• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Drain Bamage talks tech

Well I went from 60hz so that jump was huge for me, I don't think the difference between 144hz and 165hz will be much noticeable so going with either one will be a huge upgrade over 60hz.

It seems a weird number since its not much more than 144hz. I wonder if the 165hz panels have something else going besides 21 more hz.

I just finished rebuilding my media server. Runs so much better now with an ssd. Waiting on my 12 tb drive and I’m good to go.

What does one have to do with the other?

People who can should format every couple years or less.

Lots of crap gets installed and slowly bogs down windows. Keep meaning to format, install everything and make an image

People who can should format every couple years or less.

Lots of crap gets installed and slowly bogs down windows. Keep meaning to format, install everything and make an image

The thing I hate is all the updates Windows has to do. By the time its done updated you can already feel how the updates slow everything down. There's nothing faster than that base install pre-updates.

Try this(or search his channel for the latest version I didn’t pay attention to if this video was current version or not. )

if you have an SSD + HDD/SSHD combo..

make sure you have your 'paging file' set to be managed on your secondary drive.

disable hibernation (elevated command prompt)

disable defragging on SSD boot drive

'uncheck' the compress files 'box' in the properties window of your SSD boot drive.

there's more you can do to better optimize your performance, but those are pretty much the important ones.

Is the free upgrade to Windows 10 over? I kind of want to format my 8 year old laptop that still runs on Windows 7, but I don’t have a CD for any version of Windows.

Is it true 144hz monitors also hsve a 60hz mode

for example if ur playing a single player game and just wanna crank the graphics

for example if ur playing a single player game and just wanna crank the graphics

Playing a game at 144hz doesnt impact system performance. System is still producing frames every second that exceeds the 60 a 60hz monitor can only display per second.

You mean if you crank it and it’s only able to produce 75fps? Then that’s what the monitor is going to run at. You don’t have to change the monitor settings at all to match fluctuations in the frame rate

I don’t know what 60hz mode is unless it’s one of those monitors that like can do 1080 at 120hz or switch to 4k at 60hz

You mean if you crank it and it’s only able to produce 75fps? Then that’s what the monitor is going to run at. You don’t have to change the monitor settings at all to match fluctuations in the frame rate

I don’t know what 60hz mode is unless it’s one of those monitors that like can do 1080 at 120hz or switch to 4k at 60hz

Like for example if you just want to run normal vsync 60fps

on a game like RDR2 that my system can barely run at 60fps at decent settings

or else 60hz would be choppy on 144hz right? since its not an even multiple

edit: i think if I just use an older spec hdmi cable it will default to 60hz mode

Like for example if you just want to run normal vsync 60fps

on a game like RDR2 that my system can barely run at 60fps at decent settings

or else 60hz would be choppy on 144hz right? since its not an even multiple

edit: i think if I just use an older spec hdmi cable it will default to 60hz mode
The monitor always matches the frames being put out. So it can go up to 144. It won't get any more choppy than a 60FPS monitor at 60FPS is. Does that help?

Seems like eveything works out of the box do you really need to insall INF driver and Asmedia Sata3 driver etc..

ME driver
Intel LAN driver (im already online so...?)

if you have an nvidia gpu, in the control panel (right click desktop), under each program's settings, scroll down for VSYNC and try out FAST sync when you're netting 60+ but not 144 frames. some game engines will work better than others (some like AC Origins/Odyssey wont help much and prefer their own) w fast sync. a good tip to try in tandem w fast sync or even forcing nvidia's vsync ON (also to note, anytime youre using nvidida's settings [driver level] make sure to turn vsync off in game) is to cap your game to a divisible of your refresh rate. 144hz/4=36. these are your 'sync states'. one will notice at 36, 72, 108, 144 fps are much smoother than the interval frames, especially a fully synced 72hz cap on a 144z monitor. forcing vsync on in nvidia's will usually sync you with the best frametimes as well especially when using rtss or any driver level frame cap. if applicable always frame cap in-game first, if not then nvidia cp or rtss.

tldr check out fast sync for nvidia, frame capping is very helpful.

yes and most will have a much better color depth in 60hz mode. this is much more common with older dvi linked monitors.

edit: this can also help with emulators that are capped to 30fps while on a 144hz monitor.

Back