Dragao or Howard

GSOARES - You got story partially correct. In 1996 I was on a business trip to Hong Kong, looking for a martial arts uniform sewing factory to sew some BJJ uniforms of my own design. I stumbled across the factory that sews for both Mizuno and Adidas (as well as a few other high end Judo gis) At the time I was the very first to bring them a BJJ concept.

HCK took off, and has become universally acknowledged as the World's finest grappling uniform (numerous consumer report articles in Martial Arts and Sports magazines around the World verify this). In 2000 the Hong Kong sewing factory, behind my back and without authorization, shared my design, construction and fabric secrets, and specifications to both Mizuno and Adidas. The Rickson Gracie Mizuno gis AND the Jean Jacques Machado Adidas Signature gis are made off of my designs. So, I am actually the creator/origin of both of these lines.

When I found this out I fired the Hong Kong sewing factory. I then discovered another factory in Southern China, that is actually a superior sewing factory to my original Hong Hong source. My uniforms have been made in Southern China since 2000, so there is no longer a connection between HCK and the factory that sews for Mizuno and Adidas.

I still get correspondence from the Hong Kong sewing factory seeking advice on improving the Mizuno and Adidas BJJ line (there is a lot of current irregularities and inconsistencies within these lines that I hear a lot of complaints about). But since both Mizuno and Adidas got their BJJ start illegitimately, I refuse to help.

On a side note, I helped John Ouano when he had ideas on making a BJJ gi back in the day. He came up to me at an event and told me he was going to start a BJJ gi company and if I would help with any design, construction, manufacturing advice. I like him, and respected his straight forward approach. So I consulted him and gave him some advice.

Now you know the whole story of HCK.

Howard Liu

HOWARD COMBAT KIMONOS
TTT

Great piece of gi History right here.

Howard Gis are now made in Taiwan actually.

After just acquiring some Adidas machado models I am very confident they are coming out of the same factory. Very quality armor like Gis for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Howard Gis are now made in Taiwan actually.

After just acquiring some Adidas machado models I am very confident they are coming out of the same factory. Very quality armor like Gis for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

You seem like a nice guy, but when you say stuff like this, you sound extremely ill informed and borderline foolish.

My uniforms are sewn in China, and have been since 2000.

Howard Liu

HOWARD COMBAT KIMONOS

You seem like a nice guy, but when you say stuff like this, you sound extremely ill informed and borderline foolish.

My uniforms are sewn in China, and have been since 2000.

Howard Liu

HOWARD COMBAT KIMONOS

dude every forum you post on you come off as a jerk. I wish that wasn't so. I just said your uniforms were quality.

Your shipments are coming in from Taipei/Taiwan. You have had 12 crates shipped to you since 2007. If you need me to show you your invoices let me know and i'll email them to you.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Both brand produce super durable and comfy gi

BUT they are heavy compare to other brand

Last edited:
Back