Does hearing foreign languages affect your accent?

gizmo J

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know that people have accents because they grew up hearing words pronounced a certain way and I was wondering if growing up hearing foreign languages affect accents as well.

I grew up hearing Spanish a lot and would also watch Japanese anime with English subtitles and was wondering if these things affected my accent.

Last edited:
no. kindof. im not sure.. but when i hear foreign languages being spoken around me in australia i get fucking angry and vocally rage at them.

I know that people have accents because they grew up hearing words pronounced a certain way and I was wondering if growing up hearing foreign languages effect accents as well.

I grew up hearing Spanish a lot and would also watch Japanese anime with English subtitles and was wondering if these things effected my accent.
Yes and no it depends on the amount the foreign language is going in. The other important factor is the importance your brain on the input. So you could learn that anime is pronounced ahnimay but you would probably still call it anime because everybody around you would still call it anime not the Japanese pronunciation. Also the level of input in that pronunciation would have to outweigh the amount of input you got in your first language and have the I porta de to overrule your Inter el sense of the proper way/rules to use your language.

Accent has a lot to do with social conditioning and your perception of yourself. A lot of outdated science said that ability to gain new languages and accents is limited by the placidity in the brain and the idea that there is a critical growth stage in early childhood threat plateaus and then declines during and after puberty. Recent studies have actually been showing that the critical growth period theory is actually not true, what is more true is that when you hit adolescence you have already constructed a strong personal identity that extends to your subconscious language learning and pronunciation. It is also why some people claim to be able to speak better on another language when “buzzed” because being a little drunk will lower your filter and let you be more empathetic towards the people you are speaking with.

What you most likely gain is a sense of knowing how to sound the word out and then attach a second foreign sound to that meaning(word) based on your frequent exposure to that word in the foreign language.

no. kindof. im not sure.. but when i hear foreign languages being spoken around me in australia i get fucking angry and vocally rage at them.
Regressive Caucasianism at its finest.

I'm a believer
maxresdefault.jpg

lol i aint caucasian buds. and glad you picked the tone of my post.
Calm down bro it’s a karate forum. Dedicated to fixed fight fights in a niche sport among f-level “athletes”
also I don’t think I have heard an Australian use “ain’t”before is that used over there?

Calm down bro it’s a karate forum. Dedicated to fixed fight fights in a niche sport among f-level “athletes”
also I don’t think I have heard an Australian use “ain’t”before is that used over there?
what? i thought this was a great place to chat to girls online. heck ive been bamboozled for many a year.

ive been saying aint since i was really young. teachers used to tell me to stop it from when i was 12 years old so not that long ago, i also say arent alot.

No, english is not my first language and i do consume a lot of content in english, still i sound like anderson silva when i speak it, however when i pass sometime speaking english with a native speaker my accent gets less strong

No, english is not my first language and i do consume a lot of content in english, still i sound like anderson silva when i speak it, however when i pass sometime speaking english with a native speaker my accent gets less strong
lmao you sound like a girl.

No but my dad uses an Indian accent when he talks to Indian people. I think he thinks it helps them understand him or something.

Never been in a foreign country that long but was in New Zealand last year and I said one word like a Kiwi, freaked me out honestly.

yea i know people whove spent long periods in other countries and came back with accents

Back