Does cardio actually improves with practice?

S

SteveSmith

Does cardio actually improves with practice? Or only your capacity to endure fatigue?

SteveSmith said:
Does cardio actually improves with practice? Or only your capacity to endure fatigue?

I think they are one and the same brother

cardio improves= capacity to endure fatigue

No, cardio improves. you VO2 max improves, and as well as your muscular endurance. I assume by capacity to endure fatigue you mean the psychological ability to push harder, and that too improves.

Urban said:
No, cardio improves. you VO2 max improves, and as well as your muscular endurance. I assume by capacity to endure fatigue you mean the psychological ability to push harder, and that too improves.

Yes that's what I mean.

Also your heart is muscle. And this muscle grows if trained.

now here is a good question! what gets worked more?

The cardio polminary or the cardio vascular?

You know, I'm not sure. I'm not even sure there's any good way to tell. My guess would be immediately, the cardio vascular begins to develop more, then as you get more conditioned cardiopulmonary systems start to make more progress than the former. Then in advanced athletes, it switches back to cardiovascular beginning to progress more.

Because I figure at first your heart needs to learn to sustain the greater workload more so than your lungs, then as your heart becomes more conidtioned your lungs will need to function better to capitalize on it. Then as you become an elite level athlete, you need to sustain a heart rate for a prolonged period and it becomes more conditioned (a la lance armstrong with a resting heart rate of 42)

i actualy noticed this when i first started running again.

the first run i felt a burning in my chest

the second i felt a burning in my lungs

the third it was mostly muscle endurance pain

the fourth it was beck to chest burning

but each time i was able to run further and faster.

Urban said:
You know, I'm not sure. I'm not even sure there's any good way to tell. My guess would be immediately, the cardio vascular begins to develop more, then as you get more conditioned cardiopulmonary systems start to make more progress than the former. Then in advanced athletes, it switches back to cardiovascular beginning to progress more.

Because I figure at first your heart needs to learn to sustain the greater workload more so than your lungs, then as your heart becomes more conidtioned your lungs will need to function better to capitalize on it. Then as you become an elite level athlete, you need to sustain a heart rate for a prolonged period and it becomes more conditioned (a la lance armstrong with a resting heart rate of 42)

So a low resting heart rate is an indication of good cardio? And also I have a question. Is it dangerous to do intense cardio exercices? Can your heart suddenly stops or something? Will it make your heart die 20 years earlier?

i don;t think it would cause damage to your heart. You would have to iether do it everyday or do it for so long that you do damage. but your muscles give out way before this even comes close to being a problem.

Cardio I think is also sport specific. I mean if you can run your ass off dosen't mean you can last 2 minutes in the ring or on the mat. Dose it help, yes but the way you train should mimic th sport. Your body will condition itself to what it is used to doing.

To add to what Urban said, good indications of a strong cardiovascular system include; low resting heart rate, high VO2max, large stroke volume, short recovery time, high MAX heartrate, ability to exercise at MAX HR (or near MAX) for extended time, ability to reach MAX HR quickly.

It's important to work in the different intensity zones, aerobic to lactic acid, where different metabolic adaptations take place in the muscles which include things like improved ability to buffer lactic acid and increasing the size and number of mitochondria which are the power plants of the muscle cells.

Exercising your heart at high intensity levels will strengthen your heart over time, but you have increase the intensity over time and let your body adapt. You have to give yourself plenty of recovery time between sessions, because that is when the actual adaptation takes place. Also, training is very specific, so in addition to doing general cardio conditioning, you need to specific conditioning to the activity that you are training in, including both the fast twitch and slow twitch muscles.

Back