• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Drysdale doubles down on his incompetent cornering of Rohskopf

what is the explicit purpose of a corner??

its to prepare and coach a fighter thru a sports combat match

and when he was cutting weight, if he said NINE TIMES that he couldnt do it and whined and complained((as we have seen people do thru weight cuts...even breaking down crying and the like)) they should just let him quit then too???

fighter wanted out, coach wanted to motivate and encourage him to push thru adversity, fighter would or could not and said so to the offical, fight was stopped immediately....

fighter did not spend even 15more seconds fighting after he did not want to...................so the system obviously works
You drew a fantastic parallel here. I’ve been with fighters cutting weight for big fights on numerous occasions.... guys literally breaking down in tears trying to exit the sauna, trying to pull out the fight etc... just to thug it out and (in some cases) go on to be victorious and use that pain as a platform to stand on to fight through. As none of us know that fighter the way his coach does I tend to side with the coach on this matter.

I can't really judge the relationship between a fighter and there trainer, because it's unique to them.

Drysdale knows Rohskopf better than Ariel, Chael, Bob Bennett and anyone on Sherdog.

Not saying he's right, I just don't want to be quick to judge.

That kid just ain't cut out to do this.

Sorry if it hurt's peoples feelings, but he isn't a fighter, if he is - nowhere near UFC level.

Nothing wrong with that either. I wish him the best.

Should have stopped it. The lad needs to rethink his career or just do MMA as a side gig from now on.

He took the fight on less than a weeks notice and killed himself making the weight.

He'll get another shot.

Holy shit the original video I watched only had the bit at the end. This is bad, really bad. I’d understand if he asked out once and he tried to give him a mental push..but this is fucked.

i've been a cornerman in the ufc and other promotions and have coached high school wrestling for over a decade- WATCH THE FIGHT, not just the corner and take it out of context. I woulda gave him the same advice, if you want out, tell the ref you want out. it was 1-1 at the time. as a corner i would try to motivate the athlete and give him advice. it wasn't like the anthony smith fight, it was 1-1 where he was winning the grappling losing the striking. drysdale did his job

According to Ariel he was 20-17 down on all judges scorecards when he quit.

Seems like the hardest thing most of you guys ever did was get out of the chair. When you push yourself in any sport, there are going to be moments when you wanna quit mentally before you gave your best. That's when teammates and coach push you to get through it. That is expected of them, unless you're injured. Me and my buddies scream at each other to do few more reps, few more miles. Guess what, it works most of the time and we do those reps, those miles. Coach did nothing wrong here, he had to try to boost his guy's morale.

Dana defended him at the presser. He'll get another shot.

Probably. But it was quite funny.

The first thing he said before starting to defend him was:

"His coach/manger whoever has been busting Sean's balls about coming to the UFC, this kid's gonna be a champion, this is the next big thing blabla, and we give him this fight - And that's his performance"

I don't think he was too impressed but realized he had to be on the defending side of that whole quitting on the stool debacle

It’s a tough spot. It’s always a difficult call for the corner. It’s his debut and I’m sure they knew if he quit on the stool, he’s probably not welcome back. That being said, he had no business in that fight.
Yeah exactly. It's the corners job to try and convince there fighter they can still win but when it becomes clear the fighter wants out it's also your duty to recognise that.

Where was this out rage when Pennington's corner talked her into going back out to get KOed after telling them she was done multiple times though or even Spencers corner for not saving her from her self when it was obvious she had no chance if winning and was just taking unnecessary damage?

I find it hard to believe this moral outrage is actually genuine and not just another excuse to shame someone because it's the trendy thing to do that will be forgotten by tomorrow.

It’s not about the earnings. It’s about the fighter never forgiving you for taking away their shot if you get it wrong. If you think it’s THAT EASY, you likely have never been in that position, as anyone who has says otherwise.
Wow, and you're a mod? I think I remember why I hardy use this site anymore now......

No, I haven’t, but literally every cornerman that’s been on a podcast to talk about it has commentated on the difficulty of the decision. That’s why your take is so ridiculous. They are potentially taking half their fighters pay, and setting them back what could be years of work. It’s not a decision that should be easy for anyone. It’s not about the corners money, it’s about how it impacts the fighters career if they had any shot of winning and weren’t in serious danger

The corner man has no idea what is going on in a fighters body and mind though do they? So if the fighter says that he is done then he is done.

I dont know. I just see a coach that really wanted to motivate their fighter and help them push through it.
He knows that kid better than any of us do. Maybe the fighter quits in practice all the time too and needs that push in the gym?

He should have backed off after the "do you really want to quit" was answered but damn.

Yall bein too much calling for his career to be over

Drysdale was ready to send him out for round 3 against his will. Fuck Drysdale and his hopeful pockets. The kid is a good fighter, but he needs people who are actively relevant to the sport in his corner.

When a fighter wants out, he can verbally submit. Any time.
True, but when a fighter is telling their corner they want out between rounds they are obviously trying to save face by being able to say their corner called it off and when the corner ignores that and sends them back out anyway it's a recipe for disaster and goes against their primary duty of protecting their fighter.

Back