Does Anyone Use Antennas to watch T.V.?

Many years ago, I bought some copper wire, aluminum nuts & bolts, RF adapter(?) and made a few fractal antennas. Worked ok for the channels it could get and depended on positioning. It was mostly to watch local news.

Though there's not much watch IMO just curious if anyone uses it to watch what ever since everything is free.
I only use an antenna when I have to watch a football game or any sport. Network tv does not have a single good show even them showing a censored Yellowstone every week was awful.

Pluto is even better. A ton of classic shows on demand and some decent movies.

But to answer the TS, the answer is yes, people still use them to watch their tele.

I had one when we lived in DC.

$20 from home Depot

Got the networks and the old people free channels.

Plus, many embassies would broadcast news and sports from their home country.

It was great

p22100171.jpg

These homemade antennas from coat hangers and a 300 to 75 Ohm transformer supposedly work quite well. There are some digital HD channels that you can pick up depending on your location. Over the air can get better quality than with streaming. Also, with streaming, there can be latency delays up to 45 seconds for sports.

I have a shitty antenna for local channels, but plan to make my own antenna one of these days. I stream with Sling TV Orange and Blue, a Roku TV, and Chromecast with Google TV for my other needs. In general, I don't watch much TV.

Last edited:
I have one for when the power goes out so the cable and internet don't work.

I wasted like $150 on a HD antenna a few years ago, it sucked and i didn't get any local channels so i returned it.

p22100171.jpg

These homemade antennas from coat hangers and a 300 to 75 Ohm transformer supposedly work quite well. There are some digital HD channels that you can pick up depending on your location. Over the air can get better quality than with streaming. Also, with streaming, there can be latency delays up to 45 seconds for sports.

I have a shitty antenna for local channels, but plan to make my own antenna one of these days. I stream with Sling TV Orange and Blue, a Roku TV, and Chromecast with Google TV for my other needs. In general, I don't watch much TV.
The fractal antenna samples I saw had the copper wire bent to something like open ended Star of David/snowflakes. Not sure if aluminum back was supposed to help reception, but I removed it. I got mine on corrugated cardboard, but too flimsy on one axis. When I tried smaller snowflakes making up larger snowflake, I think that didn't help.

When I was reading about fractal antennas, some said the range was better than store bought antenna. One advantage is it doesn't need power like ones from store.

I wasted like $150 on a HD antenna a few years ago, it sucked and i didn't get any local channels so i returned it.
Google fractal antenna and make your own. Most parts can be bought at hardware store. Other part from Amazon.

fractal-template.png

Need to factor in extra length for the bent corners. Probably better to bend, then cut excess.

Last edited:
The fractal antenna samples I saw had the copper wire bent to something like open ended Star of David/snowflakes. Not sure if aluminum back was supposed to help reception, but I removed it. I got mine on corrugated cardboard, but too flimsy on one axis. When I tried smaller snowflakes making up larger snowflake, I think that didn't help.

When I was reading about fractal antennas, some said the range was better than store bought antenna. One advantage is it doesn't need power like ones from store.

fractal.png

https://bloodyelbow.com/2012/03/12/...-mathematical-equations-strikeforce-mma-news/

I ask Ronda about fractals.

I've seen those fractal antennas. Some wireless cards use fractal antennas on the PCB.

I have an antenna on my TV but it's still hit or miss on what it picks up. Guess part of the problem is living somewhere that doesn't have flat terrain.

Cable didn't work here for a month or two last year. We ended up guying a TV antenna to watch some TV. We only could receive 2 channels in english though and a number of Spanish channels.

Back