• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Drysdale doubles down on his incompetent cornering of Rohskopf

Phisher

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score

That kid needs to find a different camp, and the standard for cornering in MMA needs to drastically increase before someone dies or suffers life altering injuries in a high-profile UFC fight.

ETA Ariel is reporting that Bob Bennett, head of the NSAC was "disturbed" by Drysdale's cornering and he might have to appear before the commission then next time that they convene.

Another edit: the Washington Post is now covering this story.

It's never good news when mainstream media outlets that never cover MMA pick up on stories like this. They're looking for mud to sling at the sport.

Last edited:

That kid needs to find a different camp, and the standard for cornering in MMA needs to drastically increase before someone dies or suffers life altering injuries in a high-profile UFC fight.

Absolutely reprehensible. I missed this live, and quite frankly am glad I did. This is pure carny nonsense. Drysdale should never corner another fighter again.

It’s a tough spot. It’s always a difficult call for the corner. It’s his debut and I’m sure they knew if he quit on the stool, he’s probably not welcome back. That being said, he had no business in that fight.

It’s a tough spot. It’s always a difficult call for the corner. It’s his debut and I’m sure they knew if he quit on the stool, he’s probably not welcome back. That being said, he had no business in that fight.

It's not a difficult call in the slightest. Corner's job is not to worry about future earnings, it's to worry about the health and safety of their fighter.

I can understand trying to push the guy for a bit (just to see if they can get over the hurdle) but once it's clear that they've mentally quit on the fight, just pull them out to avoid further embarrassment for the fighter.

To do otherwise, is just an attempt to make yourself look good at the expense of the guy fighting.

It's not a difficult call in the slightest. Corner's job is not to worry about future earnings, it's to worry about the health and safety of their fighter.
It’s not about the earnings. It’s about the fighter never forgiving you for taking away their shot if you get it wrong. If you think it’s THAT EASY, you likely have never been in that position, as anyone who has says otherwise.

It’s not about the earnings. It’s about the fighter never forgiving you for taking away their shot if you get it wrong. If you think it’s THAT EASY, you likely have never been in that position, as anyone who has says otherwise.

Calm down there Drysdale. Everything you're saying is WHOLLY irrelevant given the explicit purpose of a corner.

And you caught me, I haven't cornered a UFC fighter. Have you? Have you faught in the UFC? I guess you don't know what it's like to be in that position and should never comment on UFC fights accordingly.

Calm down there Drysdale. Everything you're saying is WHOLLY irrelevant given the explicit purpose of a corner.

And you caught me, I haven't cornered a UFC fighter. Have you? Have you faught in the UFC? I guess you don't know what it's like to be in that position and should never comment of UFC fights accordingly.
No, I haven’t, but literally every cornerman that’s been on a podcast to talk about it has commentated on the difficulty of the decision. That’s why your take is so ridiculous. They are potentially taking half their fighters pay, and setting them back what could be years of work. It’s not a decision that should be easy for anyone. It’s not about the corners money, it’s about how it impacts the fighters career if they had any shot of winning and weren’t in serious danger

I understand trying to give your fighter a mental push, it's commonplace in fights. Even some of the greatest have needed a push in tough fights.

At the same time, this man clearly wasn't having any of that shit. No, I don't want to. Drysdale really needed to understand when that push isn't gonna cut it and stop the fight.

Honestly, props to Rohskopf for saying no and sticking to it. He might not be ready for the UFC but at least he's smart enough to know when he's done.

I forgot what time it started and missed the first fight, but it's complete bullshit to try to force a guy to continue if he doesn't want to

Pathetic. He should never be allowed to corner again.

It's amazing how many people don't recognize this as the indefensible, sickening act that it was. He didn't try to give him a quick pep talk or ask if he was sure a few times. That would have been understandable. His fighter was done though, and said so repeatedly for the entire fucking minute. Save that man, end of story.

Back