Does CC have the best claim for the nr. 4 HW GOAT status?

kikikhan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
1. Fedor
2. Minotauro
3. Werdum
4.?

Prime CC beat the following fighters: Fujita 2x, Sakuraba, Herring, Igor, Waterman, A. Emelianenko, Randleman, Coleman, Yoshida, Minowa, HW Wanderlei and Barnett 3x. With this winning resume he had the record: 21-4-2. Losing to Minotauro, Randleman, Fedor and Hunt

BTW. I don't think fighters with under 20 fights deserve to be in the discussion here.

Hes arguably that.

Id say one of the Goats of his era.

Mir beat Nog 2xs, CC, Brock, Sylvia, Roy Nelson, Bigfoot.

His wins at least, are MUCH stronger.

No such thing as a number 4 GOAT. Or even a number 2 GOAT for that matter.

Sherdog.

Oh come on.

Mir beat Zombie Nog 2x and Zombie CC and TRTless BF.

Don't just look at names.

CC beat his guys when they were in their primes or at least "supplemented".

Mir's wins are inferior.

Oh come on.

Mir beat Zombie Nog 2x and Zombie CC and TRTless BF.

Don't just look at names.

CC beat his guys when they were in their primes or at least "supplemented".

Mir's wins are inferior.

First Nog fight happened in 2008 (7 YEARS ago!!!!!), right after Nog beat Sylvia. PRIDE fans tend to exaggerate that any time one of their fighters takes a loss, there must be an excuse.

the case of cain and jds on the all time list is so polluted right now. Jds has a much better resume buthe had to go and clobbered twice by cain. So i cant really properly put those guys in place on a list like this. Here is what I think. Fedor and Nog are 1 and 2 with Werdum VERY VERY close behind Nog and pretty much over Nog with another 2 or 3 big name wins. I know that Crocop is a top 5 all time, just dont know who goes right before him or after and its either Cain or Jds, i just cant choose.

Still, OWGP Mirko, the worst possible match up for Nog and Werdum.

No, his wins over Nog, CC and Bigfoot were all vs shot fighters, at least he's at the low end of the top 10.

Personally I would say that Werdum, Crocop and JDS are all close enough behind Nog and Fedor not to really make much difference.

First Nog fight happened in 2008 (7 YEARS ago!!!!!), right after Nog beat Sylvia. PRIDE fans tend to exaggerate that any time one of their fighters takes a loss, there must be an excuse.

It's been well-documented that Big Nog was in terrible shape in that first fight

In terms of resume:

1. Fedor
2. Minotauro
3. Werdum
4. Mirko

In terms of being best MMA HW fighters:

1.) Fedor
2.) Mirko
3.) Nog
4.) Werdum
4.?

Have you seen how Minotauro was moving in 2008?

Not to mention he was coming of a recent staph infection.

Mirko and Nog share the second spot at HW IMO.

Reason for this is, even tho Nog is the better fighter, Mirko has had a waaaaay lengthier career with his K-1 run. Those fights in K1 were NOT like having fights in BJJ tournaments. Those were killers that rival MMA fighters damage wise and strength-wise.

No such thing as a number 4 GOAT. Or even a number 2 GOAT for that matter.

Sherdog.

This...

I'd say he's one of the top 5 greatest HW's in MMA history though.

Context is the key here. Not disputing Mir's wins. Dude's awesome. BUT...beating UFC Nogueira is not really that big of a feat. Especially if you take into consideration that even that old and weary version of Nog nearly ko'd Mir. As for Lesnar, when Brock got some fights under his belt the rematch went very differently. Beating Roy Nelson is not really an accomplishment, especially not when you decision Nelson. Hunt actually ko'd Nelson and was the first person to do so in the UFC.

Nog was dominated on the feet by Sylvia, totally dominated, until it hit the ground. Man, that victory was sweet :)

It's been well-documented that Big Nog was in terrible shape in that first fight

Lol. Pride widows. I'd like to see that documentation.
A lame excuse is not documentation.

Context is the key here. Not disputing Mir's wins. Dude's awesome. BUT...beating UFC Nogueira is not really that big of a feat. Especially if you take into consideration that even that old and weary version of Nog nearly ko'd Mir. As for Lesnar, when Brock got some fights under his belt the rematch went very differently. Beating Roy Nelson is not really an accomplishment, especially not when you decision Nelson. Hunt actually ko'd Nelson and was the first person to do so in the UFC.

Pretty sure Mir was sick for that Nelson fight but still smashed him in the decision victory.

Love people discrediting mirs wins, not like the dude came back from a motorcycle accident and lost years of his prime.

Mir never gets the respect he deserves because of what he did to nog which was make him his bitch twice.

JDS and Mir are higher on the list.

Lol. Pride widows. I'd like to see that documentation.
A lame excuse is not documentation.

Two days after the fight Dana White revealed in an interview that “Nogueira had just gotten over a Staph infection”.[14] Nogueira himself verified this fact several months later in his own interview, stating that he had a Staph infection “20 days before the fight, [requiring] 5 days in the hospital.” When asked if this infection affected his fight, Nogueira answered: “For sure.” In addition to this significant illness, his knee was injured during training for which he had surgery in February 2009.

Dana White and Rogan confirmed it at the time.

Of course, it doesn't mean that Mir beating Nog twice amounts to nothing, but Nog wasn't at his best anymore.

Back