Media Drew Dober: Islam Makhachev is not a risk taker like Khabib; kinda plays it safe

they fight the exact same. shields throws more leg kicks and jabs and khabib throws uppercuts and overhand rights but they strike just as little as each other and will chase a takedown for 5 straight minutes.
Actually they arent really alike at all. Khabib doesnt chase a takedown for 5 straight minutes. He goes for it when the oppurtunity is there. He is comfortable standing up until that happens. Look at how long he stood w Barboza,and Iaquinta. Takedown just makes it easier for him.

And what happens when it gets on the ground? Khabib opens up that guard like butter,advances positions at willl,aggressivley hunting for the submission

His style is along w his personality is what has got him so many fans. Shield's performances are nowhere near as thrilling,and Khabib is a more well rounded grappler.

Actually they arent really alike at all. Khabib doesnt chase a takedown for 5 straight minutes. He goes for it when the oppurtunity is there. He is comfortable standing up until that happens. Look at how long he stood w Barboza,and Iaquinta. Takedown just makes it easier for him.

And what happens when it gets on the ground? Khabib opens up that guard like butter,advances positions at willl,aggressivley hunting for the submission

His style is along w his personality is what has got him so many fans. Shield's performances are nowhere near as thrilling,and Khabib is a more well rounded grappler.
shields stood for a long time with GSP and Henderson when he couldn’t get the TD.

if he’s not shields with a right hand he’s justin wilcox with a jiu jitsu game

Despite the fact that he charges right at guys to the point that it makes them panic or freeze up. Sure.
you know who else does that? everyone who has ever shot for a takedown before. ur literally describing wrestling.

you know who else does that? everyone who has ever shot for a takedown before. ur literally describing wrestling.

GSP does that? When?

GSP's style and approach is much more technical than khabib's hard nosed ways

dude what is even the point of mentioning fighters who “occasionally take risks” though? literally every fighter takes occasional risks, the extremes are the only thing worth mentioning.

leon edwards, antonio mckee, jake shields, jon fitch, etc. are safe fighters. khabib is less safe but still safe.
Khabib regularly takes risks dude. Literally all the time. Go back and read my dude

they fight the exact same. shields throws more leg kicks and jabs and khabib throws uppercuts and overhand rights but they strike just as little as each other and will chase a takedown for 5 straight minutes.
20210617_232611.jpg 20210617_232555.jpg

he’s done it in spurts plenty. first koscheck fight, bj penn rematch, dan hardy, nick diaz
GSP's style is way different than Khabib's,bud.

GSP is not an overly aggressive fighter. Khabib is. Most people have to spend the entire fight trying to keep him off of them. GSP is alot more methodical.

Reactions: JKS
i’m convinced you’ve never seen jake shields fight. workhorse wrestler always peppering with GNP and looking for subs, willing to coast if he needs to. that’s khabib to a fucking tee.
Jake literally does not throw half the gnp Khabib does. He is less active literally everywhere. You've definitely never seen a Khabib fight.

my point still stands though, shields’ activity numbers are much closer when you look at their percentages.

Put down the blunt dude. Khabib attempts AND lands more. And he finishes more.
not by a lot though dude. it’s really not. i guess i’d have to see other fighters’ stats to compare but that screenshot didn’t really sway me. you’re looking at 6.8 significant strikes attempted per minute for shields and 8.5 for khabib. more, yes, but not a ton.

would you say chael sonnen was a risk taker?

not by a lot though dude. it’s really not. i guess i’d have to see other fighters’ stats to compare but that screenshot didn’t really sway me. you’re looking at 6.8 significant strikes attempted per minute for shields and 8.5 for khabib. more, yes, but not a ton.

would you say chael sonnen was a risk taker?
That is a difference of 42 strikes per fight my dude. That is a big margin.

And even stepping away from the stats. Stylistically Khabib regularly favors risky offensive positions over high control positions. He also baits guillotine to secure takedowns which is a massive risk. He'll bail on strong positions just to attack a submission or land GnP.

And no I would call Chael defensively inept

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back