Does anyone regret not wrestling in high school?

ssckp86

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think about this whenever I think about wrestling
(What I'm saying is rarely)
But in judo there are wrestlers that come in and, if they were good wrestlers, win the lower lever competitions against better judokas, without using judo at that.
Even when the competition is at a high level Judokas who were good wrestlers in high school have a "strange hybrid technique" that is confusing to fight agianst. (From what I hear people saying)
Makes me regret not wrestling in high school, it is something that is irreplaceable and I could have done it for FREE.
Damn.

My high school didn't have a wrestling team. To be honest though, I probably wouldn't have joined if they did. I was too immature to get over the singlet.

The only thing I regret not doing in High School is not banging more girls. Lord I was a pansy and dumb back than.

I thank god that I wrestled in high school. Bjj guys are just cluless in the standup aspect. I love suplex guys and squeeze at the same time it takes all the air out them

I regret not wrestling longer and not having parents that made me stick with it. I wrestled one year and did pretty well....unitl I got pinned the first time then I quit. Stupid stupid stupid.

In the south, wrestling is starting to take ahold (no pun intended), but yes, I wish it would have been available.

I had to choose between basketball and wrestling. I don't regret choosing basketball but I do with I would have tried harder to compete in both. There was a lot more pride in my high school wrestling squad than there was in the basketball team.

I wanted to wrestle and asked my parents every year. When I finally payed to attend a local high school's wrestling camp over the summer before my senior year they realized I was serious.

Two weeks before the start of the season I got mono. I've been playing catch up ever since.

I am thankful my father pulled me out of the other sports I was in, and when I started freshman year, forced me into wrestling. At first I hated it, but as I became stronger, I started winning a lot.

Since then, my wrestling has gotten very good (never placed in states, but I beat 4 state placers in one year) and It has helped me against BJJ and Judo guys SUBSTANTIALLY.

I now do Judo as my main art, and sometimes BJJ.Though I gotta say I enjoy Sub. Wrestling more. I love takedowns too much, and BJJ isn't very good with them. Which I why I chose Judo over it in the first place.

I think about this whenever I think about wrestling
(What I'm saying is rarely)
But in judo there are wrestlers that come in and, if they were good wrestlers, win the lower lever competitions against better judokas, without using judo at that.
Even when the competition is at a high level Judokas who were good wrestlers in high school have a "strange hybrid technique" that is confusing to fight agianst. (From what I hear people saying)
Makes me regret not wrestling in high school, it is something that is irreplaceable and I could have done it for FREE.
Damn.

Well...the number one reason wrestling guys switch over and do well is that wrestling is much more popular and much more competitive in the U.S., therefore resulting in better athletes (generally speaking). What also happens is that great youth Judoka who aren't Olympic hopefuls switch to wrestling because there isn't a high school Judo program in their area.

If some clutzoid duffus goes to his high school wrestling coach and wants to be on the team, he is going to get a tryout and if he is non-athletic or otherwise hopeless, he is going to be sent over to the drama team or something. If the same duffus shows up at your local volunteer taught Judo dojo he is going to be humored and treated well until he gets better, quits, or resigns himself to being a kata guy.

This is both one of the great things about Judo and one of the weaknesses. Personally I think its what Judo is all about, but it does result in a lower quality of athleticism.

Really if Judo was more popular it would be more self-selective with highly competitive Dojo's and more community oriented dojos.

Thank god I wrestled in high school. I only regret not taking it seriously. At the time only 1 school in canada offered a wrestling scholarship. I wasn't good enough to get that 1 maybe 2 spots, so I didn't dedicate myself. Now, a lot of schools offer scholarships.

I can't count how many times wrestling has helped me, in judo, mma, life and now BJJ. Here is my blog entry for my first class at the new BJJ gym I am attending.
http://tonyssubmissions.blogspot.com/2008/04/daily-submission.html
As usual my wrestling and judo background helped me. I was tired as hell but my ability to scramble and my control allowed me to remain competitive....Position, position, position. If I was a position over submission grappler, I would have been tapped a lot.

sometimes i wish i did, but i dont lose sleep over it...

I wrestled my last two years, but I do regret not starting earlier.

I would have loved to wrestle in school, it was not like I did much anyway.

I have two petpeeves when it coems to my parents, they never forced me to stick with the flute (in music school you had to play flute a year before you could pick up any other isntrument) I quit after a few months, I could have stuck with it and then changed to guitar ):

And I could never play hockey, I could have been the next Tie Domi...

My school didn't have a wrestling team till after I graduated. Damn the bad timing, I do Judo and which I would have done it earlier in my life.

i played hocky/wrestled in highschool,i was good at hocky but couldn't wrestle to save my life!!!so f'ing no....

The only thing I regret not doing in High School is not banging more girls. Lord I was a pansy and dumb back than.

Quoted for truth. I was absolutely oblivious and passed up so many opportunities due to monolithic idiocy.

Back