Does it Mean Anything to Be on a UFC PPV Anymore?

Random ppv from 2006. Hughes fought hoyce gracie in a meaningless catchweight fight. Co-main was dean lister (7-4) against sakara (11-3) in a rather meaningless fight. Ufc 60.

Still sold 620k......

The co-main for the next ppv (ufc 61) was josh neer vs josh burkman....

Mostly the PPV is filled with contenders / fighters with a number by their names they are trying to push, or card fillers after other fights have fallen off. Usually the third or so best fight is the prelim main...to get people on the fence to purchase the PPV...

Little different! People buy a boxing card for the main event, thats pretty much how it's billed. UFC more so for the whole main card. With the 1 minute break in between rounds a 12 round fight is 47 minutes. A 3 round UFC fight is 17 minutes. Pretty much how it's always been except for now UFC is watering down the main cards (like boxing) like TS is saying. UFC is going more down the road of Boxing than you think, but it sholdn't because it's a different sport..
Its still combat on PPV, and yeah they have gone the boxing route but not full boxing route...yet, its billed a bit "different" because of the heavy UFC branding, but the name of both guys is still in the event name, but its pretty clear they work in similar way, for Canelo vs Saunders most of the prelims guys got press conference time, UFC only had main and co-main, and sometimes they could go with just the main as others often get no attention

...not every fight on the main has to be PPV worthy but at least they have not gone full boxing.
Dude, we are getting there. TS is complaining about "Schnell vs Bontorin" on the main of a PPV

<FookIsThatGuy>

Those guys will be on a list of cut fighters a few months from now and everybody will post "good cuts" and "never heard of them" like they always do. This is UFC on 2021

<{hfved}>

Why is it so hard for some people to simply just watch and enjoy a sport that they spend half of their lives talking about on the internet without crying about it every fucking day?

imagine 30 some years ago, living in the boonies and having to wait for the dvd to show up at the video store before you even got a chance to see the fights you heard about from buddies from the city.

complaining about to many fights, fights you just dont wanna watch, to many shows.

to many fighter's making a living, to many opportunities for guys and gals in local promotions to start out in.

not driving to a hollowed out basement the bikers held smoker's in just to watch some live action.
It sucked I'm sure. But we are not 30 years ago. It's 2021 and UFC as the premier promotion in the world could do better with matchmaking and the talent in it's roster considering what is outside. He has a point...

Because if they put all the interesting fights on the main card nobody would watch the prelims. Personally, i prefer to skip prelims if there no interesting fights, that way i don't start drinking early and end up trashed by the main event.

No. Things are different than 10 years ago when they had those stacked cards, when it was a fight promotion and not a media company. It's a numbers game now. The ESPN card number deal. If it doesn't generate much more or honor their deal it makes less difference who's on a main card than back then.

That's why I am sitting this one out on PPV! I'll pay for a stream online from a legit site so I can watch it that way but not pay $75 all in.

I agree with TS. It makes no sense.

However, I speculate that the UFC is doing it for a reason such as:

Not blowing their w*d on the PPV, this keeps people interested in watching the Prelims and getting advertiser $$$.
If all the big names were just on PPV, I would never watch the prelims. Jacare on Prelim negates that.

Dude, we are getting there. TS is complaining about "Schnell vs Bontorin" on the main of a PPV

<FookIsThatGuy>

Those guys will be on a list of cut fighters a few months from now and everybody will post "good cuts" and "never heard of them" like they always do. This is UFC on 2021

<{hfved}>
Dangerously close, i agree.

Not really.. This is the 2nd card in a row I am taking off from buying.

Lame cards and ESPN Plus service when you have an issue pissed me off..

You’re lucky to get 3 good fights from an entire card these days. Being on a PPV main card means absolutely nothing. Any bum can get on. The main and co main are the only slots reserved for relevant fighters. The rest can be bums who go 3-6 in the UFC or boring ass wmma fighters like Chookagian

You’re lucky to get 3 good fights from an entire card these days. Being on a PPV main card means absolutely nothing. Any bum can get on. The main and co main are the only slots reserved for relevant fighters. The rest can be bums who go 3-6 in the UFC or boring ass wmma fighters like Chookagian
Lol at chookanogainfans

I’m still super surprised about Dominick Cruz vs. Casey Kenney being a prelim bout. I feel like that could’ve headlined a fight night card. Good way to get people to tune into the prelims I guess

Are you looking most forward to the cookerigan whatever name is fight?

For me personally it's Tony time!!
Ferguson-Dariush is an amazing fight. I hope Tony isn't completely shot and makes it Fight of the Night. Dariush is a beast though.

Not a fan of Chookagian. She's a boring point fighter. Hopefully Araujo can make her fight, but I'm not particularly optimistic.

imagine 30 some years ago, living in the boonies and having to wait for the dvd to show up at the video store before you even got a chance to see the fights you heard about from buddies from the city.

complaining about to many fights, fights you just dont wanna watch, to many shows.

to many fighter's making a living, to many opportunities for guys and gals in local promotions to start out in.

not driving to a hollowed out basement the bikers held smoker's in just to watch some live action.
I wanna live in the time line you do where dvds were available in 91.

Back