Movies DUNE (Sequel Officially Greenlit; Opens to $40.1 Million at the U.S. Box Office)

If you have seen DUNE (2021), how would you rate it?

• Total voters
It is pretty easy to follow. The audiobook is up on youtube.

My take on the movie is that it is pretty damn good. There are parts that I was hoping for certain lines to be said but I understand why they were dropped for pacing. The movie paces much better than any of the other versions of the movie. It visuals are great and it feels like a different world but I miss some of the quirkiness of David Lynch's version.

One of the things that I think the movie does right even though it is so good in the books is doing away with all the exposition and internal monologues. They are great in the book because Dune isn't really a sci-fi movie per sa but more of a political theater. It would be extremely easy to bog the movie down. I think the movie did a great job but it didn't try to match the books depth and that has its pros and cons.

Went in blind. It was awesome!

Pretty slow burn but the world building is top notch. The scale of it all is immense and the cinematography is amazing. The purpose of the film is to set the stage and introduce concepts and characters, however because of that i can see some not liking it. To me it felt like Fellowship of the Ring and I’m stoked to see where this goes.

9/10

I never read the book or saw the original movie. Saw this at an IMAX the other day, I loved it. Incredibly beautiful and amazing audio. The world felt real. The loyalty between characters felt real. Pacing and set up was great.

Normally I don’t get super excited about special effects, but the fight scenes and the way the knives and swords interacted with the shields was so incredibly cool. And then how bombs were used to penetrate the shields, the way the “voice” sounded, the wide shots and large scale…the way it all looked and sounded, wow, just mesmerizing.

It felt like an experience, rather than just watching a movie.

Went in blind. It was awesome!

Pretty slow burn but the world building is top notch. The scale of it all is immense and the cinematography is amazing. The purpose of the film is to set the stage and introduce concepts and characters, however because of that i can see some not liking it. To me it felt like Fellowship of the Ring and I’m stoked to see where this goes.

9/10

Could not agree more.

With this director I get some James Cameron/Christoffer Nolan vibes when it comes to realism and details. The helicopters, which were made like dragonflies, were simply amazing. Creating a feeling where you are in another world without questioning is simply unique and that only a few directors can handle.

The water tower scene gave me the chills. It felt like a little forgotten part of me woke up and for a moment I felt like an animal where the strong can only survive, and it was a good bloodthirsty feeling.

Go in blind. This movie is perfect for anyone who never read the books or watched the first movie. You're probably better off. It's freaking excellent, just watched it.

I tried reading this many times over the years, but now I'm doing the audiobooks and have two hours left in it in the first one. It's so fucking great! Knowing this movie will be two parts, I knew it wouldn't cover anything I haven't listened to yet.

I absolutely loved the film. The book is a sizable read/listen, so there was never any way it could be perfectly adapted, but the faith I had Villeneuve was well placed. It's another cinematic masterpiece by him. He really learned from Blade Runner. I loved that movie too, but I can see why it's not for everyone. The pacing is good here, and he uses flashbacks to to drop more action into places it did not exist in the book.

I can only imagine how much better it is at an Imax. I'm going to wait for the 4k HDR version on bluray to rewatch. It still looked good on my 75 inch screen, got a solid torrent.

The lore is very well respected here, no woke BS, and the things cut likely had to be due to time restrictions, not for blue checkmark reasons. Character development does suffer, but there's more than enough in this film to let you understand what's going on and escape into the epic world of Dune. I was very pleased with the casting too.

9/10 for me!

edit, to add one thing here, they really should have filmed both back to back. It would have cost them less in the long run. Why gamble so much money on an unfinished film?

I'm confident they'll make part 2, but I don't want to wait two more years. It's going to take at least that.

I love the soundtrack too, especially this when it's used, brilliant stuff!

Right on! Thanks for the reply. I can't wait to watch it this weekend.

I imagine it would be hard to even record and structure an audiobook version of Dune. From what I remember, each chapter is started with freestanding quotes or short info texts, and the book has a couple of immense appendicies that you almost have to refer to while reading the book proper. And there are some other oddities in the way the book is written and structured. Sudden semi-non sequitur inner monologues and whatnot.

I'm near the end of the first audiobook and it's excellent. They brought in different voice actors for key roles, the Baron is the best one. Sometimes the main narrator/voice actor does all the voices too, which is a little jarring, but it's otherwise fantastic.

You probably got the Shitbox version.

Today the 22 is the day of the almost real quality stuff. Wait a day or two and you have the 2160p Remux with HDR and Atmos.

I was going to wait, but my buddy and I, who I watch these types of things with, wanted to see it together, and wouldn't be able to for another couple of weeks with our conflicting schedules. The HD rip I got was surprisingly good. If HBO Max was offered here, I would ahve done that too. DO they stream in 4K? Regardless, I can't wait to watch it again proper!
I never read the book or saw the original movie. Saw this at an IMAX the other day, I loved it. Incredibly beautiful and amazing audio. The world felt real. The loyalty between characters felt real. Pacing and set up was great.

Normally I don’t get super excited about special effects, but the fight scenes and the way the knives and swords interacted with the shields was so incredibly cool. And then how bombs were used to penetrate the shields, the way the “voice” sounded, the wide shots and large scale…the way it all looked and sounded, wow, just mesmerizing.

It felt like an experience, rather than just watching a movie.

I love the shields and the tactics to get around them. It's like Warhammer 40k, a good lore reason to incorporate swords/knives equally into combat.

I just finished this movie. Man was it good. Everything about it is incredible.

We couldn’t have been so lucky to have Denis direct a Star Wars trilogy. This is what the new Star Wars should be. A movie geared towards adults. Incredible sci fi concepts and political theater with an adult themed story with great dialogue and acting.

this is how you make an Old Republic Trilogy.

The Bene Gesserit (female witches/jedi) have been marrying talented bloodlines to each other for centuries, planning to produce a super human with psychic powers allowing him to see the weave of future possibilities. Jessica (Paul's mother) was supposed to bear a daughter who would then marry Feyd Ruatha Harkonnen (not introduced in part 1, but he is the baron's nephew and in some ways the main antagonist) - their offspring was meant to be this superman (Kwisatz Haderach).

However, Jessica defied her order and gave her husband a son to continue the Atreides bloodline. This is Paul and it is possible that he is going to be this promised superhuman (which is why the matron mother tests him on Calderan). As you saw in the movie, Paul has visions of alternate versions of the future (Chani killing him vs him and Chani falling in love, Paul making friends with Jamis vs Jamis killing Paul vs Paul himself killing Jamis etc.), but his powers are still in their infancy.

Thanks alot, extremely helpful. Alternate versions of the future is what threw me off or were they visions of the future to be interpreted but not clear or set. I imagine more will be revealed in the future on them and how they actually work vs his role in sculpting the reality of those visions. I thought he was going to die and then come back to life towards the end based on the visions. Misread that.

Watched a rip on my home TV.
Gonna need to go see it in cinemas to give it a real review. Cause even on my 60 inch TV it felt insulting to not witness it on a proper cinema screen Cause of the epicness of the shots and world...beautiful.

When it eventually releases in aus I'll go

Does anyone notice how interesting the technology is in this universe. It’s very advanced yet almost primitive at the same time. Even the ships they use mimic the wings of insects and how they move.

there are “basically” no computers shaped like the human mind, no AI, no robots. Human evolution makes them take all these roles.

Last edited:
Does anyone notice how interesting the technology is in this universe. It’s very advanced yet almost primitive at the same time. Even the ships they use mimic the wings of insects and how they move.

there are “basically” no computers shaped like the human mind, no AI, no robots Human evolution makes them take all these roles.
In Dune lore they had a major war with AI's so they dont use them anymore

Yeah I read that too. The movie doesn’t really explain why which makes reading some of the lore even better.

There is so much back story here it’s crazy. This movie definitely requires a few watches to understand all the pieces that are in motion.

It’s sucks we’re gonna have to wait for part 2. I also can’t believe this isn’t a trilogy like lord of the rings

So good I'm gonna have to read some books now.

Aint waiting until 2024 for part 2.

Saw it today

Thought it was pretty damn good. And I agree with everyone's comments about the cinematography, acting, and direction.

Timothee Chamalet is a solid young actor. Wasn't sold on the guy with all the "future Hollywood star" talk but I see why he was chosen for this role.

8/10. Rating might go up after repeated viewings. Loved seeing it on the big screen

They missed a huge opportunity by not doing any animated shorts before the release to introduce the lore to the general audience as they did with BR 2049. The Butlerian Jihad would make a great one.

Last edited:

there are “basically” no computers shaped like the human mind, no AI, no robots Human evolution makes them take all these roles.

This!

I just downloaded the Spicediver fan-edit of 1984 Dune, supposed to be excellent, just not HD unfortunately. Anyway, this is the first quote that comes on the screen (not sure if it was in the OG)
Dune-AI.jpg

Yeah I read that too. The movie doesn’t really explain why which makes reading some of the lore even better.

There is so much back story here it’s crazy. This movie definitely requires a few watches to understand all the pieces that are in motion.

It’s sucks we’re gonna have to wait for part 2. I also can’t believe this isn’t a trilogy like lord of the rings

In future books of the Dune Saga, after Frank Herbert passed away, his Son and a co-writer did a prequel covering that. I look forward to the audiobook at some point. Between this and the Warhammer 40k books (some incredible stuff there), I have enough material to last me a long while. I love how both universes take themselves very seriously, featuring killer sci-fi, with deep lore and world building.

Dune: The Butlerian Jihad is a 2002 science fiction novel by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, set in the fictional Dune universe created by Frank Herbert. It is the first book in the Legends of Dune prequel trilogy, which takes place over 10,000 years before the events of Frank Herbert's celebrated 1965 novel Dune.[1] The series chronicles the fictional Butlerian Jihad, a crusade by the last free humans in the universe against the thinking machines, a violent and dominating force led by the sentient computer Omnius.

1*5kpYk-Vx-6LCGXxm-iY6Iw.png

We couldn’t have been so lucky to have Denis direct a Star Wars trilogy. This is what the new Star Wars should be. A movie geared towards adults. Incredible sci fi concepts and political theater with an adult themed story with great dialogue and acting.

I agree

Directors like Denis and Chris Nolan would be terrible choices for the new Star Wars films because they don't give a damn about certain agendas to appease a small portion of the audience. With them it's all about smart concepts and getting the most out of the actors you are working with

The problem with the new Star Wars films is that they cared more about pushing diversity and social issues than about character development and overall film quality. Dune focused more on the latter and had a pretty diverse cast as well.

I agree

Directors like Denis and Chris Nolan would be terrible choices for the new Star Wars films because they don't give a damn about certain agendas to appease a small portion of the audience. With them it's all about smart concepts and getting the most out of the actors you are working with

The problem with the new Star Wars films is that they cared more about pushing diversity and social issues than about character development and overall film quality. Dune focused more on the latter and had a pretty diverse cast as well.

DUNE is so densely packed you have to pay attention or it won’t make sense. There are so many different planets and groups and plot points going on you really have to follow along.

everything was incredible. The costumes, set designs, the ships. The entire lore about the power of the SPICE. Just so interesting.

I wish this move was 4 hours long. I could’ve watched this all day

What’s even more incredible is that there are no “aliens” in this. Everyone is human and the spice changes you over time.

Glad to see the good reviews on here. Going to see it on the weekend. I really hope this movie cleans up in the box office. Would be a real shame to not see the 2nd part.

Assuming Part 2 ends where the book/Lynch movie ends, and both succeed, I would REALLY REALLY love to see them shoot for a trilogy and do Dune Messiah for Part 3.

Back