Dr Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack

Dre is a legend, and back in the day he did his thing, but now he reminds me of Shaq: hitches his wagon on to a young up-and-comer and tries to get another ring.

I dont think you understand how hard it is to produce a hit album
Dre is a huge factor in the record sales of these young up and comers

Gotta listen to it when i get home

Meanwhile Deltron Event 2 was released a year or so ago and no one seemed to care yet it was a pretty damn good album. Not as good as the original but still very good. Had the same atmospheric feel the original had.

This Compton album doesn't even sound like Dre had anything to do with it.

del is one of my favorite artists ever, i like every collab/group production hes been a part of, especially hiero

Dre is a legend, and back in the day he did his thing, but now he reminds me of Shaq: hitches his wagon on to a young up-and-comer and tries to get another ring.

he takes young talent, makes beats for them and shows them how to make hits and takes his cut

as a movie analogy, hes more of a producer/director instead of an actor. it doesnt mean he doesnt know movies anymore

I wish he would just take that early 90's sound and do more of it, stop trying to innovate and give us that gangsta shit.

This album is surprisingly really good. You can still hear that Dre influence despite more modern sounding production.

Love the animal track on that album.

Love itunes for giving 3 free months for radio.

I wish he would just take that early 90's sound and do more of it, stop trying to innovate and give us that gangsta shit.

Is that all you've heard from him? He has changed his sound every few years since 1988. He's had multiple sounds since the early 90s.

Is that all you've heard from him? He has changed his sound every few years since 1988. He's had multiple sounds since the early 90s.

I've heard almost everything except the world class wrecking crew early stuff but efil4zaggin, The Chronic and 2001 have a sound that he mastered and could keep building on. I skimmed through the new album and it sounded soft, R&B-ish, I need a full listen to have a proper opinion and I guess people move on and grow up but I haven't lol and I want to hear stories about killing that guy who stole his vcr back in the day... with the hard ass beats. Dre's like the rap game George Lucas.

I don't like it...Dre could have came way better than this.

I wish Dre would go back to that Funky hardcore Gangster shit. Trap music is the last thing I want to hear when I listen to a Dre album. Also... what's up with all the singing?

Where's Ren... where's Kurupt... where's RBX... these are the guys I wanna hear spitting over Dr Dre tracks.

4/10

Damn Dre...
what on earth would make you think he would go back to that sound? he hasnt had that sound since the 90s. you really think dre wants to rap about gangbanging in his 50s? dre has always moved in phases. thats a phase he is done with. why people were expecting 2001, let alone the chronic havent been paying attention.
Dope album. Sounds heavily influenced by Kendrick.
thats the first thing i thought. its like to pimp a butterfly companion. also the production and engineering is ridiculous. dre sounds 25 years old here. i also think the new guys did a good job on the songs.

what on earth would make you think he would go back to that sound? he hasnt had that sound since the 90s. you really think dre wants to rap about gangbanging in his 50s? dre has always moved in phases. thats a phase he is done with. why people were expecting 2001, let alone the chronic havent been paying attention.
He's moved through "phases" alright...

dre-1.jpg

I've heard almost everything except the world class wrecking crew early stuff but efil4zaggin, The Chronic and 2001 have a sound that he mastered and could keep building on. I skimmed through the new album and it sounded soft, R&B-ish, I need a full listen to have a proper opinion and I guess people move on and grow up but I haven't lol and I want to hear stories about killing that guy who stole his vcr back in the day... with the hard ass beats. Dre's like the rap game George Lucas.

What do you mean by build on? 2001 is a completely sound than The Chronic. In fact all his albums are. 2001 is a completely different sound than Aftermath Presents. And Aftermath Presents is a completely different sound than The Chronic. And aside from a couple songs, The Chronic is a different sound than Efil4zaggin. And Efil4zaggin is a different sound than Straight Outta Compton. Which is a different sound than his work on the World Class Wreckin Cru.

I can't imagine how anyone would listen to this album and mistake it for R&B. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Dre didn't rap about killing anyone on 2001.

thats the first thing i thought. its like to pimp a butterfly companion. also the production and engineering is ridiculous. dre sounds 25 years old here. i also think the new guys did a good job on the songs.

Yeah his voice doesn't sound aged at all. My only complaint would be on some songs he's talking in a weird voice like Kendrick does, which I don't think either of them need to be doing.

Back