Media Dustin Poirier vs Conor McGregor 2 - All Significant Strikes (video)

Who wins the trilogy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Two things this shows outside of the obvious that Conor was winning the standup early is that Dustin really started to get that timing and distance down late in the first, as you can see by his jab landing multiple times, landing a nice couple of counters and him avoiding strikes with head movement, as well as that grappling slowed Conor down significantly, not the kicks. He spent a ton of energy in fighting and on his back getting back up from that TD.

If I'm Dustin, I clinch and go for TDs early and often. It'll open up that entire fight for him. Kicks, jabs, counters, etc.

Oh and Kavanaugh is ridiculous in that corner and sounds like a fucking cheerleader, lol.

Yes, also impressed and a bit surprised how Dustin can take Conor's hard shots early. I think if Dustin could improve his defense a lil bit more, it will be a key to a much impressive victory in the trilogy. And I agree, try to wear down Conor and give him different looks in the fight, mix his striking and takedowns, rough him up in the fence, and limit the stand up and counter boxing until Conor has slowed down. Tbh, I really think Dustin got this, if he stayed focused in the fight. I don't think 5 months is enough for Conor to develop a more improved gameplan, with regards to all his tools and capability. I think he'll just stick to what he does best and just be more cautious to calf kicks this time.

9iqAOK6.gif

Damn and Connor still whooped this giAnt

That's the impression I got after the fight. I realized I actually underestimated Conor's striking going into this fight. The difference in the level of striking was more evident in this fight than in the first fight where Conor actually won. He looked more in control.

Anyways, I don’t think leg kicks are Conor’s weakness. It will always be the cardio. I think he’ll always be vulnerable when an opponent with a solid chin decides to go all in and throw flurry of punches non stop. Not many fighters can actually do it as good as Poirier. It’s ironic too that he considers it a weakness in his game.
When Garbrandt does it, he expects to find the KO but it all ends in tears.
When Poirier does the exact same he is going against his instinct, being drawn into a place he would rather not be, yet it always seems to work out for him.
Garbrandt seemingly has far more polished boxing than Poirier also, yet Poirier just finds a way to win when things heat up, and that is a rarity that makes him super dangerous at 155

Yes, also impressed and a bit surprised how Dustin can take Conor's hard shots early. I think if Dustin could improve his defense a lil bit more, it will be a key to a much impressive victory in the trilogy. And I agree, try to wear down Conor and give him different looks in the fight, mix his striking and takedowns, rough him up in the fence, and limit the stand up and counter boxing until Conor has slowed down. Tbh, I really think Dustin got this, if he stayed focused in the fight. I don't think 5 months is enough for Conor to develop a more improved gameplan, with regards to all his tools and capability. I think he'll just stick to what he does best and just be more cautious to calf kicks this time.

Yeah, the idea that Conor is going to learn to check calf kicks in five months is laughable. He'll be mindful of it. Dustin probably will land less, but even then that wasn't the only factor in Dustin taking over that fight.

I think a lot of people get the idea that he can from the second Diaz bout where he actually used leg kicks. But hey, if you fight a Diaz and don't leg kick, you're not all that smart anyway, and adding basic offense is a lot easier than adjusting defensively. Conor will switch his stance going into this fight. It'll lead to easier takedowns and I think it'll cut off his distance on those lead strikes. He'll also still get kicked.

Conor has to knock Dustin out early, which he can. Power is the last thing to go, but I'm not banking on it.

Wow, first vote goes to me. I bet on Poirer last time just because he was such a dog, but I think Conor makes a couple adjustments and takes this. Almost had him last time

Conor has a literal punchers chance.

He's not going to learn how to wrestle in a few months and he flat out sucks on the mat. He's a hard hitting puncher with excellent timing and average or worse at literally everything else.

Dustin could take Conor's punches, Conor couldn't take Dustin's. I think pretty straight forward 60/40 in favor of Dustin again, the well rounded fighter of the two.

When Garbrandt does it, he expects to find the KO but it all ends in tears.
When Poirier does the exact same he is going against his instinct, being drawn into a place he would rather not be, yet it always seems to work out for him.
Garbrandt seemingly has far more polished boxing than Poirier also, yet Poirier just finds a way to win when things heat up, and that is a rarity that makes him super dangerous at 155

Garbrandt has lost 4 of his last 5 getting absolutely tuned up in boxing exchanges. He backs up in a straight line with his chin in the air and literally wings hooks to nowhere in the air.

It's obvious how much Cody relied on his athleticism to get to the top, but that edge is gone. Poirer is the far superior overall MMA striker and a lot more disciplined with better fight IQ.

Garbrandt has lost 4 of his last 5 getting absolutely tuned up in boxing exchanges. He backs up in a straight line with his chin in the air and literally wings hooks to nowhere in the air.

It's obvious how much Cody relied on his athleticism to get to the top, but that edge is gone. Poirer is the far superior overall MMA striker and a lot more disciplined with better fight IQ.
Garbrandt has (or had at least) much better hands than Poirier. Much cleaner, more clinical boxing, far better movement. Which is why he became world champion in such a short time, and why Poirier has had to go the long route.

Am I alone on feeling McGregor looked slow in the first fight? Not only his punch put all his movements seem slow and "heavy". Maybe because I'm comparing him too much to 145 lbs Conor.

While I think that Conor has a chance I also remember the Hooker fight. When Hooker put a blitz on Poirier in the first rounds and later Hooker was losing the fight, so I don't know.

Am I alone on feeling McGregor looked slow in the first fight? Not only his punch put all his movements seem slow and "heavy". Maybe because I'm comparing him too much to 145 lbs Conor.

Yes he lacked explosiveness and just looked slow and old. Most people are ignoring the fact that one of the main reasons he got stopped, was he was too gassed to get off the cage once he was cornered. Even with a sore leg a fighter with energy would still be able to dance away if they were taking big punches to the head. He had nothing left and was a sitting duck in combination with the leg.

I still think he can beat Dustin though if he adjusts and fights a smart economical fight, but he if loses again he should retire, at least from 155, and I doubt he is interested in killing himself to make 145 again. Dustin is a good fighter but he is not amazing in anyway so if he can't beat him, its just pointless fighting anymore imo.

Garbrandt has (or had at least) much better hands than Poirier. Much cleaner, more clinical boxing, far better movement. Which is why he became world champion in such a short time, and why Poirier has had to go the long route.

He literally wings wild hooks in the air to nowhere, comically.

It worked a lot better when he was fighting marginal talent of whom he was the far superior athlete. When he fought a truly elite guy in TJ, he got knocked out, twice for his troubles. He's happy to swing hooks in 50/50 exchanges.

His record speaks for itself.

Poirer is overall a far superior MMA striker.

He literally wings wild hooks in the air to nowhere, comically.

It worked a lot better when he was fighting marginal talent of whom he was the far superior athlete. When he fought a truly elite guy in TJ, he got knocked out, twice for his troubles. He's happy to swing hooks in 50/50 exchanges.

His record speaks for itself.

Poirer is overall a far superior MMA striker.
<YeahOKJen>

Fantastic fight.
Poirier got over the mental block.
Hard to say about the 3rd

i mean... it shouldnt take too long to learn how to defend against the Calf kick... Aside from that specific strike, McG was doing well against him last fight.
Conor was getting handled in the grappling and Dustin took a left clean and it didn't phase him.
So the writing was on the wall for Conor regardless of the calf kicks.
Also imagine how much value in terms of TD or punch openings Dustin is gonna get out of Conor thinking about the calf kick non-stop in this next one. The mental edge will be huge

Cody's record speaks for itself.

He's gone on a 4/5 losing streak, and he wasn't getting out wrestled, he was getting literally out classed in striking. You can watch a comic reel of him swinging hooks in the air. What are we even talking about?

You can't rate people based on what you think their potential is. We're talking about what actually happened.

Look at Poirer beating Holloway, JG and now Conor. Reality matters.

Cody's record speaks for itself.

He's gone on a 4/5 losing streak, and he wasn't getting out wrestled, he was getting literally out classed in striking. You can watch a comic reel of him swinging hooks in the air. What are we even talking about?

You can't rate people based on what you think their potential is. We're talking about what actually happened.

Look at Poirer beating Holloway, JG and now Conor. Reality matters.
Garbrandt = former UFC champion
Poirier = former interim champion

Garbrandt = former UFC champion
Poirier = former interim champion

Garbrandt lost 4 of his last 5 fights by getting out classed in striking in lopsided affairs. Literally getting embarrassed repeatedly.

Poirer has now beaten Holloway, Hooker, JG and Conor in his run. Those are some of the best strikers in the sport, demonstrably so.

However you rate Garbrandt's potential in your head isn't reality. His record speaks for itself.

Because he took more of a boxing style, not a karate style.

He's leaning forward a lot more, heavier on his lead leg, crouching down, and pushing in for the exchanges to land.

He wasn't countering a lot like he used to, and wasn't bouncing around in a more upright position.

I really doubt he's any slower, he's just taking a different approach.

Dustin is there more complete MMA fighter, therefore he is more likely to win

Back