Does GSP stand a chance against Khabib?

OMMAniscient

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Everyone is talking about a return for a last fight to fulfill Khabib's dad wishes, and that would be 30-0 against tGSP. However, the last time GSP fought a real wrestler (Hendricks), he got beaten. Does he really stand a chance against Khabib at a catch weight?

Regardless of the outcome, I would love to see this fight.

Lol.... 19 top 5 wins in a higher weight class vs 4 top 5 with his best win being Coke Conor coming off a boxing match. Another delusional khabib fan, just look at that NUt Higging thread title

Prime GSP would beat him via competitive UD, even at LW imo. Current GSP most likely gets decisioned or submitted, regardless of what weight division they fight in.

You realize prime Hendricks would destroy Khabib right? Khabib has looked mediocre when he couldn't take his opponent down.

Hendricks had crazy KO power and TDD, but he is a much bigger guy so hard to compare because of the different weight class.

Not really at this stage now. Especially not at 155. But if Khabib wanted the fight he would’ve challenged him. GSP was there. And Khabib retired.

No. GSP is close to 40. Way out of prime.

He's too slow to defend Khabib's takedowns. I don't understand why people want this fight. If Khabib wins, GSP too old. If Khabib loses, GSP too big, too good.
The timing is terrible. Three years ago it was interesting. It’s not particularly interesting anymore.

A) GSP doesn't get lower than 170, hell his last fight was at 185
B) prime hendricks would absolutely fuck up Khabib. That's not a knock on Khabib either, pre-USADA Hendricks would have made usman look like a chump.
C) GSP is the single greatest takedown artist in mma history, specifically with his timing. it's 100% possible that he plants Khabib on his back the moment he tries that reckless pressure shit.
D) Even if Khabib beats him, this is a 40 y.o. man who has been retired for nearly a decade. Big whoop.

I think a younger and active GSP beats Khabib quite easily by keeping the fight standing and outstriking him, but GSP is old now, and he hasn't fought for a long time. At 39yo, that would be a difficult fight for him

We tend to forget how good he was in his prime against grapplers/wrestlers like Khabib

Georges is a 40yo man with multiple ACL surgeries and years of inactivity ITO MMA fights.......

i have no idea why this fight is so talked about. It does nothing for Khabibs legacy. Itd be massive if Georges at this stage of his career beat him tho

However, the last time GSP fought a real wrestler (Hendricks), he Won A Close Decision.
FTFY.

Stupid question. Does the Greatest of all time stand a chance against a champion from the division below his.

Even more stupid is this clinging to Hendricks won and it was a robbery. If you watched that fight with random beard guy vs random shaved head guy you would score it one way or the other as a very close decision. People who cry about Johny being robbed are viewing his performance with the Halo Effect. Johny did better than those before him and gets extra credit for not getting 50-45 UD'd or worse. Hendricks lost and POST USADA Hendricks fell off the map. Post USADA GSP became the MW champion.

The recency bias is strong on this forum. Prime GSP would have been a nightmare opponent for Khabib. His style is designed to enforce his game on opponents. GSP has/had perfect distance control and elite MMA offensive and defensive wrestling. He jabs and superman punches are designed to hurt opponents from far away. His sprawl might have been the best in MMA.

The LW division only has grapplers whose submission threats are not effective against Khabib, pure strikers or wrestlers who are not good enough for top 10. The last LW opponent who was similar to GSP in that regard was prime BJ Penn and maybe Edgar.

Khabib would be eating jabs all day until his orbital or jaw cannot take it anymore. But who knows how much GSP has regressed and what weight the fight would happen?

I think GSP beats him. If the fight happens in the next year or so.
Based on what he was saying about what Khabib does extremely well, I have no doubt he has examined every aspect of him as a fighter. All of his tendencies. Problem is I don’t think he has the physical tools at this stage to do much about it. He’s just too far physically beyond his prime.

Back