Does Gunnar Nelson has the second best BJJ at 170?

ricky-bobby-if-you-aint-first.jpeg

Eh, its hard to get excited about prospects with terrible personalities.

I remember several years ago Sherdog had Gunnar on prospect watch, but after hearing him talk, I am confident his lack of charisma will be the limiting factor in his career

I wonder how his BJJ would compare to Shields, Diaz and Fitch in an MMA fight.

for me, an ice cold killer is more interesting than a ghetto retard or a clown repeating prepared lines. I'm not saying names.

I dunno why anyone would say there's anything wrong with Gunnars personality.

I love this guy, that melancholy act he does is hilarious. I'm sure he's putting it on it's pure gold.

His personality makes him unique in the UFC. This guy is going as far as his skills will take him which appears to be a long way.

He said he would be champion one day. I respnded with a comment about how it's hard to get anywhere close to the title when you have a personality that doesn't excite people.

You, on the other hand, made an empty post in your attempt to be the topic police

Even Fitch has had ONE title shot. If he'd won that he'd have become champ.

I remember several years ago Sherdog had Gunnar on prospect watch, but after hearing him talk, I am confident his lack of charisma will be the limiting factor in his career

Tons of people are talking about Rory MacDonald as the heir to GSP, and his personality is extremely flat when he's in interviews.

Personality is almost insignificant compared to what you do in the cage. If you are entertaining there you'll get a shot pretty easily and if you're not but still keep winning you'll get one eventually as well. Personality is just a bonus.

Also, considering Nelson vs Monson @ ADCC 2009, bare in mind that Nelson was only 21 years old with less than 5 years of experience in any kind of grappling.

And a brown belt to boot.

IMG_0586-SergioMoraes-AlanNascimento-AA2.jpg

Serginho Moraes is the right answer.

I hate this crap, just because he's calm and introverted you don't get excited about him? Have you never got excited for similar personalities like Fedor and Hunt just because they "lack in charisma" in interviews?

Look I get your point about guys with bigger personalities advancing quicker but the fact that you as a fight fan find it difficult to get excited about a guy like Gunnar because of his personality is absolutely absurd and it makes me question the reasons why you watch.

To answer your question though, I believe Sergio Moraes who recently participated on TUF Brazil has the best BJJ at welterweight. I'm not a BJJ expert, but I believe Moraes' credentials stack up to or even surpass Demian Maia's.

Moraes
World Champion (2006 brown belt, 2008, 2009 closed brackets, 2011);
European Open Champion (2011 open weight);
World Cup Champion (2010 open weight);

Maia
ADCC Champion (2007);
World Champion (2000

Does it really matter how good his BJJ is in a division with some complete grapplers?

Is Nelson the new bandwagon that everybody is jumping onto in the WW division?
How many of you will still be riding that wagon after he loses to Edwards?

Does it really matter how good his BJJ is in a division with some complete grapplers?

Is Nelson the new bandwagon that everybody is jumping onto in the WW division?
How many of you will still be riding that wagon after he loses to Edwards?

Demian Maia seems to be doing OK. And lol @ Nelson losing to Edwards.

Back