Does manual labor build strength?

Simple answer: yes.

Complicated answer: yes and no.

Typical answer: read the FAQ.

if you're a relatively inactive individual of course manual labor would build strength..

if you're already strong and have to do manual labor and might sometimes skip workouts due to said manual labor it would probably be a detriment.

I worked as an ice cream scooper at thrifty for two years. Scooping that hardass ice cream day in and day out made my right hand a lot stronger than my left. That and masturbation.

if you're a relatively inactive individual of course manual labor would build strength..

if you're already strong and have to do manual labor and might sometimes skip workouts due to said manual labor it would probably be a detriment.

Take Ronin, for example. He's already jakt, and has to move heavy ass shit for work. When he misses a workout to do the manual labor shit, his numbers suffer a bit.

First off,Im new to this board how yall be.Well back to the topic at hand,I work in a wherehouse environment where I'm pulling 250+lb pallets with "manual" jacks and hydrolic jacks.So far my traps slightly grew,legs fairly solid(not tryin to sound cocky).As for strength,can barely do 100lb on the bench,but im used to lifting heavy a** flower pots,cinderblocks,boxes at work,etc.

First off,Im new to this board how yall be.Well back to the topic at hand,I work in a wherehouse environment where I'm pulling 250+lb pallets with "manual" jacks and hydrolic jacks.So far my traps slightly grew,legs fairly solid(not tryin to sound cocky).As for strength,can barely do 100lb on the bench,but im used to lifting heavy a** flower pots,cinderblocks,boxes at work,etc.

Why the fuck did you bump this thread? Jesus.

Weak bump.

I've spent years in warehouses and you can literally operate a pallet jack one handed while eating pizza with the other. I know. A fatter, younger, more optimistic version of me did it every day for a long time. I doubt this is going to get anyone significantly stronger unless their baseline was being wheel chair or bed ridden for the past five years.

My dad has never trained any strength his entire life and he can bench 350 5+ times and move objects that a powerlifter couldn't even grip. My dad moved furniture and taught me early that strength training translates to moving a weight in one direction and then returning it to its original place. A strength that comes from moving furniture can't be taught. No bar to grip, no proper technique, no rest between sets, and no 3 day splits. My dad literally broke his back twice before I was out of high school, and he to this day is a wide as a house and can run faster than men half his age. There are men who have never touched a weight in their lives and they could grab heavy weight and move it like it is their job.

Why don't you make me?

popcorn.gif

Yeah make him, dis gon b gud.

i always wonder how people even dig up threads this old.

immediately thought of brock lesnar and matt hughes.

My dad has never trained any strength his entire life and he can bench 350 5+ times and move objects that a powerlifter couldn't even grip. My dad moved furniture and taught me early that strength training translates to moving a weight in one direction and then returning it to its original place. A strength that comes from moving furniture can't be taught. No bar to grip, no proper technique, no rest between sets, and no 3 day splits. My dad literally broke his back twice before I was out of high school, and he to this day is a wide as a house and can run faster than men half his age. There are men who have never touched a weight in their lives and they could grab heavy weight and move it like it is their job.

I'm going to go on a limb here and say that your dad was just genetically gifted towards strength. Moving furniture your entire life will definitely make a man stronger than having lived a sedentary life (that is, assuming a work accident doesn't fuck you up), but it won't make them bench 350+ for reps without ever having touched a barbell.

One of the strongest dudes I've ever met in person was a guy in the army who had never done any strength training, or any sort of sports, in his life. He was built like a tank, had bulldog-type neck, and on top of that could do a full split (had never worked on his flexibility). The dude had done a good deal of manual labor in his life, but I'm pretty sure that had nothing to do with his ability to do the splits and it similarly wasn't the main reason why he was that big/strong.

Back