Does donating blood affect training?

GreenSpotPop

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hi everyone! First post in the S&P here, but to make a long story short:

I train about 6-7 days a week (weights + cardio).

I donated blood I think 2 times before (about 6-7 years ago, before I started to seriously train)

I am blood type O, so they want it from me and my brother.

I wouldn't mind donating, since it is for a good cause, but like the thread suggests, will it hamper training?

Don't train the same day you give blood. They say it takes several weeks to fully recover from giving blood but personally, I've never noticed any problem as long as I didnt lift afterward the donation.

I donate blood a lot, generally anywhere from 3-10 times a year, depending if I'm giving Double Reds, Plasma, or Platelets. I'm actually supposed to go donate tomorrow but I don't know if I want to give up my workout.

Don't train the same day you give blood. They say it takes several weeks to fully recover from giving blood but personally, I've never noticed any problem as long as I didnt lift afterward the donation.

I donate blood a lot, generally anywhere from 3-10 times a year, depending if I'm giving Double Reds, Plasma, or Platelets. I'm actually supposed to go donate tomorrow but I don't know if I want to give up my workout.

That answered my question, Thanks!

While we're on this subject...what is the usual protocol for training after giving plasma? Same as giving blood?

How much money do you get for donating blood or plasma?

All free magicman, all for helping others. Whether its true or not, they say donating blood saves 3 lives. That's more than enough reason for me.

However, they often give you a free t-shirt. Make wonderful fishing shirts.

All free magicman, all for helping others. Whether its true or not, they say donating blood saves 3 lives. That's more than enough reason for me.

However, they often give you a free t-shirt. Make wonderful fishing shirts.

Hehe, yeah, they give you a free T-shirt and pizza/cookies when I donated blood back then.

What the... I was under the impression that people were paid to give blood. Do they only do that at certain times of need? Is the plasma the same or do you get paid for that? I could have swore I saw it advertised in the paper and they were offering money. I'm not crazy!!

What the... I was under the impression that people were paid to give blood. Do they only do that at certain times of need? Is the plasma the same or do you get paid for that? I could have swore I saw it advertised in the paper and they were offering money. I'm not crazy!!

I'm guessing it depends on which institution you go to. I donated to the Blue/Red Cross, which is a non-profit org.

Maybe there are some private hospital/org. that will pay for blood.

In Fort Collins, Colorado they definitely pay for plasma.

I can't remember exactly how much as I'm not allowed to donate (born in England). I think it was between 20-30 dollars depending on weight.

I'm guessing it depends on which institution you go to. I donated to the Blue/Red Cross, which is a non-profit org.

Maybe there are some private hospital/org. that will pay for blood.

There are plenty of places that pay for plasma... and from what I remember they pay decently well...

Does your schedule not allow you to go donate after your workout, or is there another reason you can't do it that way?

you get paid for plasma because it takes an hour to donate, you sit hooked up from a machine which sucks blood out of your body separates the plasma then pumps it back in.

It does a bunch of cycles like that and then it pumps could scalene into your body to replace all the plasma they take.

They usually pay 50 bucks a week for 2 donations a week.

did it in college, giving plasma sucks.

The blood bank is a conspiracy of Dracula and his night slaves.

Does your schedule not allow you to go donate after your workout, or is there another reason you can't do it that way?

I workout while I'm in town, which is about a 30 min drive. I'd be expected to give blood about noon, and I usually workout at 3. I might postpone it and just give on Friday.

Back