Don't say Okami would've never gotten another title fight

Ferlyn

White Belt
Reaction score
That's not a good justification for him getting cut, it's speculation.

Crazier things have happened. Hunt lost 3 in a row, including a loss to McCorkle and 2 years later, he was fighting JDS for #1 contender.

Mir had a bad losing streak and won the HW title.

There are probably other examples.

I don't accept the gatekeeper excuse.

Being a gatekeeper is fine... being a boring gatekeeper is not.

Is Belcher still in the UFC ??? If so that ain't fair

If we are cutting guys based on- they will never win the belt, we'd be cutting 90 percent of the roster.

The message has been sent a long time ago- the only way to consistently ensure that you are going to have a job with the UFC is to win every fight. Whether you're boring as fuck or the most entertaining guy on the roster, wins are what will keep you in the company.

Barring that, being entertaining seems to bear more weight in Dana's mind. Hardy and Pat Barry are not only guys who had fan accessible styles but they're the type of people who are easy to hype and who go to these expos and do a lot of publicity work- that's why they can lose multiple times in a row and still be given multiple shots.

It's about business and who Dana and co like more than it's about the caliber of the fighter.

The reason that Okami is cut is because he will wreck almost every exciting upcoming MW without any upside in his win for the UFC.

People were saying he would never get another title fight after his original UFC title fight yet before he fought Jacare he was one win away from being the contender behind Belfort, and that's only because the division got log jammed by the Silva rematch.

I guess Dana is sending out a message to the boring wrestlers but still i feel sorry for Okami.

Yea I mean the real shitty thing is that Okami was on a three fight win streak and just lost to like a top 5 talent. It's virtually inexcusable to cut him at this point in time. But again- they're looking for bang for their buck- they figure okamis not a draw and yet he will beat most guys they match him up with- so he provides more of a hindrance than an asset in their mind.

But from a sport perspective and what Okami brings and how the UFC should assess talent, it's wrong on every level.

cutting Okami just shows its not a legitimate sport like Dana tries to tell us, it's sports entertainment. this is the reality of the situation.

Okami is not a gatekeeper. He was one win away from another title shot.

Yep, and if he won he would still be around... but he lost and falls down the rungs a bit.

Dana doesn't want boring champions... people seem to forget that an undefeated Machida was getting passed over for a title shot he probably deserved because fans hated his style. It wasn't until he started KO'ing people that his stock rose (with fans and the UFC) and he finally got his shot.

I hate the "boring" argument. As a legitimate sport, it doesn't matter if something is boring or not. If he's winning or still has potential, he belongs in there.

If boring is the reason he was cut, then that migrates mma towards entertainment and away from legitimate sport.

cutting Okami just shows its not a legitimate sport like Dana tries to tell us, it's sports entertainment. this is the reality of the situation.

ALL sports are entertainment... the difference is: in other sports you can't win without being entertaining.

This shit happens in every sport, cut it out.

?! care to name some examples of a top athlete being kicked from a league when he has still been winning recently, showed no behavioral problems, and was not one of the top paid athletes in the sport.

ALL sports are entertainment... the difference is: in other sports you can't win without being entertaining.

not true, there are teams in a lot of different sports that are considered boring because they play a certain way (playing more defensive/scoring less)

Relax TS. It has Nothing to do with wins or losses. Danas greatest fear is having a champ like Askren. Okami is good enough to be champ when Silva retires. The same with Fitch...

Okami was one of the best Japanese fighters (possibly the best, depending on what Takeya Mizugaki can do with his next few fights) but he was never the most exciting fighter to watch.

He's strong, and he's technical, but that's about it. All a fighter had to do to beat him was to keep pushing forward and attacking, as Jacare did.

When you're making more money than a lot of the fighters below you and you're not winning and not being exciting, you will probably get cut. That's why Jon Fitch was cut and that's why Yushin Okami was cut, despite both of them being top 10 fighters at the time of the cut.

?! care to name some examples of a top athlete being kicked from a league when he has still been winning recently, showed no behavioral problems, and was not one of the top paid athletes in the sport.
That's not what I meant and you're getting overly specific if you want real examples.

What I meant is that if you think every single talented athlete gets a fair chance to show his greatness you're sorely mistaken. There's politics in every sport that keeps guys down.

MMA is a legitimate sport and has been for quite some time. It's not a debate. It's over. Every time someone brings this up you just signal your retardation to the world.

Back