Downtime?

bacon

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Do you guys ever take extended periods of time away from the gym? Weeks/Months? I can't remember the last time I didn't workout atleast three times a week. I lift and do cardio religiously. This weekend I played the drums (in a band) for about 10 hours total. My wrists and my back are killing me, so I decided to take a week off. No lifting, no cardio, no instruments. I started the laziness Monday. Anyone ever do this? It feels weird to go home and just vegetate. Can't say I like it much.

I do it kinda frequently. I'd say that for every couple months of regular activity I'll take off 1-2 weeks. I don't do it intentionally and it's not a planned thing. I just get super lazy from time to time and after a week off I usually feel energized and pissed at myself which also energizes me.

Yeah life usually causes me to me miss a week of training here and there. Things like getting sick, work/school schedule etc. it's always something.

I like to take a week completely off about once every six weeks. I just came back from a week off, and hit the weights with a vengeance. Everything felt solid and strong. Trust me, it's the best thing you can do for yourself and your training.

Yeah, most lifters take at least a week off every few months or so. Just make sure you don't slack off on eating, and you'll come back stronger after a good rest. Month after month of heavy squats and deadlifts puts a toll on you, so it's a big relief on my body when I do it.

I believe that rest is one of the most under rated components of an excellent routine. Every couple of months I take a week off from all exercise, even running.

dogmai said:
I believe that rest is one of the most under rated components of an excellent routine. Every couple of months I take a week off from all exercise, even running.

I tried to do that once, I got the shakes :redface:

I try and have a week off anything hard and taxing, just sweat runs 3 times in the week I have off, but its hard not to get carried away.

I haven't had time off, but I took a 2 session break from benching (so since the last time I benched it had been 3 weeks) and went and did some wednesday just gone, my numbers and workload went up.

I did core routine last night (still my "week off"), nothing heavy though....damn...I think I have a problem. Oh well, its better than a crack addiction.

I never take a break from training by choice, but I seem to keep being kept away by injuries, I'm typing this with injuries to both shoulders.

school, work, girlfriends...all these things usually pile up once every now and again and force me to take a week off all physical activity

Back