, jabs, counters, etc.

Oh and Kavanaugh is ridiculous in that corner and sounds like a fucking cheerleader, lol.
Kavanaugh sounding like a cheerleader is a good point, and one of Conor's biggest problems imo

I feel like he just wants to stay in Conor's good graces, a yes man to a certain extent

Not to mention he really isn't very experienced, I don't think there's that much he knows, that Conor doesn't

Conor needs real coaching

Poirier isn’t a phenomenal striker, but he squarely gets the job done. He never really looks elite to me but as previously mentioned looking like the better fighter and beating the man in front of you are not always the same, and Dustin has that second part down to a tee. A fight versus Oliveira would be very exciting. Oliveria is more polished and accurate stood up, Poirier scraps to the end and draws his opponent into wars they should stand back from. Fascinating match up.
He out struck Gaithje and Holloway. He also put away Alvarez and Pettis. Other than getting caught by Johnson a few years ago, Poirier has out struck every top 10 fighter he's fought since moving back to LW 6 or so years ago.

I think people think he's striking isn't elite because he is constantly on the offence and he wears a few shots during his wars. But he employs a lot of head movement when he's throwing combos.

Oliviera has very polished striking, as you said, but he doesn't move his head at all. He is a textbook MT striker and Thai fighters don't slip or roll punches, and it's been proven that you need to employ head movement in MMA as the gloves are too small to block punches. Oliviera also has a glass chin. He was nearly put away against Chandler at the end of the first.

The proof is in their fights and who they've fought. Oliviera has been crumbled from strikes many times while Poirier has won most of his striking wars. Poirier has also fought far more dangerous strikers than Oliviera.

If that fight went down, I'd favour Poirier and I'm sure the bookies would too.

Garbrandt has (or had at least) much better hands than Poirier. Much cleaner, more clinical boxing, far better movement. Which is why he became world champion in such a short time, and why Poirier has had to go the long route.
Lol, man, your logic is so convoluted it ain't even funny. All Cody ever does is swing hooks and a occasional jab, that doesn't make anyone even remotely a good boxer.

Last edited:
He out struck Gaithje and Holloway. He also put away Alvarez and Pettis. Other than getting caught by Johnson a few years ago, Poirier has out struck every top 10 fighter he's fought since moving back to LW 6 or so years ago.

I think people think he's striking isn't elite because he is constantly on the offence and he wears a few shots during his wars. But he employs a lot of head movement when he's throwing combos.

Oliviera has very polished striking, as you said, but he doesn't move his head at all. He is a textbook MT striker and Thai fighters don't slip or roll punches, and it's been proven that you need to employ head movement in MMA as the gloves are too small to block punches. Oliviera also has a glass chin. He was nearly put away against Chandler at the end of the first.

The proof is in their fights and who they've fought. Oliviera has been crumbled from strikes many times while Poirier has won most of his striking wars. Poirier has also fought far more dangerous strikers than Oliviera.

If that fight went down, I'd favour Poirier and I'm sure the bookies would too.

Great post. I agree with every point.

Am I alone on feeling McGregor looked slow in the first fight? Not only his punch put all his movements seem slow and "heavy". Maybe because I'm comparing him too much to 145 lbs Conor.
I thought he looked more in control of his movements in the rematch. He looked stronger and his punches looked more crisp. I genuinely felt like Conor knew exactly what he was doing going into the second round. I actually think Conor we last saw is better than what he was years ago. With a good game plan, I think he could beat Dustin.

Great post. I agree with every point.
Thanks mate. You were spot on with your posts in this thread, too.

We often think alike in threads. Being OG MMA veterans like ourselves and remaining objective about fighters is a rare trait on Sherdog.

Edit: ourselves, not myself. That sounded like I was just giving myself a pat on the back

Last edited:
Poirier isn’t a phenomenal striker, but he squarely gets the job done. He never really looks elite to me but as previously mentioned looking like the better fighter and beating the man in front of you are not always the same, and Dustin has that second part down to a tee. A fight versus Oliveira would be very exciting. Oliveria is more polished and accurate stood up, Poirier scraps to the end and draws his opponent into wars they should stand back from. Fascinating match up.
I think Oliveira is the more diverse striker who can utilize his reach advantage. He can do what Dan Hooker did to Poirier or even worse because of the take down threat he possesses. Anyone who thinks Oliveira is an easy match for Poirier or Gaethje are fooling themselves. If you can't invade Oliveira's space like Chandler did, Gaethje won't have too much success in his striking because he has always struggled against good strikers who can manage distance.

Thanks mate. You were spot on with your posts in this thread, too.

We often think alike in threads. Being OG MMA veterans like ourselves and remaining objective about fighters is a rare trait on Sherdog.

Edit: ourselves, not myself. That sounded like I was just giving myself a pat on the back

You're good man. Thanks for the kind words, lol.

wow, connor looked terrible... just his face alone... he looked like he had to go to work while having the beer shits.... i remember him looking alot better but damn he was gassed and didnt even eat that many leg kicks

Funny how everyone talks about the calf kicks but not the right hook which is really what ruined Conor's night first and foremost.

hopefuloy this opens up some peoples eyes. yeah he lost, but it was a very compeittive 2 rounds with the #1 ranked lightweight. people making out like he looked like a bum in there and was completely washed up. he has lost only twice, once to khabib, then to #1 poirier. and smashed #6 cerrone in between

hopefuloy this opens up some peoples eyes. yeah he lost, but it was a very compeittive 2 rounds with the #1 ranked lightweight. people making out like he looked like a bum in there and was completely washed up. he has lost only twice, once to khabib, then to #1 poirier. and smashed #6 cerrone in between
Judging by this thread it has

In every other thread about Conor vs Dustin people are saying Conor has no chance and Dustin will destroy him... in this one it's 50/50

I'm picking Dustin, but round 1 Conor is the better fighter... it's not as easy a call as people make it out to be

Back