Dr Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack

I'm not sure how I feel about the album so far, I'm enjoying it but it has fell flat a few times. I need to listen to it more before I decide if it's going into my rotation. I noticed that he left that old school California vibe in favor of a new electric sound. I also am not a big fan of Kendrick, I like some of his stuff but very little.

The stand outs on first listen

It's all on me
For the love of money
Animals

What do you mean by build on? 2001 is a completely sound than The Chronic. In fact all his albums are. 2001 is a completely different sound than Aftermath Presents. And Aftermath Presents is a completely different sound than The Chronic. And aside from a couple songs, The Chronic is a different sound than Efil4zaggin. And Efil4zaggin is a different sound than Straight Outta Compton. Which is a different sound than his work on the World Class Wreckin Cru.

I can't imagine how anyone would listen to this album and mistake it for R&B. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Dre didn't rap about killing anyone on 2001.

efil4zaggin and the Chronic are cut from the same cloth. I understand that his production always changes but it's that Dre sound he had that I used to be able to spot that I miss. Hard to explain. I like Lil John too and he's got a unique sound that I can or could spot when he produced someone.

And Dre rapped about killing everyone on the Chronic with some of my favourite lyrics:

"Got a VCR
in the back of my car
that I ganked from the Slauson Swap Meet
And motherfuckers better not try to stop me
Cuz they will see that I can't be stopped
Cuz I'ma **** my Glock and pop til they all drop"

... and I need to listen to this new new album, I skimmed it.

Pretty good so far. Definitely has modern influences (trap beats) but its definitely a Dr. Dre album.

Hearing Snoop actually giving a shit and rapping is fucking strange in 2015, you can also hear Kendrick's writing scattered across the album

efil4zaggin and the Chronic are cut from the same cloth. I understand that his production always changes but it's that Dre sound he had that I used to be able to spot that I miss. Hard to explain. I like Lil John too and he's got a unique sound that I can or could spot when he produced someone.

And Dre rapped about killing everyone on the Chronic with some of my favourite lyrics:

"Got a VCR
in the back of my car
that I ganked from the Slauson Swap Meet
And motherfuckers better not try to stop me
Cuz they will see that I can't be stopped
Cuz I'ma **** my Glock and pop til they all drop"

... and I need to listen to this new new album, I skimmed it.

That's the Chronic. That was 23 years ago. When did he rap about killing anyone on 2001?

I don't know what Lil Jon has been up to in recent years but every song I've heard of his has the same sound. That isn't the case with Dre.

That's the Chronic. That was 23 years ago. When did he rap about killing anyone on 2001?

I don't know what Lil Jon has been up to in recent years but every song I've heard of his has the same sound. That isn't the case with Dre.

I don't know who he rapped about killing on 2001? Probably a bitch.

The way the whole album flows reminds me a lot of Thirstin Howl III's Skilligan's Island album.

Ok this album has already really grown on me. I can't say it's a classic yet but it's a lot better than I originally gave it credit for. Once you get to Darkside/Gone it really takes off.

First listen had me thinking it was decent.
After some more listens, its a good album.
Animal is the best produced beat in the last 5-7 years. Always wondered how a Premier-Dre collabo would come out and it came out beautifully. Best song on the album.
Some tracks are a little lesser but if it wasnt a Dre album, but someone else's album, people would be raving about it.

Anderson .Paak is a stand out on the album

He's moved through "phases" alright...

dre-1.jpg
i see this posted a lot when people want to bash dre but that only shows how little respect people have for this phase of rap. the techno/hip-hop era was huge. it was so huge some of my first memories of music were in the late 80s when i would hear radio djs(joe cooley was the first guy i remember) cut up to this type of music. just goes to show you how relevant dre has been. literally no one from those days is relevant now.
Ok this album has already really grown on me. I can't say it's a classic yet but it's a lot better than I originally gave it credit for. Once you get to Darkside/Gone it really takes off.

i like all the songs actually. i dont think theres really a bad song there. ice cubes song is a bit awkward though. the last song is very 2001. very reminiscent of the message. might as well be part II

First listen had me thinking it was decent.
After some more listens, its a good album.
Animal is the best produced beat in the last 5-7 years. Always wondered how a Premier-Dre collabo would come out and it came out beautifully. Best song on the album.
Some tracks are a little lesser but if it wasnt a Dre album, but someone else's album, people would be raving about it.

Anderson .Paak is a stand out on the album

Agreed animals is my favorite track, been bumping that forever right now LOL.

Good, not great album.

Idiots letting expectations and thoughts of old west coast gangster albums ruining it for them is hilarious though.

Back