Does gary shaw fix fights?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Too $hort, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Too $hort

Too $hort Guest

wow the mma guys are calling shaw a scumbag and saying that he fixed shamrock vs le,I admit the fight did look funny.I just wanted to know his rep in boxing and I dont want to judge him for looking like a mafia sweat suit wearing greaseball,anyway its hella funny reading posts in the other forum.I'm not a fan of le or shamrock but I would like to know If I'm watching legit mma.

2. freedom fighter

freedom fighter Banned Banned

there has been suspisions in the past.

3. freedom fighter

4. Dr Fong

Dr Fong Blue Belt

"I dont want to judge him for looking like a mafia sweat suit wearing greaseball"

Nor should you. The two greaseballs who run MMA gave up their sweat suits long ago but it doesn't change where their empire came from.

5. Tam-Tam

Tam-Tam Management vs Labour

Sports? Fixed? NEVER!

6. DAZEDJELLYLEGS2

DAZEDJELLYLEGS2 Purple Belt

Venturing into the HW's is a bad move. I go there when I am drunk and in need of mocking foolishness. Back in 2005 the opinions got so terrible and idiotic it crashed the server. They banned some of the most pathetic posters and got it back online a couple of hours later.

True story.

7. BigPapaSmurf

BigPapaSmurf Brown Belt

it's not heavyweights it's contenders.

8. Coster

Coster Blue Belt

I will always remember Gary Shaw as the beaten man signaling for Jeff Lacy's corner to throw in the towel.

9. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

Fixed? I don't believe that sparring exhibition between Shamrock and Cung le was fixed.

Seriously, I've had suspicions as well. I don't see how anyone could watch Kimbo/Cantrell and not be embarassed for the sport. I also thought Cung le/Fryklund looked funny.

10. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

The short answer to this question is "yes".

11. bradlee180

bradlee180 Banned Banned

Here's an old post I made, but it applies here too along with the Kimbo/Cantrell fight:

12. Old_Fogey

Old_Fogey Cornish Bumpkin

Wow, I'm interested to hear more. I've never been keen on Gary Shaw. He's always come across to me as a bit 'sleazy'.

13. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

There's not a lot of SOLID proof, just shady deals and shit. He knows who he wants to win and how, with his Boxing and MMA promotion. Like Tam wisely said a long time ago:

"A Promoter's License comes with a one-way ticket straight to Hell."

14. 5acrossYOeye

5acrossYOeye Silver Belt

i respect almost everyones opinion in here

was the fight fixed last night?

15. Old_Fogey

Old_Fogey Cornish Bumpkin

Fair comment, sir. Thanks for replying. As I said before, he always looked a bit sleazy to me. At least I now know I'm not the only one who was a bit suspicious about Mr. Shaw.

16. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

How many fights do you see where the fighters give each other high fives and make faces at each other after every punch lands? Almost like "whoops, I hit you, take a break and recover."

Watch Shamrocks punches when he has Le on the cage. They look to me, likehe pulled them at the last second, turning his arm so it was more of a scraping blow than a solid punch.. Every punch seemed to be at half power. It reallydid look like a sparring session, Stephen Quadros even commented on it.

Could it just have been a funny style matchup? Geez, maybe. It sure looked funny.

edit- BTW, "almost" everyone's opinion? Thats a jab at me isn't it?:D

17. 5acrossYOeye

5acrossYOeye Silver Belt

i can understand that...

seano eventhough your a zab fan...you're good in my book.

here's my thing...why the broken arm?

I'm not saying it was or wasnt a work but ever since that pecker in the Contenders forum dropped that ridiculous claim its like everyone around here thinks its an automatic work.

also..frank didn't talk his usual shit about le. his talk was more about a turf war.

18. freedom fighter

if it was a work the broken arm was not planned i am pretty sure that they had some other idea to end the fight. the broken arm was an accident i guess and shamrock saw it was a good way to end the fight

19. 5acrossYOeye

5acrossYOeye Silver Belt

you know what..i watched the replay of the fight this morning with my friend and we noticed he actually threw a right hand and tried using it after it was broken and before the round ended....hmmmmmm.

20. Czechvarmander

Czechvarmander Green Belt

I noticed that as well but I doubt he would've known it was broken immediately after it happened and don't think him still attempting to use an arm with a broken wrist is any indicator of anything.

And while Elite did co-promote out this was still a Strikeforce card and Scott Coker is one of the more solid promoters in MMA.

I really doubt this was a work, the fight being all stand up was largely predicated on Frank being stubborn and wanting to prove he could outstrike Le, and also the fact that Shamrocks wrestling is not that great.

Without strong evidence to the contrary like suspicious betting as in the tennis scandals or admissions I have trouble accepting allegations of works simply based on how the fight played out, especially in a three round slugfest. Especially since there are cries of "work" after every weekend of MMA cards now.