Does Volkanovski have the Best 5 Wins in a row ever?

Nah not really. Volk has close to year gaps in between some of them. Fight schedule matters too. Mcgregor averaged 2 fights a year to a title with Aldo. I think from Aldo to Alvarez; he fought 4 times total within 12 months.

He beat Holloway... twice over... turn off the biased commentary and watch again.
Commentary doesn't sway me.
I watched the fight (2nd one) and thought at the time myself... that was a fairly dominant win by Holloway and was surprised with the decision. But I'll watch it again to see anyway.

1 fight he arguably lost, another holding a washed up Aldo against the fence, another washed up Mendes.

Appearances can be deceiving.

That's not really a fair comparison.

Again, 2 GOAT candidates, 1 of them in their prime and the other not far removed from it.
0 goat candidates in the Usman run.

At the time Woodley was being highly praised as a GOAT WW like he was catching up to GSP. Max was basically a runner up division GOAT like Woodley at the time. Aldo is a P4P GOAT though and Usman never faced one (that’s GSP only).

It’s a great streak but not close to being the best. Jones for example has a far more impressive streak.

Shogun
Rampage
Lyoto
Rashad
TRT Vitor
And with Vitor being on TRT, you could arguably say that every one of those guys was in the midst his prime.

Shogun was the LHW champ, and Rampage, Lyoto, and Rashad were all within just a few years or less of holding the same title.

Vitor's fight with Jones was in the middle of Vitor's greatest run as a fighter, going 12-4 with his losses being to Anderson, Jones, Hendo and Weidman, but all of his wins were finishes save one, and included Bisping, Rockhold, Linland, Sexyama, Terry Martin, Hendo x2, Franklin (all of those by (T)KO), and a sub of Rumble.

That's an outstanding run by a Jones who was still pretty young. Not a fan of the guy, but you can't really deny that he has fought top tier competition and handled most of it with ease. Shame to think if how good he may have been with some self control. He was among the very best while perpetually self destructing. His drug failures muddy it up too for a lot of people, but based on what we know, that he didn't pop before or after any of those particular fights (and Vitor himself having been on something that was subsequently outlawed), anyone denying this run as one of the very best, if not the best, is kidding himself.

Waiting for GSP fanboys to throw in a streak that features Josh Koscheck

And with Vitor being on TRT, you could arguably say that every one of those guys was in the midst his prime.

Shogun was the LHW champ, and Rampage, Lyoto, and Rashad were all within just a few years or less of holding the same title.

Vitor's fight with Jones was in the middle of Vitor's greatest run as a fighter, going 12-4 with his losses being to Anderson, Jones, Hendo and Weidman, but all of his wins were finishes save one, and included Bisping, Rockhold, Linland, Sexyama, Terry Martin, Hendo x2, Franklin (all of those by (T)KO), and a sub of Rumble.

That's an outstanding run by a Jones who was still pretty young. Not a fan of the guy, but you can't really deny that he has fought top tier competition and handled most of it with ease. Shame to think if how good he may have been with some self control. He was among the very best while perpetually self destructing. His drug failures muddy it up too for a lot of people, but based on what we know, that he didn't pop before or after any of those particular fights (and Vitor himself having been on something that was subsequently outlawed), anyone denying this run as one of the very best, if not the best, is kidding himself.

Perfectly said. I'm a big fan of most of those five, but there's no denying how impressive that streak was. It's unfortunate to see people crap on the fighters and the streak ten years later.

Yeah amazing 5 in a row.

Also What is Prime Aldo?
Mendes is not done

An argument could be made for Usmans list being nearly equal using context ie Out of prime Aldo etc but even then Volks is better.

Israels is pretty good as well actually I would say Israels and Volks are about even.

Back