Does DWCS favor American fighters?

Filthy Phil

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Recently we all saw the updates on how fighters from the Contender Series now make up a big chunk of the UFC roster. The UFC also updated that they are cutting 75 fighters.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the vast majority of fighters on this show are American. Is this correct?

If so, is it an indication that the UFC don’t put as much energy into signing talent from Europe/Asia?

Dana is a bit of a boomer so he find DWCS's numbers on youtube impresive and thinks this could translate to star power.
And english speaking fighters are a must to have starpower.

In the end tho it's more up to the fighter to make the first step the ufc doesn't need you it's the other way arround

You know it's a pandemic right now? DWCS is making up for a lot of fighters who aren't/can't travel right now and yes it favors Americans because it takes place in America.

very true. However, how do you think this will affect the org post-pandemic? Will it be bloated with sub-par American fighters?

Dana is a bit of a boomer so he find DWCS's numbers on youtube impresive and thinks this could translate to star power.
And english speaking fighters are a must to have starpower.

In the end tho it's more up to the fighter to make the first step the ufc doesn't need you it's the other way arround

The UFC does need new stars though.
With McGregor basically not fighting anymore, Ronda and Brock long gone, they are struggling to find big stars.
I love Adesanya's fights but I doubt he'll be as big (even half as big) as the aforementioned ones, Jones can get some buzz by moving up to HW, but if he loses it'd be deflated soon.

The ESPN deal means they'll stay profitable in the next few years, but they want to grow and get McGregor vs Nurmagomedov like buzz and cash.
To do it they'll need someone new.

very true. However, how do you think this will affect the org post-pandemic? Will it be bloated with sub-par American fighters?

I agree on this count though. DWCS fighters are littering the main cards and they are often very green at best.

Yes. It will be filled with sub par but entertaining brawlers that look like they fit the part.

And honestly the UFC will take entertaining over skilled. Skills are great for mma purists but entertaining is what makes casuals open their wallets.

American fighters are easier to get for the fights

They have a fair few Brazilians on there.

British and Russian fighters tend to get signed based on how they do in Cage Warriors and M-1 Global.

You know it's a pandemic right now? DWCS is making up for a lot of fighters who aren't/can't travel right now and yes it favors Americans because it takes place in America.
People have been able to travel for a while, and the contender series hasn’t only accepted fighters from America, there are many Brazilians that have been on too.

This season out of 93 fighters, 67 were American. So the answer is yes.

USA - 67
Brazil - 7
Canada - 3
Mexico - 3
Armenia - 1
Australia - 1
Bolivia - 1
Cameroon - 1
Chile - 1
Israel - 1
Japan - 1
New Zealand - 1
Russia - 1
Serbia - 1
South Africa - 1
Tajikistan - 1
Wales - 1

For logistical reasons, especially during this pandemic it makes a ton of sense to get American fighters. Keep in mind the matchmakers are there too watching so I am sure they tell the goof who they want.

Also they are doing a Tuesday night contender for Brazilians soon too. So wouldn’t worry to much about it

People have been able to travel for a while, and the contender series hasn’t only accepted fighters from America, there are many Brazilians that have been on too.
67 Americans to 7 Brazilians?

7 is a lot to you?

Dana doesn’t have petty biases, the all mighty Dollar Trumps All
<{jackyeah}>

Local talent is cheaper logistically...

And that’s 26 foreigners. Again another bad take by you.
63-26. Almost 2/3. It's a great takec away for me. If someone controls 2/3 of something they dominate it.

And here's the real question: how many of those foreigners live in the US? I'd be willing to bet almost all of them.

giphy.gif

It seems to me that there is more foreign fighters in the UFC than ever before. There are always a lot of new Russian and Eastern European fighters. I know, because I can't pronounce or remember the names of half the guys that fight on every card. A lot more from Africa now too. A Lot of good ones. Contender series is good way to keep a flow of American fighters coming in as well. UFC seems well balanced to me now as an international sport.

Back