Does it Mean Anything to Be on a UFC PPV Anymore?

MMAProfessional

Golden Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
To be on the main card of a PPV use to mean something. They would put contenders and title fights on the main card. Now the UFC will throw anyone on there with no significance what so ever. Why the hell is Schnell vs Bontorin on the main card. Bontorin is on a two fight losing streak and just got brutally KO'd by France. Schnell is on a one fight win streak which was a close fight with journeyman Nam. Lando could be over them just because his fights are exciting. Shevchenko's last name could put her fight over them. Whatever for the Jacare because they need a headline for the prelims but you could but his fight in there and move Lee vs Shevchenko to the prelim main. I've seen worse.

I just can't put it together on what made them put that fight on a PPV. Neither have name value, neither have an impressive win streak, neither put on crazy exciting fights typically.

there was like 2-3 fights that were supposed to be on the main card but got rescheduled

People place too much importance and n card placement.

Card placement is about marketing nothing else.

Stop reading too much into it

No, they have definitely lowered the bar for PPV cards especially the main card. There's very little difference between a PPV card and a Fight Night card these days outside of the main and possibly co- main.

For a PPV that lost Diaz/Leon I agree put the strongest fight available to keep the card decent.The idea is to get people to purchase the PPV.With there already being a wmma fight on the card Lando's fight would have been the right choice anyway.You want people getting excited at the bar when the ppv's on to generate buzz.

Think about it this way...it could end up like boxing, 1 big fight and then guys you probably never heard of unless you are a boxing hardcore or not really interested in their fight anyway, they put Lara on Andy Ruiz Jr under undercard for a title...a mismatch of a fight, but he fought for a title on a very early fight, UFC 262 might have a few non main card worthy fights, but it could be worst, also the UFC seems to put a couple decent fights (feature prelim) to try to earn some last minute viewers, not every fight on the main has to be PPV worthy but at least they have not gone full boxing.

there was like 2-3 fights that were supposed to be on the main card but got rescheduled
Still...trying to find what made them bring that fight to the main even looking at the fights on the prelims.

imagine 30 some years ago, living in the boonies and having to wait for the dvd to show up at the video store before you even got a chance to see the fights you heard about from buddies from the city.

complaining about to many fights, fights you just dont wanna watch, to many shows.

to many fighter's making a living, to many opportunities for guys and gals in local promotions to start out in.

not driving to a hollowed out basement the bikers held smoker's in just to watch some live action.

Think about it this way...it could end up like boxing, 1 big fight and then guys you probably never heard of unless you are a boxing hardcore or not really interested in their fight anyway, they put Lara on Andy Ruiz Jr under undercard for a title...a mismatch of a fight, but he fought for a title on a very early fight, UFC 262 might have a few non main card worthy fights, but it could be worst, also the UFC seems to put a couple decent fights (feature prelim) to try to earn some last minute viewers, not every fight on the main has to be PPV worthy but at least they have not gone full boxing.
Little different! People buy a boxing card for the main event, thats pretty much how it's billed. UFC more so for the whole main card. With the 1 minute break in between rounds a 12 round fight is 47 minutes. A 3 round UFC fight is 17 minutes. Pretty much how it's always been except for now UFC is watering down the main cards (like boxing) like TS is saying. UFC is going more down the road of Boxing than you think, but it sholdn't because it's a different sport..

Same thing I was wondering. Good thread and fuck the haters lol, I'm against the further watering down of ppvs. A ppv that costs like 70 bucks should have marquee names filling up the main card. No excuses.

Cards as a whole are getting weaker but with the amount of events they are putting out that is to be expected. One thing I do like is typically now the featured prelim bout is better than the first two fights of the main card. Gets some interest in the prelims and helps to sell the card.

Little different! People buy a boxing card for the main event, thats pretty much how it's billed. UFC more so for the whole main card. With the 1 minute break in between rounds a 12 round fight is 47 minutes. A 3 round UFC fight is 17 minutes. Pretty much how it's always been except for now UFC is watering down the main cards (like boxing) like TS is saying. UFC is going more down the road of Boxing than you think, but it sholdn't because it's a different sport..
And if the fights only go 1 round they add in so many advertisements that you wonder if there is something else you should be doing with your free time.

It means the kind of people who skip the prelims are going to see you fight. So there's that.

Agree with you on this one. Jacare's (legend) , Vanata's (exciting veteran) and Antonina's (last name value) fights are better choices for main card than the 2 you mentioned in my opinion.

Back