Does Volkanovski have the Best 5 Wins in a row ever?

Aldo was past his prime also.

Aldo was past his prime based on what?

I hate when people make this claim only based on him losing to the next generation of better fighters. The truth is no version of Aldo would ever be able to keep up with the insane pace, footwork, combinations, and feints of Volk, Holloway, and Yan (Aldo vs Mendes 2 took Jose to the limit as 102 strikes thrown, and he was notorious for having to manage his gas tank; Volk threw 200+ in last night's fight, Holloway throws in the hundreds too, etc.).

There's nothing in Aldo's performances lately that suggest he'd significantly out of his prime. His striking proficiency is better than ever, he just broke his own record for volume, and he had the speed to keep up with the BW division, which is faster than FW.

Last edited:
No. Context diminishes Aldo and Mendes and Jose but its still a very good run

Aldo was riding two finishes over top 5 guys, something he hadn't done in a long time before, when volk beat him. If anything, I think people didn't value that win enough

On paper, it looks great, but context is important.
-Wasn't prime Mendes
-Wasn't prime Aldo, and the fight itself was a complete stinker.
-The second Max fight is a win in the books, but I wouldn't call it a true win.

Jon's first five championship fights is the best stretch. Five former champions, and he destroyed them all.

Aldo was riding two finishes over top 5 guys, something he hadn't done in a long time before, when volk beat him. If anything, I think people didn't value that win enough
I'll agree to disagree on that. I'm not saying Jose was shot and done but a win over Aldo isn't worth as much now.

That's not really a fair comparison.

Again, 2 GOAT candidates, 1 of them in their prime and the other not far removed from it.
0 goat candidates in the Usman run.
So facts are not fair? Fuck outta here.

1 GOAT candidate most people think he lost that fight.

The other GOAT candidate was passed his prime.

Deal with it.

So facts are not fair? Fuck outta here.

1 GOAT candidate most people think he lost that fight.

The other GOAT candidate was passed his prime.

Deal with it.
Yeah, facts are fair.
No one in the Usman run are GOAT candidates, Aldo and Holloway are.
Holloway was/is in his prime when they fought both times, the first time was not close, the 2nd time was close but it was just about 50/50 in terms of who people thought won (check MMA decisions) and Volk outlanded Holloway in almost all of the rounds.

Aldo was probably a little past his prime, but arguably not and if he was it's not by much.
He shut all his opponents down.

Usman has beaten mostly former lightweights who have OKAY WW resumes.
It's not even a debates Usman run is objectively not comparable.

But since you're being a complete twat for whatever reason, welcome to the extensive ignore list buddeh

<28>

I'll agree to disagree on that. I'm not saying Jose was shot and done but a win over Aldo isn't worth as much now.

It didn't happen now, though. It happened before Yan and moraes beat him. Aldo was still clearly the best FW not named Max at that time, and you can't get much better wins than a win over the second best guy. Is it worth as much as when Conor beat him? No, but still worth a damn lot.

Last edited:
That's not really a fair comparison.

Again, 2 GOAT candidates, 1 of them in their prime and the other not far removed from it.
0 goat candidates in the Usman run.
He didn't win the second Holloway fight though.

When looking back - no doubt- a fantastic 5 fight block but too much history to dive into , given the many ultra impressive streaks in the heavier classes. Sir Holloway s reign , alone , above.

However- let's see who's up next for IRON AUSSIE.

Petits
Mighty mouse
Moraes
Tj
Cruz

That's one of the most impressive runs I have ever seen

Cruz was shot. TJ was horribly weight drained and looked near death going down to a weight he hadn't been at since he was hitting puberty.

r490403_3_1600x800cc.jpg

Moraes win was great at the time but it's aged horribly. Like the Max rematch for Volk most thought Henry lost to DJ

I'd say Jon Jones's 5 wins that have already been noted. He didn't have a questionable win like Volk did against Max2.

That's pretty dam good.

Or.....

Jones - Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Rashad, Belfort ?? or Gus, Glover, Cormier, OSP, Gus ??

Max - Lamas, Pettis, Aldo, Aldo, Ortega ??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back