• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Doumbe walked out with a bed for his opponent and slept him in 9 seconds

Did the UFC make a mistake by not resigning Doumbé?

• Total voters
Having serviceable takedown defense in the same division as Colby, Usman, Khamzat, Shavkat, as well as countless other wrestlers isn't enough.

Converted kickboxers unfortunately do not work in talent rich divisions like WW.

they don't have the left hook of doumbe. guy has nitroglycerin in those hands

It was a good finish against someone who's not UFC standard. I'm disappointed he signed with PFL (not as annoyed as I was with Abdoul) but it is what it is. PFL will no doubt fuck it up
Doumbe almost made his debut on a the prelims of a 2K arena in Atlanta. I think PFL got bullied into putting him on the Paris card like everyone was telling them to do

if they're not they should be cause they clearly fumbled the bag big time. The return on investment would have been huge on that guy.

A natural showman and trash talker who has dynamite in his hands and backs up his crazy trash talk with insane finishes.

I know you feel clever with your comment but clearly you're not seeing what it's about here
The UFC is doing great without him, they do not need Doumbe but Doumbe does need the UFC if he really wants to become a star. Any fighter outside the UFC has a low ceiling because in the world MMA=UFC. Unless you are successful in the UFC, you will only be a B-league star. It is unfortunate but it is what it is.

There has been plenty of other "stars" before. Queally and Gallagher for Ireland, Paddy, Molly, and MVP for Britain but the schtick fades away unless they beat someone worth a damn.

It was a good finish against someone who's not UFC standard. I'm disappointed he signed with PFL (not as annoyed as I was with Abdoul) but it is what it is. PFL will no doubt fuck it up
The UFC signed Paddy and Garry, who are equally or bigger than Doumbe to 12/12 contracts. They were never going to pay Doumbe or any newcomer to six-figure contract because it sets a bad precedent. To say that the UFC is "humiliated" ia just non-sense.

Dont forget PFL signed Doumbe and Lazy King to big contracts, plus whatever they paid Mbappe to be there. The fight worked in a PR kind of way but IDK how much financial sense it is going to make. In other words, how many new fans did PFL made after yesterday's event? The event was a 5 hour bummer until the co-main and main. People are vested in these 2 good fighters (3 with Dakota) but the rest was just vastly underwhelming. Its just hard to get vested in the PFL.

Having serviceable takedown defense in the same division as Colby, Usman, Khamzat, Shavkat, as well as countless other wrestlers isn't enough.

Converted kickboxers unfortunately do not work in talent rich divisions like WW.

Countless others like who? Gary Neal, Luque, Machado, Leon Edwards (the literal champion and a kickboxer), Kevin Holland, Gilbert Burns, Neil Magny, JDM. The majority of WWs aren't wrestlers at all...you're just stereotyping off of like 3 guys.

Khazmat isn't even a welterweight, we may as well count Michel Pereira as a WW then. Usman and Colby are barely active and are at the end of their careers. Gilbert Burns might even end up fighting more than them.

Muhammad is the only lay and pray guy who is left in the division that isn't ancient.

Does anyone actually know what PFL is paying him? lol

Great debut by the way

such a crappy way to lose for the other guy.

140 k flat, he told it himself.
We dont know if there is additional money if he wins, wins via ko etc...

The UFC signed Paddy and Garry, who are equally or bigger than Doumbe to 12/12 contracts. They were never going to pay Doumbe or any newcomer to six-figure contract because it sets a bad precedent. To say that the UFC is "humiliated" ia just non-sense.

Dont forget PFL signed Doumbe and Lazy King to big contracts, plus whatever they paid Mbappe to be there. The fight worked in a PR kind of way but IDK how much financial sense it is going to make. In other words, how many new fans did PFL made after yesterday's event? The event was a 5 hour bummer until the co-main and main. People are vested in these 2 good fighters (3 with Dakota) but the rest was just vastly underwhelming. Its just hard to get vested in the PFL.

Yeah I kind of want them to be able to get traction but it's difficult when their product is just generally so terrible.

Doumbe has decent defensive wrestling, thats not really the issue.
With him, the issue is defensive sub game and cardio.
Doumbe s cardio has always been sus cause the dude was rebounding like crazy after fights. In his KB days, to him "cutting" was skipping meals...and he did not have a headcoach...which he seems to have in MMA for few months.
If he stays at a decent weigh, stays at the atch academy close to Paris, keeps the focus and is injury free, he will have a great 3/4 years run even at 31... but thats a lot of "ifs" though.

Yeah I kind of want them to be able to get traction but it's difficult when their product is just generally so terrible.
My hope is that PFL actually forms a regular schedule and has a normal title and matchmaking on top of the 1 mill tournaments. Also allow elbows for these non-tournament fights.

But my fear is that PFL is stuck to this gimmic so they will take whatever Bellator guys they want or who they can convince, and continue with the non-elbow events.

Maybe have the tournament winner get the next title shot, have just a three bout season with a normal bracket. No one gives a fuck about the "regular season" anyway since it's all matchmaking for the purpose of getting their guys into the playoffs and 3 bouts in a year is much more manageable then 5

Maybe have the regional winners (PFL Europe, Africa, MENA, South America) get automatic entry into the 8 man tournament.

Bjorn already did all of this back in the day and PFL is just copying him, so I hope they actually see what he had to do in the later stages.

Maybe it's ego, but I feel that we on the Worldwide forum could run a MMA promotion better with better decisions.

You're living in a parallel world my friend, Cedric is arguably a top 10 all time p4p in kickboxing, where he already made 300,400 in a night (if not more).

Thats the mistake the UFC has done, thinking garry or paddy are bigger than doumbe.
The other one is to think than the psg players (there were 5 of them if you include kurzawa) were there for money whereas they were like other parisian dudes, intrigued with doumbe.
The UFC offered 50 /50 to pereira, they could have done the same for cedric.
That being said, at the end of the day, we will measure the degree of the mistake if doumbe beats better and more experienced competition in the future.

You're living in a parallel world my friend, Cedric is arguably a top 10 all time p4p in kickboxing, where he already made 300,400 in a night (if not more).

He said the UFC would never have paid him that. Which they didn't, which is why he's in PFL

Thats the mistake the UFC has done, thinking garry or paddy are bigger than doumbe.
The other one is to think than the psg players (there were 5 of them if you include kurzawa) were there for money whereas they were like other parisian dudes, intrigued with doumbe.
The UFC offered 50 /50 to pereira, they could have done the same for cedric.
That being said, at the end of the day, we will measure the degree of the mistake if doumbe beats better and more experienced competition in the future.
PFL has a history of routinely bringing on random athletes and celebrities to their events so even if they were there by their own means, everyone is gonna assume the first scenario

Back