Don't discount BJ's lightweight dominance. No one is going to surpass it anytime soon

Po

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
There is a lot of smack talk on sherdog discounting BJ's lightweight dominance.
The fact remains he dismantled Sherk in his prime, Florian in his prime, an up and coming Gomi, Stevenson (when he was ranked top 5), etc.

It seems it would have been better if BJ beat a bunch of young prospects instead of top guys in their prime because those young prospects might now be molding into top guys today and still be talked about (whereas the prime top guys BJ beat are long past their prime... and long forgotten on sherdog). But that is a discussion for some other time.

Anyway, my question for people is who do you really think can surpass or has already surpassed BJ's reign as the lightweight king?

Edgar had a tie and then a ko win over Maynard after taking a massive beating. He also beat a rusty, past his prime Sherk.

Benson has some high quality wins... a great win over Miller and a couple of close wins over Edgar (no easy feat). However, he lost to Pettis and has yet to finish a fight in the UFC.

Obviously part of evaluating a fighter's dominance is how head and shoulders they are above the competition. With that, I don't think anyone comes close to BJ in his heyday in the LW division (sans Frankie Edgar fight).

The other part is in evaluating how the level of competition has risen. This is a never-ending process, however, and I don't think its fair to compare between different eras. 5 years from now, we might be saying Benson and Frankie had it easy.

On a related note is how a top fighter evolves and performs later in his career. GSP, Anderson, and Lyoto are examples of a fighters who have evolved to remain on top, while Gomi and BJ unfortunately are the opposite. This shouldn't impact the evaluation of their reigns as top fighters during their brief primes, however.

There is also BJ's lackluster return to WW, which may have clouded his superb LW career in some eyes.

BJ should have stayed there. And yeah, what a novel concept.. people are still his fans, even though he loses. You guys should just bandwagon on to the next winner like the rest of Sherdog.

Benson Henderson.

Okay, he didn't finish Bocek. I'll give you that one for the sake of argument.

Edgar x2, Jim Miller, Guida, Nate Diaz? Do the words "solid" and "chin" register? They're not easy guys to KO, not easy guys to submit either. Penn lost three times within a time period that could be considered his prime, should I dismiss his legacy?

Guys are evolving, Benson has beaten great competition already.

Just a matter of smashing Edgar then moving up and taking his LW title.

Jose-Aldo.jpg

If henderson defends the belt like 3 more times id say he already passes bj. He will have 4 title defenses in a row, and more wins at lw and overall a way better record. Wins over guys like edgar, diaz, guida, and more to come. He can surpass him. But i still like bj and always will hes awesome.

I doubt LW will have a champion as intimidating as Penn any time soon, but as for dominance, the only way to measure that is title defenses. This is the literal measure of dominance; anything else is wishful thinking.

BJ had three, Bendo has two.

Bendo could be considered a more dominant lightweight within the year.

Have they announced BJ's next opponent so his fans can start bashing that fighter too?

th

Is well on his way.

Just a matter of smashing Edgar then moving up and taking his LW title.

Jose-Aldo.jpg

Not going to happen. He has looked less and less dominant as his competition has increased.
The competition at 155 is much tougher and the fighters are bigger and stronger.

I doubt LW will have a champion as intimidating as Penn any time soon, but as for dominance, the only way to measure that is title defenses. This is the literal measure of dominance; anything else is wishful thinking.

BJ had three, Bendo has two.

Bendo could be considered a more dominant lightweight within the year.

you are a shell of your former self...

There is a lot of smack talk on sherdog discounting BJ's lightweight dominance.
The fact remains he dismantled Sherk in his prime, Florian in his prime, an up and coming Gomi, Stevenson (when he was ranked top 5), etc.

Sherk was not in his prime at age 35 after his surgery and drug suspension.

Not going to happen. He has looked less and less dominant as his competition has increased.
The competition at 155 is much tougher and the fighters are bigger and stronger.

Aldo is big @ 145 . He will be a bigger 155er then Frankie, who was big enough to beat the almighty 155 Penn.

Last edited:
Sherk was in his prime 10 years ago bud and the rest of those guys aren't in the same class as Bendo, Edger, Maynard or even pettis... Come on man!! Your so called "motivated" bj couldn't hang with these guys his only like 33 and most of these other guys have way more fights then he has have. Give up you bj hard on

BJ was a beast, but I truly believe the level of the LW division is better than it was even just 3 or 4 years ago.

Pretty sure Bendo would abuse any Penn you put in front of him.

BJ should have stayed there. And yeah, what a novel concept.. people are still his fans, even though he loses. You guys should just bandwagon on to the next winner like the rest of Sherdog.

Yep, it's the current breed of "fans". Regardless, BJ not only beat the top comp in his division he did it in stunning fashion. Bendo, IMO will be champion in the LW div for a very long time, it's MMA and anything can happen of course but Bendo looks dominant right now.

Back