Does weight "outweigh" technique BJJ?

To beat strength with technique your technique advantage needs to be bigger than your opponent's strength advantage.

To beat technique with strength your strength advantage needs to be bigger than your opponent's technique advantage.

It's no more complicated than that.
Spot on!

And if you have a strength AND technique advantage, then they're really fucked.

A weight disadvantage will reveal your technique flaws real quick!

I learned my half guard sucks against people weighing 240...

People often misinterpret the feeling of getting dominated, the feeling of being put in a vice where motion is impossible, as being out weighed or out muscled, and it is agreeable to their ego to misinterpret it so. They can accept physical weakness much more easily than they can accept their opponent being more clever or more skilled at bringing the presh, even though both are contemptible.

People often misinterpret the feeling of getting dominated, the feeling of being put in a vice where motion is impossible, as being out weighed or out muscled, and it is agreeable to their ego to misinterpret it so. They can accept physical weakness much more easily than they can accept their opponent being more clever or more skilled at bringing the presh, even though both are contemptible.

I came back to mention that I was probably wrong in assuming your friend sucks, I have no way of knowing how hard he went or how skilled he is.

The thing is, a black belt that weighs 160 will feel a lot heavier than 160.

Being able to project your weight is absolutely a skill that is learned

Good point.

Size and power will always have a impact. That being said training will make you better developed to deal with it. Just look for a quality school and start putting in mat time.
A school that has a range of skills is the best place to develop. It helps to have guys who are not to your level so you have training partners you can practice new things on. Guys at your level so you get a feel for the rhythm of the match and a measuring stick. A few people who you just cant get they out work you, out technique you, or even beat you with their weight. Bjj is about problem solving. You will develop different styles and different game plans depending on if the guy is aggressive, defensive, strong, fat, tall.. etc.

This whole thread I find weird.

It's not odd to beat white belts when you haven't trained if you're an avid fan of mma and are knowledgeable about submissions and have watched people defend and escape. You know, the usual Roganisms like answer the phone, 2 on 1 defense and so on. Good stuff to remember and lots of newbies don't know even that.

But anyone higher than a white belt should be crushing you.

I find fat guys of the same skill are actually a lot easier to deal with than guys smaller than me of equal skill. The fat guys tend to use their belly as an offensive weapon and if you can avoid it,which is usually pretty easy because they are slow, you can get their back or get on top and they are lost. Now if they are bigger by virtue of just being stronger and the same skill as me I'm usually fucked.

People want seem to want some larpy fantasy where magic skills > physics.

Say a black belt rolls with 2 equally skilled athletic guys, ones 150lb the others 250lb. He'll beat them both but have to work an aweful lot harder with one then the other.....

This sounds like garage training to me...

You made the right choice by not training at that gym.
You arecdefinetely going to get better just by watching mma. You just need to show up and put the tv on. Consistency is key.

Wrestling hips are for real...I catch guys napping on it with a "higher rank" and larger than me all the time.

Also, go look at the Vegas Open Absolute final...tell me weight trumps technique. While this was a boring ass fight, Miyao was able to keep Farias from passing his guard for 10 minutes. If it were a weight lifting competition, I don't think there's a question of who would win.

A cheeseburger eating champion was able to prevent a guy who was second in the world at jiu jitsu from scoring a point. Being a fatass seems pretty effective.

To beat strength with technique your technique advantage needs to be bigger than your opponent's strength advantage.

To beat technique with strength your strength advantage needs to be bigger than your opponent's technique advantage.

It's no more complicated than that.

This. Sound advice and very articulate. Cheers.

Yes, It is about 6.5 kg over that weight defeat techniques.

What?
6kg is very little once you reach middle heavy.
Felipe Pena WON the world championships up a weight class

That is how the weight categories are made by the IBJJF.

apparently, over 6.5 kg is too much and you need a different weight category.

also it is interesting to see that in Judo, you are not allowed to compete in a heavier category (at least the local comps in AKL).

So... you're a nothing belt in BJJ, you weigh 160, you've never trained mma....

Then you walk into a bjj gym and you were "better than alot of them"? A lot meaning other new white belts? If anything other than white belts, then what belts?

This stinks like a troll, or that's a shit gym.

So... you're a nothing belt in BJJ, you weigh 160, you've never trained mma....

Then you walk into a bjj gym and you were "better than alot of them"? A lot meaning other new white belts? If anything other than white belts, then what belts?

This stinks like a troll, or that's a shit gym.

The gym sucked which is why I don't go there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ufc925
Back