Social Dr. Sanjay Gupta backs up Trump's CDC director's claim the Virus was a lab escape

MSM includes the right. Not sure why you are creating this tangent that has nothing to do with the topic.

Your theory of the Media being "lazy" is completely bogus and if you believe that you are an idiot.

Again, information about the virus leaking out of a Wuhan lab that took funds from the US that resulted in hundreds of thousands of deaths in the US and a lockdown that killed jobs in the US IS NOT INTERNATIONAL NEWS.
I said laziness is one of the factors, not the sole factor. I also said American media , traditionally, didn't want to devote resources for international news or wanted to keep Americans in the dark.

At the start the media reported this was from the market, because that was the Chinese were reporting and global media were just parroting this.

BREAKING NEWS

Rand Paul questioning Dr. Fauci

Question : Paul asks Fauci if he still supports NIH funding of the Wuhan Inst. of Virology
Answer: Fauci does give a strawman answer here, claiming the NIH has never funded gain of function research at the WIV. He later does state that the NIH did send funding to the WIV, and explains this was because of the 2002 SARS Cov 1 virus.

Answer : Fauci does repeat that the NIH and Niaid has not and never has funded gain of function research at WIV.

Question : Rand asks Fauci if he can categorically state the virus did not leak from the lab.
Answer : Fauci says he has no knowledge of what the Chinese got up to. Says he is in favor of investigation in China.

Last edited:
BREAKING NEWS

Rand Paul questioning Dr. Fauci

Paul asks Fauci if he still supports NIH funding of the Wuhan Inst. of Virology

Fauci does give a strawman answer here, claiming the NIH has never funded gain of function research at the WIV. He later does state that the NIH did send funding to the WIV, and explains this was because of the 2002 SARS Cov 1 virus.

Fauci does repeat that the NIH and Niaid has not and never has funded gain of function research to WIV.

He seems to be arguing about the definition of what gain of function research is during that. I was going to link that up for you next.

It makes me think that they were skirting the borders of what was appropriate in the US and that they went overseas with good intentions to prevent exactly what has happened. Fauci name just happens to be linked to it due to his position.

He seems to be arguing about the definition of what gain of function research is during that. I was going to link that up for you next.

It makes me think that they were skirting the borders of what was appropriate in the US and that they went overseas with good intentions to prevent exactly what has happened. Fauci name just happens to be linked to it due to his position.

Yeah Rand asks if the NIH funded Dr. Barret's gain of function research.

Fauci replies that Dr. Barret does not conduct gain of function, and if it is it is done in North Carolina.

Rand questions why Fauci does not think inserting a bat virus spike protein he got from WIV into the SARS virus is not gain of function reseatch.

Fauci says it is not. Rand counters 200 scientists have signed a letter saying it is.

Yeah Rand asks if the NIH funded Dr. Barret's gain of function research.

Fauci replies that Dr. Barret does not conduct gain of function, and if it is it is done in North Carolina.

Rand questions why Fauci does not think inserting a bat virus spike protein he got from WIV into the SARS virus is not gain of function reseatch.

Fauci says it is not. Rand counters 200 scientists have signed a letter saying it is.

It's definitely interesting. I would like to see how it all rolls out. I definitely think research in China regardless appears to have been a poor idea. It seems impossible to investigate what the hell had happened.

The telling part was him saying he thinks it would be irresponsible not to investigate the bat virus. I think there is definitely more to the whole situation but we will never know unless they want a scapegoat.

It's definitely interesting. I would like to see how it all rolls out. I definitely think research in China regardless appears to have been a poor idea. It seems impossible to investigate what the hell had happened.

The telling part was him saying he thinks it would be irresponsible not to investigate the bat virus. I think there is definitely more to the whole situation but we will never know unless they want a scapegoat.

Well I hope all our big media entities focus in on the origin of the virus and admit there is no evidence yet of a natural spill over so the lab leak hypothesis should not be dismissed.

Well I hope all our big media entities focus in on the origin of the virus and admit there is no evidence yet of a natural spill over so the lab leak hypothesis should not be dismissed.

It is pretty sad that you now get better news from youtube than CNN, Fox etc.

I will put it out there that I get more from Stephen Crowder and just searching my way through his sources to check them on top of things like The Hill etc. I basically just find something interesting and just search articles both for and against. This is especially true for any fact checks as I generally find the fact check sources are their own articles or completely irrelevant besides a single sentencve.

Hopefully media starts doing better soon or youtube will be mainstream news and all these so called journalists will be gone.

It is pretty sad that you know get better news from youtube than CNN, Fox etc.

I will put it out there that I get more from Stephen Crowder and just searching my way through his sources to check them on top of things like The Hill etc. I basically just find something interesting and just search articles both for and against. This is especially true for any fact checks as I generally find the fact check sources are their own articles or completely irrelevant besides a single sentencve.

Hopefully media starts doing better soon or youtube will be mainstream news and all these so called journalists will be gone.
Here is a good channel on all things China. These 2 guys speak Mandarin and lived in China for over a decade. They were amongt the first to throw suspicion on the offical theory ,i.e. virus came from wet market. Back in 2020 Feb or March they were pointing out the holes in the wetmarket theory

Here is their new video on the virus origin coverup. They provide some valuable content that you won't find elsewhere, like Peter Daszak's incredulous attempts to dismiss the lab leak theory and suggest the virus could have come from outside via frozen seafood. Daszak was also criticsed by Nichals Wade in that recent Bulletin of Atomic scientists article. Daszak is friends with the researchers at the WIV and provided funding for it.

I said laziness is one of the factors, not the sole factor. I also said American media , traditionally, didn't want to devote resources for international news or wanted to keep Americans in the dark.

At the start the media reported this was from the market, because that was the Chinese were reporting and global media were just parroting this.
Why do you keep insisting on this being international news? So not reporting on the lab leak is "lazyness because it's international news", but reporting that it came from a wet market isn't? Huh?

That's more like it!

Why do you keep insisting on this being international news? So not reporting on the lab leak is "lazyness because it's international news", but reporting that it came from a wet market isn't? Huh?
It's international as far as the origin story goes, because the virus origin trail starts in China. Sure it is related to our own virus situation but our media typically does a shitty job at delving deep into issue that happen overseas.

Reporting it came from the wet market takes little effort or guts, because that is what everyone else was reporting, because that is what the Chinese innitially said and we all saw its emergence in Wuhan.

If the MSM does not now bring up the points made by Wade and others who say the lab leak hypothesis should not be dismissed and if they don't critically look at Peter Daszak, then our media is intentionally trying to keep the public in the dark.

Last edited:
It's international as far as the origin story goes, because the virus origin trail starts in China. Sure it is related to our own virus situation but our media typically does a shitty job at delving deep into issue that happen overseas.

Reporting it came from the wet market takes little effort or guts, because that is what everyone else was reporting, because that is what the Chinese innitially said and we all saw its emergence in Wuhan.
You don't come off as incredibly bright. No point in continuing this discussion.

Question : Paul asks Fauci if he still supports NIH funding of the Wuhan Inst. of Virology
Answer: Fauci does give a strawman answer here, claiming the NIH has never funded gain of function research at the WIV. He later does state that the NIH did send funding to the WIV, and explains this was because of the 2002 SARS Cov 1 virus.

Answer : Fauci does repeat that the NIH and Niaid has not and never has funded gain of function research at WIV.

https://www.newsweek.com/dr-fauci-b...lars-risky-coronavirus-research-1500741?amp=1

Dr. Fauci Backed Controversial Wuhan Lab with U.S. Dollars for Risky Coronavirus Research
By Fred Guterl On 4/28/20 at 2:57 PM EDT

fauci-trump-corornavirus-covid-19-pandemic-research-nih.webp

Biomedical research ultimately protects public health, said Dr. Anthony Fauci, in explaining his support for controversial research.Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Dr. Anthony Fauci is an adviser to President Donald Trump and something of an American folk hero for his steady, calm leadership during the pandemic crisis. At least one poll shows that Americans trust Fauci more than Trump on the coronavirus pandemic—and few scientists are portrayed on TV by Brad Pitt.

But just last year, the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, the organization led by Dr. Fauci, funded scientists at the Wuhan Institute of Virology and other institutions for work on gain-of-function research on bat coronaviruses.

In 2019, with the backing of NIAID, the National Institutes of Health committed $3.7 million over six years for research that included some gain-of-function work. The program followed another $3.7 million, 5-year project for collecting and studying bat coronaviruses, which ended in 2019, bringing the total to $7.4 million.

Many scientists have criticized gain of function research, which involves manipulating viruses in the lab to explore their potential for infecting humans, because it creates a risk of starting a pandemic from accidental release.

SARS-CoV-2 , the virus now causing a global pandemic, is believed to have originated in bats. U.S. intelligence, after originally asserting that the coronavirus had occurred naturally, conceded last month that the pandemic may have originated in a leak from the Wuhan lab. (At this point most scientists say it's possible—but not likely—that the pandemic virus was engineered or manipulated.)

Dr. Fauci did not respond to Newsweek's requests for comment. NIH responded with a statement that said in part: "Most emerging human viruses come from wildlife, and these represent a significant threat to public health and biosecurity in the US and globally, as demonstrated by the SARS epidemic of 2002-03, and the current COVID-19 pandemic.... scientific research indicates that there is no evidence that suggests the virus was created in a laboratory."

The NIH research consisted of two parts. The first part began in 2014 and involved surveillance of bat coronaviruses, and had a budget of $3.7 million. The program funded Shi Zheng-Li, a virologist at the Wuhan lab, and other researchers to investigate and catalogue bat coronaviruses in the wild. This part of the project was completed in 2019.

A second phase of the project, beginning that year, included additional surveillance work but also gain-of-function research for the purpose of understanding how bat coronaviruses could mutate to attack humans. The project was run by EcoHealth Alliance, a non-profit research group, under the direction of President Peter Daszak, an expert on disease ecology. NIH canceled the project just this past Friday, April 24th, Politico reported. Daszak did not immediately respond to Newsweek requests for comment.

The project proposal states: "We will use S protein sequence data, infectious clone technology, in vitro and in vivo infection experiments and analysis of receptor binding to test the hypothesis that % divergence thresholds in S protein sequences predict spillover potential."

In layman's terms, "spillover potential" refers to the ability of a virus to jump from animals to humans, which requires that the virus be able to attach to receptors in the cells of humans. SARS-CoV-2, for instance, is adept at binding to the ACE2 receptor in human lungs and other organs.

According to Richard Ebright, an infectious disease expert at Rutgers University, the project description refers to experiments that would enhance the ability of bat coronavirus to infect human cells and laboratory animals using techniques of genetic engineering. In the wake of the pandemic, that is a noteworthy detail.

Ebright, along with many other scientists, has been a vocal opponent of gain-of-function research because of the risk it presents of creating a pandemic through accidental release from a lab.

Dr. Fauci is renowned for his work on the HIV/AIDS crisis in the 1990s. Born in Brooklyn, he graduated first in his class from Cornell University Medical College in 1966. As head of NIAID since 1984, he has served as an adviser to every U.S. president since Ronald Reagan.

A decade ago, during a controversy over gain-of-function research on bird-flu viruses, Dr. Fauci played an important role in promoting the work. He argued that the research was worth the risk it entailed because it enables scientists to make preparations, such as investigating possible anti-viral medications, that could be useful if and when a pandemic occurred.

The work in question was a type of gain-of-function research that involved taking wild viruses and passing them through live animals until they mutate into a form that could pose a pandemic threat. Scientists used it to take a virus that was poorly transmitted among humans and make it into one that was highly transmissible—a hallmark of a pandemic virus. This work was done by infecting a series of ferrets, allowing the virus to mutate until a ferret that hadn't been deliberately infected contracted the disease.

The work entailed risks that worried even seasoned researchers. More than 200 scientists called for the work to be halted. The problem, they said, is that it increased the likelihood that a pandemic would occur through a laboratory accident.

Dr. Fauci defended the work. "[D]etermining the molecular Achilles' heel of these viruses can allow scientists to identify novel antiviral drug targets that could be used to prevent infection in those at risk or to better treat those who become infected," wrote Fauci and two co-authors in the Washington Post on December 30, 2011. "Decades of experience tells us that disseminating information gained through biomedical research to legitimate scientists and health officials provides a critical foundation for generating appropriate countermeasures and, ultimately, protecting the public health."

Nevertheless, in 2014, under pressure from the Obama administration, the National of Institutes of Health instituted a moratorium on the work, suspending 21 studies.

Three years later, though—in December 2017—the NIH ended the moratorium and the second phase of the NIAID project, which included the gain-of-function research, began. The NIH established a framework for determining how the research would go forward: scientists have to get approval from a panel of experts, who would decide whether the risks were justified.

The reviews were indeed conducted—but in secret, for which the NIH has drawn criticism. In early 2019, after a reporter for Science magazine discovered that the NIH had approved two influenza research projects that used gain of function methods, scientists who oppose this kind of research excoriated the NIH in an editorial in the Washington Post.

"We have serious doubts about whether these experiments should be conducted at all," wrote Tom Inglesby of Johns Hopkins University and Marc Lipsitch of Harvard. "[W]ith deliberations kept behind closed doors, none of us will have the opportunity to understand how the government arrived at these decisions or to judge the rigor and integrity of that process."

Correction 5/5, 6:20 p.m.: The headline of this story has been corrected to reflect that the Wuhan lab received only a part of the millions of U.S. dollars allocated for virus research.

tl;dr - fauci's lying again.

Last edited:
There is a complete lack of evidence of any of this, by his own admission. It’s also surprising that the former head of the CDC finds the fact that it spreads readily in humans super convincing that it was genetically engineered. This thinking is super faulty.

https://www.newsweek.com/dr-fauci-b...lars-risky-coronavirus-research-1500741?amp=1

Dr. Fauci Backed Controversial Wuhan Lab with U.S. Dollars for Risky Coronavirus Research

Biomedical research ultimately protects public health, said Dr. Anthony Fauci, in explaining his support for controversial research.Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Dr. Anthony Fauci is an adviser to President Donald Trump and something of an American folk hero for his steady, calm leadership during the pandemic crisis. At least one poll shows that Americans trust Fauci more than Trump on the coronavirus pandemic—and few scientists are portrayed on TV by Brad Pitt.

But just last year, the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, the organization led by Dr. Fauci, funded scientists at the Wuhan Institute of Virology and other institutions for work on gain-of-function research on bat coronaviruses.

In 2019, with the backing of NIAID, the National Institutes of Health committed $3.7 million over six years for research that included some gain-of-function work. The program followed another $3.7 million, 5-year project for collecting and studying bat coronaviruses, which ended in 2019, bringing the total to $7.4 million.

Many scientists have criticized gain of function research, which involves manipulating viruses in the lab to explore their potential for infecting humans, because it creates a risk of starting a pandemic from accidental release.

SARS-CoV-2 , the virus now causing a global pandemic, is believed to have originated in bats. U.S. intelligence, after originally asserting that the coronavirus had occurred naturally, conceded last month that the pandemic may have originated in a leak from the Wuhan lab. (At this point most scientists say it's possible—but not likely—that the pandemic virus was engineered or manipulated.)

Dr. Fauci did not respond to Newsweek's requests for comment. NIH responded with a statement that said in part: "Most emerging human viruses come from wildlife, and these represent a significant threat to public health and biosecurity in the US and globally, as demonstrated by the SARS epidemic of 2002-03, and the current COVID-19 pandemic.... scientific research indicates that there is no evidence that suggests the virus was created in a laboratory."

The NIH research consisted of two parts. The first part began in 2014 and involved surveillance of bat coronaviruses, and had a budget of $3.7 million. The program funded Shi Zheng-Li, a virologist at the Wuhan lab, and other researchers to investigate and catalogue bat coronaviruses in the wild. This part of the project was completed in 2019.

A second phase of the project, beginning that year, included additional surveillance work but also gain-of-function research for the purpose of understanding how bat coronaviruses could mutate to attack humans. The project was run by EcoHealth Alliance, a non-profit research group, under the direction of President Peter Daszak, an expert on disease ecology. NIH canceled the project just this past Friday, April 24th, Politico reported. Daszak did not immediately respond to Newsweek requests for comment.

The project proposal states: "We will use S protein sequence data, infectious clone technology, in vitro and in vivo infection experiments and analysis of receptor binding to test the hypothesis that % divergence thresholds in S protein sequences predict spillover potential."

In layman's terms, "spillover potential" refers to the ability of a virus to jump from animals to humans, which requires that the virus be able to attach to receptors in the cells of humans. SARS-CoV-2, for instance, is adept at binding to the ACE2 receptor in human lungs and other organs.

According to Richard Ebright, an infectious disease expert at Rutgers University, the project description refers to experiments that would enhance the ability of bat coronavirus to infect human cells and laboratory animals using techniques of genetic engineering. In the wake of the pandemic, that is a noteworthy detail.

Ebright, along with many other scientists, has been a vocal opponent of gain-of-function research because of the risk it presents of creating a pandemic through accidental release from a lab.

Dr. Fauci is renowned for his work on the HIV/AIDS crisis in the 1990s. Born in Brooklyn, he graduated first in his class from Cornell University Medical College in 1966. As head of NIAID since 1984, he has served as an adviser to every U.S. president since Ronald Reagan.

A decade ago, during a controversy over gain-of-function research on bird-flu viruses, Dr. Fauci played an important role in promoting the work. He argued that the research was worth the risk it entailed because it enables scientists to make preparations, such as investigating possible anti-viral medications, that could be useful if and when a pandemic occurred.

The work in question was a type of gain-of-function research that involved taking wild viruses and passing them through live animals until they mutate into a form that could pose a pandemic threat. Scientists used it to take a virus that was poorly transmitted among humans and make it into one that was highly transmissible—a hallmark of a pandemic virus. This work was done by infecting a series of ferrets, allowing the virus to mutate until a ferret that hadn't been deliberately infected contracted the disease.

The work entailed risks that worried even seasoned researchers. More than 200 scientists called for the work to be halted. The problem, they said, is that it increased the likelihood that a pandemic would occur through a laboratory accident.

Dr. Fauci defended the work. "[D]etermining the molecular Achilles' heel of these viruses can allow scientists to identify novel antiviral drug targets that could be used to prevent infection in those at risk or to better treat those who become infected," wrote Fauci and two co-authors in the Washington Post on December 30, 2011. "Decades of experience tells us that disseminating information gained through biomedical research to legitimate scientists and health officials provides a critical foundation for generating appropriate countermeasures and, ultimately, protecting the public health."

Nevertheless, in 2014, under pressure from the Obama administration, the National of Institutes of Health instituted a moratorium on the work, suspending 21 studies.

Three years later, though—in December 2017—the NIH ended the moratorium and the second phase of the NIAID project, which included the gain-of-function research, began. The NIH established a framework for determining how the research would go forward: scientists have to get approval from a panel of experts, who would decide whether the risks were justified.

The reviews were indeed conducted—but in secret, for which the NIH has drawn criticism. In early 2019, after a reporter for Science magazine discovered that the NIH had approved two influenza research projects that used gain of function methods, scientists who oppose this kind of research excoriated the NIH in an editorial in the Washington Post.

"We have serious doubts about whether these experiments should be conducted at all," wrote Tom Inglesby of Johns Hopkins University and Marc Lipsitch of Harvard. "[W]ith deliberations kept behind closed doors, none of us will have the opportunity to understand how the government arrived at these decisions or to judge the rigor and integrity of that process."

Correction 5/5, 6:20 p.m.: The headline of this story has been corrected to reflect that the Wuhan lab received only a part of the millions of U.S. dollars allocated for virus research.

The Newsweek article says the Niaid under Fauci funded gain of fuction research at the W.I.V.
Fauci caterogrically states the US funding did not fund gain of function research.

I find it hard to believe he would soo blatantly lie in front of Rand Paul, because it would be very easy to find out if the US funding went to GOF research.

The Newsweek article says the Niaid under Fauci funded gain of fuction research at the W.I.V.
Fauci caterogrically states the US funding did not fund gain of function research.

I find it hard to believe he would soo blatantly lie in front of Rand Paul, because it would be very easy to find out if the US funding went to GOF research.

Interesting article... especially the initial paragraphs that showed the early scientists who claimed there was no way this virus came from the Wuhan lab... were the scientist who worked there... lol.

Origins of COVID-19: Who Opened Pandora’s Box at Wuhan – People or Nature?
https://science.thewire.in/the-scie...pened-pandoras-box-at-wuhan-people-or-nature/

It later turned out that the Lancet letter had been organised and drafted by Peter Daszak, president of the EcoHealth Alliance of New York. Dr. Daszak’s organization funded coronavirus research at the Wuhan Institute of Virology. If the SARS2 virus had indeed escaped from research he funded, Dr. Daszak would be potentially culpable. This acute conflict of interest was not declared to the Lancet’s readers. To the contrary, the letter concluded, “We declare no competing interests.”

History of Corovirus Research at Wuhan
Researchers at the Wuhan Institute of Virology, led by China’s leading expert on bat viruses, Dr. Shi Zheng-li or “Bat Lady”, mounted frequent expeditions to the bat-infested caves of Yunnan in southern China and collected around a hundred different bat coronaviruses.

Dr. Shi then teamed up with Ralph S. Baric, an eminent coronavirus researcher at the University of North Carolina. Their work focused on enhancing the ability of bat viruses to attack humans so as to “examine the emergence potential (that is, the potential to infect humans) of circulating bat CoVs [coronaviruses].” In pursuit of this aim, in November 2015 they created a novel virus by taking the backbone of the SARS1 virus and replacing its spike protein with one from a bat virus (known as SHC014-CoV). This manufactured virus was able to infect the cells of the human airway, at least when tested against a lab culture of such cells.

The SHC014-CoV/SARS1 virus is known as a chimera because its genome contains genetic material from two strains of virus. If the SARS2 virus were to have been cooked up in Dr. Shi’s lab, then its direct prototype would have been the SHC014-CoV/SARS1 chimera, the potential danger of which concerned many observers and prompted intense discussion.

“If the virus escaped, nobody could predict the trajectory,” said Simon Wain-Hobson, a virologist at the Pasteur Institute in Paris.

Dr. Baric and Dr. Shi referred to the obvious risks in their paper but argued they should be weighed against the benefit of foreshadowing future spillovers. Scientific review panels, they wrote, “may deem similar studies building chimeric viruses based on circulating strains too risky to pursue.” Given various restrictions being placed on gain-of function (GOF) research, matters had arrived in their view at “a crossroads of GOF research concerns; the potential to prepare for and mitigate future outbreaks must be weighed against the risk of creating more dangerous pathogens. In developing policies moving forward, it is important to consider the value of the data generated by these studies and whether these types of chimeric virus studies warrant further investigation versus the inherent risks involved.”

That statement was made in 2015. From the hindsight of 2021, one can say that the value of gain-of-function studies in preventing the SARS2 epidemic was zero. The risk was catastrophic, if indeed the SARS2 virus was generated in a gain-of-function experiment.

Yikes... Pandora's Box indeed

This paper doesn't disprove lab leak or even that the more extreme theory that the virus was created due to intentional manipulation. It is unlikely that the true origin will never be proven conclusively either way. The only thing we can do is take the evidence that is available and make a determination off of that. I think it’s important that we get this right. So hopefully we can prevent another more serious pandemic in the future.

Bioinformatic analysis indicates that SARS-CoV-2 is unrelated to known artificial coronaviruses

https://europeanreview.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/4558-4564.pdf

Here is a paper that claims the above paper is flawed as the pangolins being the intermediary host is unlikely. This paper seems to lean towards the intentional manipulation origin for sars-cov2.

Should we discount the laboratory origin of COVID-19?
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10311-021-01211-0

Last edited:

Checkmate

The below section stands out, as we have tons of doctors and scientists claiming Ivermectin (an antiviral drug) is highly effective at combatting Covid, yet health authorities have gone to lengths to NOT approve it's use.

"A decade ago, during a controversy over gain-of-function research on bird-flu viruses, Dr. Fauci played an important role in promoting the work. He argued that the research was worth the risk it entailed because it enables scientists to make preparations, such as investigating possible anti-viral medications, that could be useful if and when a pandemic occurred."

This paper doesn't disprove lab leak or even that the more extreme theory that the virus was created due to intentional manipulation. It is unlikely that the true origin will never be proven conclusively either way. The only thing we can do is take the evidence that is available and make a determination off of that. I think it’s important that we get this right. So hopefully we can prevent another more serious pandemic in the future.

One paper i read was quite confident that the direct descendant to sars-cov-2 in nature could be found if the resources are directed towards it. In that paper they showed a number of closely related viruses with different degrees of genetic similarity (including bits of the furin insert in sars-cov-2) in bats in south-east asian region, extending as far as Japan. Even still, im not sure if this could exclude the possibility of an accidental infection of a researcher who was, for example, handling yet to be sequenced bat samples. Given that both sars and mers emerged in nature, it should be a strong indication that the same thing happened, and could happen again, but the locus of the WIV is just something that i dont think will ever be able to be overcome, especially as the Chinese have obstructed a proper investigation.

Back