Don't discount BJ's lightweight dominance. No one is going to surpass it anytime soon

The problem is, Penn was fighting a lot at WW... He's an overall MUCH better fighter than Bendo or Edgar, but a much better lightweight? That's difficult.

Aldo is big @ 145 . He will be a bigger 155er then Frankie, who was big enough to beat the almighty 155 Penn.

Every fighter runs into someone who is their number, BJ was no different. At least when BJ defended his title he was smashing people. Frankie, while an amazing fighter took a lot of damage in all of his defenses and were controversy ridden.

The one thing BJ has on Bendo is that BJ really did damage to his opponents at LW before Frankie. I haven't seen Bendo have a fight remotely comparable to the beating BJ laid on Sanchez.

Every fighter runs into someone who is their number, BJ was no different. At least when BJ defended his title he was smashing people. Frankie, while an amazing fighter took a lot of damage in all of his defenses and were controversy ridden.

Ah! another BJ nuthugger! How nice!

It seems BJ really was sick prior to his fight with Frankie.

BJ Penn, Looking Mean and Lean

I remember you! you are so happy that Bendo beats Edgar, so he cannot
establish legacy in LW. Sad for you, now Bendo is establishing his own legacy.

The one thing BJ has on Bendo is that BJ really did damage to his opponents at LW before Frankie. I haven't seen Bendo have a fight remotely comparable to the beating BJ laid on Sanchez.

You mean Sanchez and Stevenson. Bendo didn't utterly dominate Nate Diaz? "Damage" is not a scoring criteria btw.

Seriously, I like BJ, I even root for him against Rory, but all you BJ nuthuggers
have to stop. Go back to bjpenn.com if you want to.
Watch his old highlight if you want, but we are already in the new era,
and it is not going to take long before anyone surpasses BJ's legacy.

Personally I still think LW has yet to see a fighter on the level of a GSP/Anderson/Fedor/Nog etc, Penn had the potential to be that fighter but IMHO his tactics became too narrow which Edgar clearly exploited.

You and PB had some great battles...I think Penn was great....but Bendo would destroy him...

Well, yeah, we had that whole GSP/BJ thing going on, but as I said then, I've always been a BJ fan.

I just think his bouncing around from weight to weight has left him with a spotty legacy, and it will definitely be surpassed at LW.

Its funny how much people talk shit about GSP not finishing fights lately, bendo has 6 STRAIGHT DECISIONS!

you can't possible consider him being most dominate lw until he starts finishing guys regularly

BJ has a solid legacy.No one will surpass his legacy, because its his legacy. Bendo will have his own legacy, just like every other great fighter does. Newer fans cant appreciate BJs legacy, because they weren't there. Older MMA fans are similar to any other sports fan. We have our teams, and follow them whether they win or lose. Newer MMA fans seem to be more on the fringe, awaiting to see what fighter is going to pull out on top. They love champions. Good to see the BJ hate is still strong on sherdog. Its been a while since I was here due to the constant disrespect some fighters get by kids sitting at computers, who have never been disciplined in any form of combat/martial arts. Hate on folks. On a side note, I like the way Bendo is running things now.

Its funny how much people talk shit about GSP not finishing fights lately, bendo has 6 STRAIGHT DECISIONS!

you can't possible consider him being most dominate lw until he starts finishing guys regularly

People worry too much about decisions.

Winning more fights is better for your career than more finishes if you lose more often.

Successfully defending your title by decision is the same as by finish; you stay champion and continue making the good money.

I dont know bro, Benson looks pretty unstoppable. Pettis is probably the biggest threat but I think Benson still has the wrestling advantage and will "Guida" him this time around. Benson gets no love because he's been winning by UD, but he looks to be a step above all the other LWs to me.

BJ was a beast, but I truly believe the level of the LW division is better than it was even just 3 or 4 years ago.

Pretty sure Bendo would abuse any Penn you put in front of him.

IMO that is just plain crazy talk...the ONLY thing bj ever lacked was cardio and size and at some times athleticism...but when he trained with marv he was highly athletic and highly skilled....
he ONLY lost to frankie at lightweight and didnt get beatdown but just outpointed and because he has lost to top WWs ( never finished and highly competitive until gassing) he is now not as good as ben or some of the other LWs now adays? i respect your opinion but IMO thats just crazy talk

IMO that is just plain crazy talk...the ONLY thing bj ever lacked was cardio and size and at some times athleticism...but when he trained with marv he was highly athletic and highly skilled....
he ONLY lost to frankie at lightweight and didnt get beatdown but just outpointed and because he has lost to top WWs ( never finished and highly competitive until gassing) he is now not as good as ben or some of the other LWs now adays? i respect your opinion but IMO thats just crazy talk

Pulver beat him too. Also lacking cardio is kind of a big deal.

Bj record at LW is so thin that any champ who strings together 3 defense ties him.

Edgar has 3 defenses. He also has better top wins then BJ. He also has more LW wins then BJ.

It will not take long for Bj's LW record to get crushed. Many of you mistake flash and excitement for a deep record that is hard to beat.

Personally I think Edgar already surpassed him at LW and the only counter I ever really hear from Penn is that he was more exciting as if that matters.

Ah! another BJ nuthugger! How nice!

It seems BJ really was sick prior to his fight with Frankie.

BJ Penn, Looking Mean and Lean

I remember you! you are so happy that Bendo beats Edgar, so he cannot
establish legacy in LW. Sad for you, now Bendo is establishing his own legacy.

Yea what of it? He probably was sick, either way more people than not thought he won their first fight, def got beat the second time.
What of it? Because I'm a fan of Penn? As for Bendo, im a huge fan of him as well. Do me a favor douchebag, and look for my posts concerning him.

People worry too much about decisions.

Winning more fights is better for your career than more finishes if you lose more often.

Successfully defending your title by decision is the same as by finish; you stay champion and continue making the good money.[/QUOTE

aldo, bones, silva, dos santos ALL Finish opponents all the time gtfo

Henderson's resume is very overlooked.

Wins over Cerronex2, Varner, Njokouani, Roller, Edgarx2, Guida, Diaz, Miller, Bocek.

6-0 in the UFC.
Foty winner against Cerrone.
Foty candidate in razor thin loss to Pettis.
2 UFC title defenses and 11-1 under Zuffa banner.

Aldo is big @ 145 . He will be a bigger 155er then Frankie, who was big enough to beat the almighty 155 Penn.

Frankie is very under-rated. Just because he was able to beat 155ers as an undersized guy doesn't mean Aldo will.
Aldo doesn't have the movement, cardio, or wrestling that Frankie has.

Back