Does CC have the best claim for the nr. 4 HW GOAT status?

Fedor and Werdum are top 5 surely. IMHO Big Nog is not. CC maybe 5th.

Dana White and Rogan confirmed it at the time.

Of course, it doesn't mean that Mir beating Nog twice amounts to nothing, but Nog wasn't at his best anymore.

That's not documentation.

First Nog fight happened in 2008 (7 YEARS ago!!!!!), right after Nog beat Sylvia. PRIDE fans tend to exaggerate that any time one of their fighters takes a loss, there must be an excuse.

many people considered Nog over the hill upon his arrival in UFC. also did you see how he moved in the Mir fight? he couldn't get out of the way of the punches because of how fucked his hips were.

Pretty sure Mir was sick for that Nelson fight but still smashed him in the decision victory.

Love people discrediting mirs wins, not like the dude came back from a motorcycle accident and lost years of his prime.

Mir never gets the respect he deserves because of what he did to nog which was make him his bitch twice.

JDS and Mir are higher on the list.

The iconic thing is that people who push Mir's wins over Nog and Crocop as equally beating the peak versions of them look to discount his own loses to lower level opponents post injury when he was in poor shape.

Go and find a video of Nog vs Sergei, watch it and then watch Nog/Mir 1 and tell me that's someone fighting at a similar level.

That's not documentation.

Don't be a bitch, it is a statement from the UFC. There is no reason in particular to doubt it. There is no documentation from a doctor that I know of to which we'd have access, but there was never any need for it.

As for Nog not being in the best shape anymore, his brutal career up to that point, and the numerous surgeries he's had between fights for which he's had to be pulled out of fights sometimes, are facts. That includes two hip surgeries.

Anyone with flashy head kicks is going to get overrated. .

Pretty sure Mir was sick for that Nelson fight but still smashed him in the decision victory.

Love people discrediting mirs wins, not like the dude came back from a motorcycle accident and lost years of his prime.

Mir never gets the respect he deserves because of what he did to nog which was make him his bitch twice.

JDS and Mir are higher on the list.

Mir won and that stands, but the reason people are so easy to brush of some of his wins is the same reason people brush of Schaub's win over Cro Cop. It's just not the same fighter. Like I said, love Mir. He's always chill as fuck. But it's not the same.

Cro Cop was never the best heavyweight in the world. Neither was Mir for that matter. A rather important detail people tend to overlook in these discussions.

1. Fedor
2. Nogueira
3. Werdum
3. Cain
5. JDS
6. Cro Cop
7. Fronk

Fedor gets subbed, KOd, and dominated by Hendo (MW), BF, and Werdum, yet Cain and JDS only get beaten by each other and Werdum and they are not 1,2, and 3. Until Werdum avenges his loss, it should be #1 Werdum, JDS, and Cain. Everyone else a very distant 2nd thru whatever you want to go up to.

I cannot concoct any possible argument in my head as to how Cro Cop could have a better MMA legacy than Minotauro. Nogueira has also beaten most of his best wins and can one-up the ones he hasn't, he had a far more consistent run in his prime, fought consistently stronger competition through all of his career and had a long run as the best heavyweight in the world, which Mirko did not. Not to mention having beaten Cro Cop while he was still in very good form.

The fact that Crocop already had a long and successful career in K1 before getting seriously into MMA was pretty amazing at the time.

He also has several titles in amateur boxing before he got into kick-boxing, sadly none of his bouts are taped.

He was already declining when he entered the UFC, the brutal Gonzaga KO upset was the final nail... (it was so sweet to watch him avenge it though :) )

And lol at n00bs thinking Big Nog was healthy for the 1st Mir fight.

In the second one no excuse, Nog blasted Mir, dropped him and the fight would have been stopped with a couple more punches; Rodrigo chose a riskier road and pain the price, props to Mir.

Still, Mir beat the worst versions of CC, Big Nog and Bigfoot ever.
The Roy Nelson fight was a good revenge from their grappling bout (it was in ADCC IRRC? Haven't watched it in a long time) that Nelson won though.
The Sylvia submission was great, the Lesnar one too.

Sure, some people will argue that it was Brock's 2nd MMA fight ever and that Mir got a gift of a restart from the ref from one accidental punch to the back of the head, but he still got the win.

many people considered Nog over the hill upon his arrival in UFC. also did you see how he moved in the Mir fight? he couldn't get out of the way of the punches because of how fucked his hips were.

Mir was over the hill after his accident.

A HW top 10 for me would be something like...

1.Fedor
2.Nog
3.Werdum
=.Crocop
=.JDS
6.Cain
=.Barnett
8.Sylvia
=.Mir
=.Arlovski

Yeh, documented in Big Nog's Book of Excuses

Staph might have been a side issue but the reason the book became so full is that Nog avoided the real reason which was "I lost because physically I'm in decline after a tough career with a messed up eye", what fighter wants to admit that's the case?

werdum has surpassed nog i believe for number 2

i disagree

Mir beat Nog 2xs, CC, Brock, Sylvia, Roy Nelson, Bigfoot.

His wins at least, are MUCH stronger.

this is a controversial post. but there is definitely a case for mir being ahead of CC.

EDIT- actually, on second review, Cro cop does have the better resume name wise.

Last edited:
Mir beat Nog 2xs, CC, Brock, Sylvia, Roy Nelson, Bigfoot.

His wins at least, are MUCH stronger.

LOL! I don't think so.
A declining Nog (both times) and CroCop.
He lost to Brock shortly thereafter.

and Sylvia, Roy & BFS??? SMH!!!:redface:

A HW top 10 for me would be something like...

1.Fedor
2.Nog
3.Werdum
=.Crocop
=.JDS
6.Cain
=.Barnett
8.Sylvia
=.Mir
=.Arlovski

How do you forget Bas?
If not for leaving MMA so soon, he'd be GOAT IMHO (not saying he deserves #1, but on the top 10? definitely!!)

Back