Does smoking effects your Muscles??

Scientists aren't sure why smokers have less lumbar extensor strength than nonsmokers. It may be that chronic nicotine causes the muscles to be malnourished. Or perhaps smokers have other bad habits such as inactivity, being overweight, or drinking too much alcohol. Overall, smokers are generally less health-conscious than nonsmokers.

This is the first study to look at lumbar muscle strength in people with and without LBP who smoke compared to those who don't smoke. More studies are needed to confirm these findings. Based on the results of this study, the authors suggest taking a smoking history with back pain patients. Reducing tobacco use and improving strength may help decrease LBP.

Saud M. Al-Obaidi, PT, PhD, et al. Differences in Back Extensor Strength Between Smokers and Nonsmokers With and Without Low Back Pain. In Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. May 2004. Vol. 34. No. 5. Pp. 254-260.

Looks like smoking shows overall that you may generally just make bad choices when it comes to your health.

So you're saying every smoker is weak, fat, low on condition and ill most of the time?

My old Thai trainer, he's very well known in the MT world, smokes like crazy. The guy is in his late 40's and is in incredible shape. He'd take over for me sparring Mike Whitehead when I'd get beat up enough to have to take a round off. He weighed 150ish and would more than hold his own with a guy less than half his age and 100 lbs heavier.

If smoking is the only thing that you do that's unhealthy, I don't think it's a big deal. My grandfather has smoked and drank like a champion since he was in his 20's. He's 85 now and can still make his biceps dance. He stayed very active until his 70's when his knees gave up on him.

Physical activity, diet, and genes play a huge role in health.

My old Thai trainer, he's very well known in the MT world, smokes like crazy. The guy is in his late 40's and is in incredible shape. He'd take over for me sparring Mike Whitehead when I'd get beat up enough to have to take a round off. He weighed 150ish and would more than hold his own with a guy less than half his age and 100 lbs heavier.

If smoking is the only thing that you do that's unhealthy, I don't think it's a big deal. My grandfather has smoked and drank like a champion since he was in his 20's. He's 85 now and can still make his biceps dance. He stayed very active until his 70's when his knees gave up on him.

Physical activity, diet, and genes play a huge role in health.

I've seen several Thai's in America that love to smoke. In between sessions for seminars they go outside to "shadowbox." They also take fights and train for about a week and still win over here. Damn Thai's.

My old gym had classes every hour. You could in whenever you wanted and do your own thing too.

Sem would go out between classes and smoke a few. He also drank a LOT of redbull. The man was an animal though. I'd rather fight a pitbull barehanded than him.

Nope, that's what Saud M. Al-Obaidi, PT, PhD said. I gave the reference.

And I used the word 'generally' b/c this is not the case all the time.

Back