Does Conor McGregor have to perfect path to three titles?

iwillnotsubmit

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
You know how they say your only as good as your last fight...

Well maybe Conor McGregor is destined to have three titles.

Hear me out.

He beat Jose Aldo in 13 seconds. Jose Aldo was P4P number one. Maybe he beats Aldo 10/10 times but man he got blessed with that 13 second knockout. Now he doesnt have to fight Frankie Edgar who is on a heck of winning streak right now. Used to be lightweight champ and only lost it narrowly. And also lost a close decision to Aldo.

Now he goes up to fight RDA, who looks amazing right now but he could easily be thrown under the bus after losing to Conor fast or anyone really. People will say the real champ at LW is Khabib. And that Pettis wasnt really that good anyways he just got a lucky submission on Benson. And RDA got a flash ko on Benson.

And then theres Lawler... Who got the title from Hendricks in a decision he lost. And Hendricks got the title because GSP the true champ vacated it. Lawler almost lost to Rory and did lose to Condit.

He is also old and stand up fighter. Perfect for Conor.

Lol I don't really I agree with all this but I am just saying it isn't that entirely ridiculously.

If Conor is a big LW then he can be a WW. and IF he is champ at LW he can be a good WW. and Lawler isnt unbeatable. I do actually think he lost to Condit and well he kinda lost to hendricks to imo but it was close.
He really shouldnt even be champ. And he is a good match up for Conor.

But damn Lawler looks huge compared to Conor, But I bet if they fought the size difference wouldnt seem tremendous.

I for one do not see it happening but I would like to see it. The attention a three division champ could bring to the UFC would be amazing.

WW title is a bit too much of an ambitious move, but I'd like to see him attempt it if he gets past RDA. If he loses to Lawler, no big deal. If he wins, HOLY SHIT.

Yeah I agree somewhat. I think RDA will be the toughest fight of the 3. Lawler will lose due to the speed difference, unless he goes for take downs and tries to use his strength to over power and decision CM...

giphy.gif

WW feels nuts to me. While he is huge for FW, WW is just

I don't know....

Lawler is the right champion for Conor to be able to beat, in that he neither has a reach advantage like Rory/Wonderboy/Condit and is less likely to go for takedowns like Rory/Hendricks/Woodley. I think RDA might be a tougher matchup than Lawler.

There's a reason he dropped to 145 to begin with. Even if he gets past RDA it's silly to think he could beat fighters like Lawler, Rory, Maia, Woodley, Thompson or really any of the top 10 at 170

So much traffic about McG
Seems to be the most talked about fighter in the world.
Dana - do you copy ?

You know how they say your only as good as your last fight...

Well maybe Conor McGregor is destined to have three titles.

Hear me out.

He beat Jose Aldo in 13 seconds. Jose Aldo was P4P number one. Maybe he beats Aldo 10/10 times but man he got blessed with that 13 second knockout. Now he doesnt have to fight Frankie Edgar who is on a heck of winning streak right now. Used to be lightweight champ and only lost it narrowly. And also lost a close decision to Aldo.

Now he goes up to fight RDA, who looks amazing right now but he could easily be thrown under the bus after losing to Conor fast or anyone really. People will say the real champ at LW is Khabib. And that Pettis wasnt really that good anyways he just got a lucky submission on Benson. And RDA got a flash ko on Benson.

And then theres Lawler... Who got the title from Hendricks in a decision he lost. And Hendricks got the title because GSP the true champ vacated it. Lawler almost lost to Rory and did lose to Condit.

He is also old and stand up fighter. Perfect for Conor.

Lol I don't really I agree with all this but I am just saying it isn't that entirely ridiculously.

If Conor is a big LW then he can be a WW. and IF he is champ at LW he can be a good WW. and Lawler isnt unbeatable. I do actually think he lost to Condit and well he kinda lost to hendricks to imo but it was close.
He really shouldnt even be champ. And he is a good match up for Conor.

But damn Lawler looks huge compared to Conor, But I bet if they fought the size difference wouldnt seem tremendous.

I for one do not see it happening but I would like to see it. The attention a three division champ could bring to the UFC would be amazing.
Oh cool, look another in depth analysis of why a guy with exactly two top 10 wins at FW, is now a serious WW contender.

WW title is a bit too much of an ambitious move, but I'd like to see him attempt it if he gets past RDA. If he loses to Lawler, no big deal. If he wins, HOLY SHIT.

This. Exactly. RDA is the only focus anyone should be talking about right now and you cannot look past him. It would be foolish to do.

There's a reason he dropped to 145 to begin with. Even if he gets past RDA it's silly to think he could beat fighters like Lawler, Rory, Maia, Woodley, Thompson or really any of the top 10 at 170

Well in all honesty, if he some how managed to beat lawler, there's no way he would hang around to defend that belt. So lawler would really be the only match up at 170

Oh cool, look another in depth analysis of why a guy with exactly two top 10 wins at FW, is now a serious WW contender.

Two? Poirier was also Top 10 ranked when Conor finished him in the first and Siver was was fringe Top 10. Holloway is now Top 5, Top 3 really, and Conor beat him as well despite Holloway being young and training out of his garage he still got beat down badly for 3 rounds. Conor has 3, arguably 4 Top 10'ish wins at FW. With the exception of Edgar he's essentially cleaned out the division.

He's not that big for LW.

But yeah man... Lawler is a very good stylistic matchup for Conor (and for Wonderboy as well). He likes to bang and is very hittable. Conor hits hard. If Conor beats RDA decisively I can even see him as a favorite at WW. Yeah you can tell I'm crazy.

Two? Poirier was also Top 10 ranked when Conor finished him in the first and Siver was was fringe Top 10. Holloway is now Top 5, Top 3 really, and Conor beat him as well despite Holloway being young and training out of his garage he still got beat down badly for 3 rounds. Conor has 3, arguably 4 Top 10'ish wins at FW. With the exception of Edgar he's essentially cleaned out the division.
When Conor fought Max he was coming off a loss to Dennis Bermudez, was completely unknown and was nowhere near the top 10, and nowhere near the fighter he is today.

I'll give you Poirier, so let's say he beat 3... still far from cleaning out the division.

Aldo was much close to cleaning out the division, but no one ever entertained the thought of him challenging a WW, and rightfully so. How do you assume a guy can compete at 170 when he doesn't have a single title defense at 145, and hasn't even fought a 155. I mean we can joke about it, but to go to indepth analysis about why he can do it....

Back