Don't Hate the Player, Hate the Game.

Not to say the other guy was right for playing the game he did but do you realize if you could have taken him down even ONE time early on or in the middle of the match you would have subbed him?

Just another part of your grappling game to work on.
It is a point player but legit. you are learning a martial art these toruneys I think give you a couple lessons. A) how well you are progressing in your art b) what you have to work on concerning YOUR game and C) what you have to work on considering other ppl's game.

I was the exact opposite. I was never a good finisher from the top position (wrestling) so the majority of my wins came by tech fall. I'd take them down and let them up, repeat...... Its probably the same for guys who just sit on top. They're not confidant in their takedowns, so they don't let their opponent up because they might not get the dominant position back.

You can't fault a guy for playing his strengths. I had a lot of guys get pissed at me because its embarrassing to get taken down 15+ times in one match, but hey, if the other guy had a better take down defense, that wouldn't have happened.

bacon said:
I was the exact opposite. I was never a good finisher from the top position (wrestling) so the majority of my wins came by tech fall. I'd take them down and let them up, repeat...... Its probably the same for guys who just sit on top. They're not confidant in their takedowns, so they don't let their opponent up because they might not get the dominant position back.

You can't fault a guy for playing his strengths. I had a lot of guys get pissed at me because its embarrassing to get taken down 15+ times in one match, but hey, if the other guy had a better take down defense, that wouldn't have happened.

lol 15+ times? Jesus.

2 points takedown for me, 1 point escape them. I could usually get a few back points, but if the guy was stronger, and they usually were, I wouldn't spend too much time on the ground. Speed kills, and I got/had it. If you're gonna go that route, your stamina better be nothing short of phenomenal though.

I you are just taking your opponent down, how can you finish or submit them?

Why wouldn't you use your superior take down skills to get on top, and finish?

He may not have the skills to 'finish' yet. play it safe.

The whole point is to finish your opponent.

Taking them down, then letting them back up, and doing it again and again, is a form of stalling.

They're not confidant in their takedowns, so they don't let their opponent up because they might not get the dominant position back.
No one gets top position and WANTS to let there opponent back up. Top position is a dominant position, and there are many ways to FINISH your opponent from here.

Even if you have incredible takedown skills, when you take your opponent down, and get on top, why would you stand back up?

he's talking about wrestling guys and while in wrestling the goal IS to finally pin your opponent it is well within the rules to take em down and let em up and NOT considered stalling.
If the other guy didnt want to be taken down then it was up to them to stop bacon.

triso said:
No one gets top position and WANTS to let there opponent back up. Top position is a dominant position, and there are many ways to FINISH your opponent from here.

Even if you have incredible takedown skills, when you take your opponent down, and get on top, why would you stand back up?

I'm a wrestler.....pretty sure I stated that in my first post. I did this whole wrestling/submission grappling tangent thing about how guys tend to play their strengths rather than their weaknesses. Sorry if I confused you...

If you think taking someone down against their will 15 or more times in 6 minutes is stalling...you're an idiot.

If you think taking someone down against their will 15 or more times in 6 minutes is stalling...you're an idiot.

I agree, even in sub grappling if you are getting taken down(with NO answer) 2.5 times per minute times the number of minutes in a match you are gtting tooled.

First dual meet my junior year I took a guy down 6 times in the first period and he punched me right in the nose. Needless to say, I won the match and learned to keep my guard up when only using takedowns. You'd be surprised how pissed people get. It takes them right out of their game plan. It works both ways though. Every now and then you run into guys just like you and they stuff you all day. That'll break your spirit quick. Example Sherk vs GSP

triso said:
The whole point is to finish your opponent.

Taking them down, then letting them back up, and doing it again and again, is a form of stalling.

There's no rule stating that you have to try and sub your opponent, is there?

The whole point is to win. Anyone who thinks otherwise is playing by make-believe rules.

LOL Bacon thats why I like double underhooks.
Slick shooters tend to work on shots 90% of the time so when you can get them into the "slow the pace down" and pummel game things can work in your favor.

But it IS nice to be able to have the speed and explosion to execute a nice sinlge or double. I usually just dive for the ankles..lol..
Oh and concerning your takedown game..well you cannot make it work if you didnt have a good escape game too!

bacon said:
First dual meet my junior year I took a guy down 6 times in the first period and he punched me right in the nose. Needless to say, I won the match and learned to keep my guard up when only using takedowns. You'd be surprised how pissed people get. It takes them right out of their game plan. It works both ways though. Every now and then you run into guys just like you and they stuff you all day. That'll break your spirit quick. Example Sherk vs GSP
Is this for subgrappling? if so, you bet they're pissed, because you're not playing by their rules :D If they wanted to sub you real bad, they'd make you stay on the ground.

Kawlinz said:
Is this for subgrappling? if so, you bet they're pissed, because you're not playing by their rules :D If they wanted to sub you real bad, they'd make you stay on the ground.

No, i was talking about wrestling.

Knox, I used mostly singles, firemans carry, duck unders and arm drags. I know the kind of shot you're talking about. That superman low leg single is a classic, especially when a hwy does it. :D

BTW, sorry bOb didn't mean to hijack the thread.

b0b said:
Sorry to use that old 90's ghetto slang, but I would like to start a discussion on the rules of BJJ tournaments. Let me prefece this by saying that everyone loves to see submissions and NO ONE likes to see someone lay on top of someone else for 5 minutes.

Now, since the rules of BJJ basically encourages you to get dominate position and hold it, do you get pissed at people who get up on points and lay in dominate position?

For example:

Someone passes guard, gets mount. They are now up by a significant amount of points. Would you be pissed if this guy went to a Kesa or sidemount and pinned the other guy until the match is over?

I see both sides of the spectrum. If I am the guy on top, I am playing the game. I am up on points, and have NO reason to risk losing by going for a sub or trying something fancy. I also don't like to see boring matches.

Wrong. And this has been done to death.

You are awarded points for superior positioning. Often among competitors of equal ability there is no submission in the time alloted. Therefore the winner is determined on superior position.

This is based off the premise that 'in a real fight' the guy with the superior position can inflict more damage than the other guy. This is somewhat true. If you can pass a guys guard you can knee and elbow him into oblivion. If you can mount him you can pound him into the pavement. But this is BJJ so we don't.

The next obvious remark is that grappling matches shouldn't have time limits and should go to submission each time. Been there and done that. It is a battle of attrition at that point. 30 minute matches pass any kind of 'reality' check you were going for. Nobody is going to let you fight for 30 minutes. And in competition there are simply too many people to have a lot of these 30 minute matches. Take for example, GQ last week. 1000+ competitors? Yeah right - tryin running that event with no time limits. It would be a week long event. Unrealistic to expect.

Now as to your assuption that BJJ players are just going for points is wrong. You are VERY new to this sport, and to grappling in general. It wasn't long ago Bob that you were askin HOW DO ARMBAR? kinds of questions. Everyone would like to have the submission. EVERYONE. But I am not going to be an idiot in the last 30 seconds of the 4-2 match where I am winning to jump off a mount and go for a triangle, only to watch you pass my guard to win 5-4 in the last seconds. That would be stupid. It is a competition and I am there to advance to the finals.

Take a look at top guys in the sport today. They are finishers. Jacare. Roger. Marcello. Saulo. They all want the tap. But when it isn't possible we have to determine who the winner of the match is. So we go off points.

Now I am not a top level player. I go for the finish when its availible. But I certainly am not going to use more energy than I need to go chain submissions in my first round when I know I have 3 more guys to fight. I'd rather chill in side control and wait a minute. My opponent is losing. HE needs to make something happen. Not me. We go back to that whole 'reality' thing. I could bust his fucking skull. It might be cheesey to stall. But its even cheesier to just sit there like a sack of shit on the bottom getting fucking owned hoping the top guy is forced to movement from the referee who wants to see some action. Nah. Fuck that. Give me a warning if you want. But it takes 2 to tango. If the bottom guy is just gonna curl up and go defense it is going to take too much effort to break through his defenses. I'll ride him til he opens up. Otherwise I'll just advance to the next round and try again. He can go home and cry on a message board about the other guy 'stalling' him; when the reality of the situation is he was being owned, and was unable to do anything other than grab his collars and assume a fetal position.

Keep in mind. It is a sport. A competition. We have rules. And although nobody likes to see someone stalling out to a victory it is a viable strategy. A strategy I have used, and had used against me. Learn to deal with it. Like I said, if you are down on points and the guy is laying on you FUCKING MOVE! Don't curl up like a bitch and cry about how you were stalled out. #1 you shouldn't have lost the points to begin with. #2 if you do lose the points its up to you to get them back. #3 the top guy is conserving energy for his next fight. #4 Although submission ends the fights quicker, it is also riskier. BJJ is chess, it ain't checkers. Learn strategy and use it. When you expose yourself to unneccessary risks you have a higher chance of being countered.

All that being said I still laugh at the asshole who was beating me 10-4 a couple of years ago and went for an armbar while whooping to his team on the sideline. I blocked it and passed. Then mounted for an 11-10 victory in the last minute. Where I whooped to my team but DIDN'T go for the armbar. And won the tournament.

I agree, essentially. But, see, the problem is you shot down every possible alternative and you didn't offer one of your own.

There will never be a no time-limit tournament, unless they have a pre-set amount of competitors (like, 8 per division) and a mat area for each division. Which is possible, so lets not shoot it down immediately. The 1,000 man competition and figure you pointed out isn't completely true, because there'd be more than one ring. But I understand your point.

As far as point fighting goes, it's a perfectly valid way to win, so I have no problem with it. Yes, it's annoying, but it works. Ideally, if you're that much better than they are, you should be able to submit them anyways. and being taken down at will is bad on your part. Letting them stand back up at will is even worse.

Back