Dr Disrespect Launches AAA Gaming Studio Midnight Society

Key snippet ^ to save dawgs a click and some red highlights for a nutshell:

Last year, Guy Beahm, the former Sledgehammer Games level designer better known these days as streamer Dr. Disrespect, announced he was founding "a AAA game studio" with former Call of Duty creative strategist Robert Bowling and Halo 5 multiplayer designer Quinn Delhoyo. The studio, called Midnight Society, went on to sell beta access to its upcoming debut game in the form of a $50 Founders Pass, which came with a procedurally generated NFT that serves as your avatar in-game.

Not much was actually known about the game, except that it will be a free-to-play multiplayer FPS made in Unreal Engine 5. Now, a handful of details have been revealed in a blog post(opens in new tab), which says, "Our first game, 'Project Moon' is a vertical extraction shooter". By extraction shooter it means a PvPvE raid game, like Escape from Tarkov or Hunt: Showdown, where players keep the loot from every match they survive, but lose everything they brought with them when they die. By vertical it means, "set in a high-rise".

I haven't like one extraction shooter that I've played so far. Will see if this can change things but I'm just not a fan of the gameplay I've tried in extraction shooters.

I haven't like one extraction shooter that I've played so far. Will see if this can change things but I'm just not a fan of the gameplay I've tried in extraction shooters.
I like Doc. No-one does it like him in what's really daily, real-time acting chops on display; he's also funny and a good player, unlike Tatman Tim and some others. But this (extraction shooter) in package with a science-fiction theme and NFTs has me wondering what this F2P 'Project Moon' is going to play like – and that trash-talking a flagship series in the genre like Modern Warfare might well boomerang back to slap him. Fairer a take, of course, being that this title may not be our cup of turpentine.

I like Doc. No-one does it like him in what's really daily, real-time acting chops on display; he's also funny and a good player, unlike Tatman Tim and some others. But this (extraction shooter) in package with a science-fiction theme and NFTs has me wondering what this F2P 'Project Moon' is going to play like – and that trash-talking a flagship series in the genre like Modern Warfare might well boomerang back to slap him. Fairer a take, of course, being that this title may not be our cup of turpentine.

Agree, but modern warfare and the engine they use is terrible.

What’s an extraction shooter? Is that a new name for the battle Royale genre?

Interesting post from Henderson on MS' upcoming title:

Interesting post from Henderson on MS' upcoming title:

the hyperbole from Doc is to be expected so I take what he says with a huge grain of salt. Graphics this early in game dev means nothing tbh. I will say I like the feel and the setting of the game.

I think Doc is alright, should have called himself Guy Beahm the Beam Guy though, shit joke, please forgive me :). I can't fucking stand Tim the Tatman, he's the epitome of everything I hate about youtubers.

NFT's aside, I wish Doc well taking on the big boys. The way this is all being done is is a first for the industry isn't it? Then I really wish him well. He could end up knackered here if he's not careful though. Bold move.

I think Doc is alright, should have called himself Guy Beahm the Beam Guy though, shit joke, please forgive me :). I can't fucking stand Tim the Tatman, he's the epitome of everything I hate about youtubers.

NFT's aside, I wish Doc well taking on the big boys. The way this is all being done is is a first for the industry isn't it? Then I really wish him well. He could end up knackered here if he's not careful though. Bold move.
You'll love this from today. Tim continues his doormat role courtesy of ZLaner:

Two-Time definitely not walking back the smack. Probably game still from alpha build for a low blow? Anyway, he's going to look hypocritical when playing and streaming this and WZ2 for the next two years because his extraction shooter won't be pulling the same viewership, I imagine:

Classic Doc 0-60, then 180: <Lmaoo>

Former Apex talent joins the Midnight team:

Fucking stud. Cock diesel.

Two-Time's been saying this recently in explaining the extraction experience of MS' forthcoming freshman title. The idea is the stakes are uniquely high when you're trying to extract a high-value blockchain item out of the game's red zone (to take ownership of that item).

This game is going to have rampant cheating and credit card fraud.

Didn't this dude cheat on his wife or something too? This isn't surprising, he seems to lack a moral compass.

Back