1. Season 7 of the International Shoop League is now active! Section A » Section B »

Downtime?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by bacon, Nov 10, 2005.

1. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

Do you guys ever take extended periods of time away from the gym? Weeks/Months? I can't remember the last time I didn't workout atleast three times a week. I lift and do cardio religiously. This weekend I played the drums (in a band) for about 10 hours total. My wrists and my back are killing me, so I decided to take a week off. No lifting, no cardio, no instruments. I started the laziness Monday. Anyone ever do this? It feels weird to go home and just vegetate. Can't say I like it much.

2. desertbake

desertbake Orange Belt

I do it kinda frequently. I'd say that for every couple months of regular activity I'll take off 1-2 weeks. I don't do it intentionally and it's not a planned thing. I just get super lazy from time to time and after a week off I usually feel energized and pissed at myself which also energizes me.

3. Espo

Espo Purple Belt

Yeah life usually causes me to me miss a week of training here and there. Things like getting sick, work/school schedule etc. it's always something.

4. Dash_Riprock

Dash_Riprock Yellow Belt

I like to take a week completely off about once every six weeks. I just came back from a week off, and hit the weights with a vengeance. Everything felt solid and strong. Trust me, it's the best thing you can do for yourself and your training.

5. Reidar

Reidar White Belt

Yeah, most lifters take at least a week off every few months or so. Just make sure you don't slack off on eating, and you'll come back stronger after a good rest. Month after month of heavy squats and deadlifts puts a toll on you, so it's a big relief on my body when I do it.

6. dogmai

dogmai Orange Belt

I believe that rest is one of the most under rated components of an excellent routine. Every couple of months I take a week off from all exercise, even running.

7. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

I tried to do that once, I got the shakes :redface:

I try and have a week off anything hard and taxing, just sweat runs 3 times in the week I have off, but its hard not to get carried away.

I haven't had time off, but I took a 2 session break from benching (so since the last time I benched it had been 3 weeks) and went and did some wednesday just gone, my numbers and workload went up.

8. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

I did core routine last night (still my "week off"), nothing heavy though....damn...I think I have a problem. Oh well, its better than a crack addiction.

9. SmashiusClay

SmashiusClay Avatar of Cyttorak

I never take a break from training by choice, but I seem to keep being kept away by injuries, I'm typing this with injuries to both shoulders.

10. colinm

colinm Brown Belt

school, work, girlfriends...all these things usually pile up once every now and again and force me to take a week off all physical activity