Dumbbell for snatches etc - what weight for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by pandaman, Mar 25, 2008.

1. pandaman

pandaman White Belt

I'm going to buy a dumbbell I can use for dumbbell snatches, dumbbell swings, goblet squats, weighted pistols, and any other exercises that I can think of. I plan to do these exercises for conditioning purposes, not for pure strength purposes.

Problem is I don't know what weight would be good to start with! I was thinking either a 20kg, 25kg or 30kg dumbbell, but I think 15kg would be a bit light. I'm 175cm, 68kg, and I'm a beginner to these sort of weighted dumbbell lifts. What weight would be best to start with?

2. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

why not play with one at the store before you buy it? Better yet, buy a pair of adjustable dumbells...

3. Standard

Standard Too dumb to learn, too stubborn to quit

Probably between 15 and 25 kg, the 30 is overkill IMO. Weight isn't too important for conditiotning drills as you can always go light and can hit more reps in less time. Especially if you are doing a circuit, say stair sprints, 10 DB snatches per arm, then 10 burpees.

Personally i use a 35lb (16kg) and 50lb (23kg) when i do conditioning and find the are a good weight and i'm 100kg and can 1 handed snatch about 55kg

4. Gov

Gov White Belt

Agree with Urban - buy adjustable free weights. Your conditioning is bound to improve so you'll appreciate the ability to adjust the workout within a month of regular use.

5. Joe Funaro

Joe Funaro Amateur Fighter

6. pandaman

pandaman White Belt

Urban, Gov, Joe - good idea about the adjustable dumbbells *hits self in head for not thinking of it*

Standard - thanks for telling me what weights you use. If you're using 16-23kg dumbbells at your size and with your strength, I think 15kg would be a good starting weight for me. I could try the 100 snatch challenge too! And cheers for a good circuit idea mate, I'll use that one when I've got my dumbbell.

EBay and local sports stores here I come!

7. Brando

Brando Green Belt

That was a fun day at the stairs, no?

8. JinKazama

JinKazama Silver Belt

everyones different

u gotta feel it out dude

9. Standard

Standard Too dumb to learn, too stubborn to quit

I think a bit of me died that day