Does the conventional DL carry over to OLifts?

gazhatton

White Belt
Reaction score
Was wondering if the conventional DL is a useful supplementary exercise to assist in the Oly Lifts. Most routines I can find seem to use the Romanian/Stiff Legged DL over the conventional one and just wondered why?

At least one of the reasons why Oly lifters don't train the DL heavy is that the first pull of the snatch or clean is optimally performed much differently than a DL. Training the DL might interfere with their snatch and clean form which is, obviously, counterproductive if your goal is Oly.

Because despite being superficially similar, there are important technical differences between a deadlift and the clean or snatch. RDL and SLDL are used as a supplementary exercise for the PC, conventional deads would add too much to the training load to be used as such.

At least one of the reasons why Oly lifters don't train the DL heavy is that the first pull of the snatch or clean is optimally performed much differently than a DL. Training the DL might interfere with their snatch and clean form which is, obviously, counterproductive if your goal is Oly.

Another reason is that it may interfere with recovery. Though on the other hand, heavy deadlifts will add more strength to an oly lifter which may help with the two lifts.

This has been debated/argued about before, you can try doing deadlifts with an oly routine and then try it without and see which allows you to progress better.

Olympic lifters do squats for overall strength, and the olympic lifts and their variants for "specific" strength. Most of them don't do deadlifts that much, as you will often use a different grip, possibly a different stance, different starting position, and it's just a different movement than say a clean pull. So it would be suitable for them, as an exercise to get overall stronger - but they are already doing squats for that, so they don't bother doing deadlifts too much. At least that's what I think.

Another reason is that it may interfere with recovery. Though on the other hand, heavy deadlifts will add more strength to an oly lifter which may help with the two lifts.

This has been debated/argued about before, you can try doing deadlifts with an oly routine and then try it without and see which allows you to progress better.

Yeah, I guess since everyones different a "try it and see" approach seems best.

I've been Oly lifting once a week and DL heavy once a week (3 days before Oly training) and havent noticed it interfering with recovery. My Oly lifts have been going up (only been doing it about 3 months).

I'm squating 3 times a week, alternating front & back but my squat hasnt gone up much, Im stuck around the 100kg mark whereas ive increased my DL 1rm from 160-180kg in the last month. Thinking about doing a volume/recovery/intensity Texas approach to my squats to see if that helps. Any thoughts on this?

Yeah, I guess since everyones different a "try it and see" approach seems best.

I've been Oly lifting once a week and DL heavy once a week (3 days before Oly training) and havent noticed it interfering with recovery. My Oly lifts have been going up (only been doing it about 3 months).

I'm squating 3 times a week, alternating front & back but my squat hasnt gone up much, Im stuck around the 100kg mark whereas ive increased my DL 1rm from 160-180kg in the last month. Thinking about doing a volume/recovery/intensity Texas approach to my squats to see if that helps. Any thoughts on this?

I would do what you need to do to get your oly lifts up. As far as I can tell, your squat should be going up when your C/J and snatch go up, but not necessarily vice versa.

Also shouldn't you be doing the Oly lifts more frequently than once a week?

ur squatting 3x a week but what does your squat training actually look like?

Due to my work shifts and the days when I look after my daughter I can only get there on a Sunday. I go to my local gym on a Tues & Thurs so I try and do things in the gym that will carry over to help my Oly lifts. Only doing it once a week doesnt seem to have hampered me and I'm progressing ok (lets face it Im never gonna be a pro weightlifter or any other kind of pro athlete but my goal is to get stronger and the Oly lifts are helping).

I normally alternate front & back squat and do 5x5 occasionally going for singles/doubles.

Back