Dragao or Howard

PounDDer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing one of these gi's in double weave. Anyone order from their sites?

I originally wanted an Atama, but they are back ordered until the end of August.

I am 6'3, 225lbs. On the Howard site, it says for me to buy a size 7 jacket, size 6 pants, but has anyone worn these and are the sizes loose or tight fit?

Dragao are one of the best gi in the world. I would recommend them wholeheartedly. The quality and design are way beyond most other gi out there and they have a history of making gi of about 20 plus years in Brazil.
The web site is in brazilian but if you pm me I will give you the email direct to the owner who speaks superb English. I think they are the best double in the world.

The HCK doubles are out of stock right now and Howard won't be getting any more in until Aug. He will have the singles in stock this month. So if you are set on either a Howard or a Dragao and you want it now I would have t say give Roy a call.

www.SSFgear.com

We only have one left in A4 which would fit you and that is in white. You could order from Dragao themselves though but the shipping tends to be slow. But, like I said, I would be happy to give you the boss's email.
Cheerz Ron

Dragao......... order it today and write a review on sherdog asap.... I want one of these badboys.

Fightgear UK said:
We only have one left in A4 which would fit you and that is in white. You could order from Dragao themselves though but the shipping tends to be slow. But, like I said, I would be happy to give you the boss's email.
Cheerz Ron
what do u think of the hck double/single?

I have a 7 year old HCK double that's still in great shape. I also have a 4 year old HCK single that I wear all the time. I don't think you can beat a HCK gi for the price, they are solid well made gis. THe collar is thick as hell and the fit is perfect.

www.SSFgear.com

Someone told me that the hck were Mizunos that Howard got altered in a large quantity in japan. When he brought them back they sold like hot cakes and said to him self "hey ive got a buisness" From what i head they are made in same factory as the mizunos only rebadged and with different specifications to suit howards request.

Mizuno realized howards ability to make good $ off these kimonos and then developed their own version of the Jiu jitsu kimono and had the biggest name in jiu jitsu endorse it...... Rickson gracie.

So i really dont think you could go wrong with an hck....

hck is great. I have a comp single, and as soon as they are in I will be purchasing a comp double

PounDDer said:
I am considering purchasing one of these gi's in double weave. Anyone order from their sites?

I originally wanted an Atama, but they are back ordered until the end of August.

I am 6'3, 225lbs. On the Howard site, it says for me to buy a size 7 jacket, size 6 pants, but has anyone worn these and are the sizes loose or tight fit?

Sir ,
Like Roy said , Dragao is among the best doubles in the world , Machado also is awesome , but they are gone now ...we even tried to continue their saga , but the original owner wanted too much MONEY ....

Email us and we will get you a custom A5 for you , do not think A6 will be your case , although we sold A6 Fire for a 6'4 guy with 260lb , big M*F* ever manufactured by them.. :)

Cheers

im 6'2 190 and im squeezing into an a3...... but its at the edge of regulation.

I wanted an atama double also but they were back ordered so i had to get a gold weave... we will see how that turns out.

So if I go with a Dragao, which I plan on doing now, I should get a A3????

PounDDer:
N0 - the Dragao is made to shrink fit. If you get an A3 the chances are it will drop in washing to being too small. I would suggest an A4.
Lol - Alex. I have a 'Fire' absolutely stunning gi. Each one is hand painted by a little old guy so each one is totally unique. Our sponsored fighters all wear Dragao and love them. Dragao is a massively underated company and brand. The owner is one of the nicest guys in the business. I'd say that the Dragao is my senior students gi of choice because it always looks smart and wears incredibly well. Unlike a gold weave, it doesn't look 'lived in' as quickly.

Fightgear UK said:
PounDDer:
N0 - the Dragao is made to shrink fit. If you get an A3 the chances are it will drop in washing to being too small. I would suggest an A4.
Lol - Alex. I have a 'Fire' absolutely stunning gi. Each one is hand painted by a little old guy so each one is totally unique. Our sponsored fighters all wear Dragao and love them. Dragao is a massively underated company and brand. The owner is one of the nicest guys in the business. I'd say that the Dragao is my senior students gi of choice because it always looks smart and wears incredibly well. Unlike a gold weave, it doesn't look 'lived in' as quickly.

Sorry. We spoke to Alex , we did not see the chart in the Website , he should get an A4 and we have 1 left in stock ! Be the lucky one Poundder! A5 will be kind of big but he can wash to fit him..

GSOARES - You got story partially correct. In 1996 I was on a business trip to Hong Kong, looking for a martial arts uniform sewing factory to sew some BJJ uniforms of my own design. I stumbled across the factory that sews for both Mizuno and Adidas (as well as a few other high end Judo gis) At the time I was the very first to bring them a BJJ concept.

HCK took off, and has become universally acknowledged as the World's finest grappling uniform (numerous consumer report articles in Martial Arts and Sports magazines around the World verify this). In 2000 the Hong Kong sewing factory, behind my back and without authorization, shared my design, construction and fabric secrets, and specifications to both Mizuno and Adidas. The Rickson Gracie Mizuno gis AND the Jean Jacques Machado Adidas Signature gis are made off of my designs. So, I am actually the creator/origin of both of these lines.

When I found this out I fired the Hong Kong sewing factory. I then discovered another factory in Southern China, that is actually a superior sewing factory to my original Hong Hong source. My uniforms have been made in Southern China since 2000, so there is no longer a connection between HCK and the factory that sews for Mizuno and Adidas.

I still get correspondence from the Hong Kong sewing factory seeking advice on improving the Mizuno and Adidas BJJ line (there is a lot of current irregularities and inconsistencies within these lines that I hear a lot of complaints about). But since both Mizuno and Adidas got their BJJ start illegitimately, I refuse to help.

On a side note, I helped John Ouano when he had ideas on making a BJJ gi back in the day. He came up to me at an event and told me he was going to start a BJJ gi company and if I would help with any design, construction, manufacturing advice. I like him, and respected his straight forward approach. So I consulted him and gave him some advice.

Now you know the whole story of HCK.

Howard Liu

HOWARD COMBAT KIMONOS

wow, great post, you won me over, im gonna get a comp single :)

Just to equal things up on background....
Dragao was formed in 1974 and have been manufacturing uniforms for judo, karate and BJJ. They, alongside Krugans were one of the first companies to manufacture a design specifically for BJJ. In fact, Dragao was the first company to produce a blue gi for judo! This was well before the colour was approved by the IJF.

Their design started with BJJ fighters coming to the owner and asking for specific design features so the current Dragao is an amalgamation on all the desired features by the top fighters of the 1990's and is continually updated. These features include a slim cuff and reinforced collar which is amongst the stiffest available. The cut of the top is trim and the materials used are top class. Even the Dragao patch is silked.

This gi is one of Brazil's hidden gems. The quality screams out before you even wear it and in all my years involved with BJJ, I have yet to see a gi which looks as good or wears as well even when it is a few years old.

Back