Dong Hyun Kim participating in ADCC South Korea

Gio

Wendy Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
dong_hyun_kim_1_gallery_post.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Dong Hyun Kim has revealed he will be participating in the upcoming ADCC Korea Championship on January 26.

The Finalists from this event will compete in the ADCC Asia Championship on May for a chance to compete in the ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship. Dong Hyun Kim will be competing in the -88kg weight class. His first opponent will be fellow South Korean MMA fighter, Jung Hwan Cha. If Kim wins he will face the first bracket winner Suh Hyung Jun.

Registration forms to compete must be handed in by January 17. Signup fees will be 5000 won.

REFERENCE- http://cormma.com/dong-hyun-kim-participating-in-adcc/

*All credits to my brother Hufusopem for the research as always

DHK's grappling is awesome. Offensive and technical. Hope he does well.

i hope the dong does not get injured in that tourney because i really want to see siyar getting smashed on the ground.

i hope the dong does not get injured in that tourney because i really want to see siyar getting smashed on the ground.

Don't worry, it's very very likely and about to happen

cooollll giovanni002

i thought the UFC had policies against fighters doing ADCC. but i guess im wrong.

Doubt very much he'll get injured

If he qualifies and has to face Palhares, he might :p

In all seriousness, best of luck to Kim. Always looking forward to his fights (yes, I do enjoy his style).

I thought UFC fighters were prohibited from participating in anything not UFC-related?

cooollll giovanni002

i thought the UFC had policies against fighters doing ADCC. but i guess im wrong.

Yah, I think Maia once won a ADCC tourney way back. Also on same weight that DHK will be competing, not sure if he was already in the ufc roster though

Yah, I think Maia once won a ADCC tourney way back. Also on same weight that DHK will be competing, not sure if he was already in the ufc roster though

Maia won it before he was in the UFC. Toquinho took 2nd while he was in the UFC. Also this isn't ADCC, it's ADCC Korea. It's a qualifying tournament, to get into ADCC Asia, which is itself another qualifying tournament, to get into the big ADCC which everyone cares about.

I expect DHK to win this. He has a great Judo base, has trained with high level BJJ guys, and is a great athlete. I don't know that he'll sub that many guys, but I expect he'll do well. Especially considering that Korea isn't exactly a hot spot for no gi grappling studs. It's not like he's gonna run up against Andre Galvao in this one.

Maia won it before he was in the UFC. Toquinho took 2nd while he was in the UFC. Also this isn't ADCC, it's ADCC Korea. It's a qualifying tournament, to get into ADCC Asia, which is itself another qualifying tournament, to get into the big ADCC which everyone cares about.

I expect DHK to win this. He has a great Judo base, has trained with high level BJJ guys, and is a great athlete. I don't know that he'll sub that many guys, but I expect he'll do well. Especially considering that Korea isn't exactly a hot spot for no gi grappling studs. It's not like he's gonna run up against Andre Galvao in this one.

Kim is the favorite but hes not a shoe in by any means

there a lot of really high level grapplers in South Korea.
The BJJ scene has evolved tremendously not to mention crossover athletes, elite Judokas and wrestlers, and mma fighters.

you make it seem like hes competing in ADCC Venezuela. Other than Japan , Korea is probably the toughest bracket in Asia by far.

Kim is the favorite but hes not a shoe in by any means

there a lot of really high level grapplers in South Korea.
The BJJ scene has evolved tremendously not to mention crossover athletes, elite Judokas and wrestlers, and mma fighters.

you make it seem like hes competing in ADCC Venezuela. Other than Japan , Korea is probably the toughest bracket in Asia by far.

Okay, it's the second toughest bracket in Asia, which is what, the fourth toughest qualifier? Behind Brazil, North America, and Europe? I'm not saying he'll be grappling against chumps, but it's not like he's going against the absolute best in the world either. I follow BJJ and submission grappling fairly actively, at least at the highest levels, but I probably won't have heard of any of his opponents because they haven't done anything at the world stage.

Back