Does anyone regret not wrestling in high school?

No, they where gay singlets in highschool.

j/k

Yeah some times i wish i would have picked up wrestling. My conditioning would have been better, and my top game more dominate.

I have the tendency to be super lazy now when i fight.. because i can just play from guard any time i dont feel like pushing the pace.. which is often.

I'm not sorry I didn't wrestle. I was a competitive swimmer in HS. Competitive swimming made me very flexible both upper and lower body, and certainly taught me tons about work ethic and conditioning. Swimming also got me a job lifeguarding on a beach in my hometown, which was a pretty cool college job. Wrestling might have made me better at BJJ/judo, but my college summers would have been much less fun.

They don't have High School/College wrestling here. It's a pity. I think I really would have enjoyed it.

I regret not doing my freshman year and giving it up when I went into college.... I completely regret not doing it in college.

I'm not sorry I didn't wrestle. I was a competitive swimmer in HS. Competitive swimming made me very flexible both upper and lower body, and certainly taught me tons about work ethic and conditioning. Swimming also got me a job lifeguarding on a beach in my hometown, which was a pretty cool college job. Wrestling might have made me better at BJJ/judo, but my college summers would have been much less fun.

Swimmings a great sport, I always have respect for swimmers. We all played water polo once at wrestling camp and truth be told it was rough, we all swam like rocks lol.

My first day of high school i walked intot he gym and asked the phys ed teacher where to sign up for wrestling and he laughed at me and said wrestling hasent been at this school since the 70's .....the only wrestling in highschools around me was in rual area's iwas pissed and wanted to move to the sticks .

I can't wait to be a mod, shit like this would never make it this far.

Interesting topics most people agree with?
You are not qualified to be a mod.

Anyways, for most it seems to be a hindsight thing.
I didnt really like the singlet thing and the conditioning for wrestling was insane.
Haha, thats why I just played football.
But once you get into Judo (or Bjj) you can see how much wrestling experience can benefit you.

Not really, the wrestlers at my school were the hugest assholes around. They'd get in street fights every week and try to fight on campus all the time, so I'm really glad I wasn't a part of that type of a team.

EDIT- Now I train under an ex wrestler anyway and get to learn all the same wrestling shit I missed out on and deal with wrestlers just fine, otherwise I might regret not wrestling.

I did wrestling b/c most of my buddies were doing it. I sucked pretty bad first year (got stuck filling 135 vars, first year+varsity=bad) but improved a lot junior and senior year. Kinda regret not doing it earlier. And I can't believe you would've been able to do it for free, sports at my school were pretty expensive.

But wrestling does translate very well to Judo/BJJ/etc.

I wrestled in H.S., i regrett not taking it seriously. I didnt eat right, didnt train other than in the wrestling room,I wasnt a dedicated wrestler.

Swimmings a great sport, I always have respect for swimmers. We all played water polo once at wrestling camp and truth be told it was rough, we all swam like rocks lol.

Heh, water polo is even rougher when you play with people who swim well. I had a buddy who played water polo for a very competitive college team and he told me the following "Yeah, we played the Naval Academy, and all those guys were faster swimmers than we were, so we would kidney punch them whenever we got close to them, to slow them down. We won." He was missing several teeth from water polo too.

I regret it, because I still can't wrestle worth a damn. Everything I know about wrestling was picked up on the fly or taught in a BJJ application. Thus, I've been LnP'd several times at grappling tournaments.

I'm always bitter losing 2-0, I'd rather get subbed in an entertaining match!

I wrestled two years varsity in middle school. The coach was good friends with the high school coach, & we would cross train with them in the summer, it was cool, but when i got to HS i stopped it because i messed up my neck, i had a pinched nerve, plus i wasnt that into it back then. But alot of what i learned in middle school is coming back even though its been like 8 years or something. If i wrestled in HS i would have prolly got laid, and had more fun in HS, but instead i turned in to a nerd & got my career going by the age of 18.

I wish I'd wrestled more in high school. Not so that it would have helped my jiu jitsu, but because I wrestled in my senior year and would have been a hell of a lot better if I'd wrestled as a sophomore or junior. I had no idea how much I'd enjoy wrestling.

Back