Does anyone actually train anymore?

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
Give us some insight into your training/not training. I know COVID has disrupted almost everyone’s life. Do you guys train at home? Go to the gym? Lost motivation and put your energy into something else? (Like drinking and watching tv) What’s it like for everyone right now as we’re 3/4 done with 2020.

Im personally ready for this vaccine. Idc if I get aids, cancer, and microchipped all at once I just want everything (just gyms and local fights) reopened while safe for everyone

Last edited:
The 2 gyms I go between both said fuck it from the get go. Both have some cops and current/ex-military so rules weren't enforced on the gyms. I'm pushin 40, but still kickin ass. More focus on mobility drills than my youth though. I can't imagine not training. I don't even enjoy vacations like I used to b/c after about 10 days I feel the need to spar.

my training routine when i can be motivated enough to follow it atm is

20+ push ups between each match of apex legends.
20+ sit ups between each match of any other game
M-F
Saturday 12+ minutes of cardio/bag work
Sunday 30+ minutes of kata

...i've been slacking the last two weeks or so though...

Lifting gym is open so I'm still doing that

MT gym opened for about 2 months now. Right now I'm back, no sparring or clinching, but padwork and bagwork. The advanced group is basically 1 on 1s with the coaches and its good. Like accommodated privates in a way. Gotten some good stuff out of it. It was also good to see the teammates again.

A couple of other gyms in the area are doing lame practices where every session you attend you pay $25. That's a bit dirty, your students are already paying gym fees, and have been doing so during the lockdown to help out, and now you're gonna charge them extra on top of their already monthly fees? C'mon mang

Did a full camp from April to Aug when states would have been held. I got 17 days in a row in July. Was trying for 19 but someone stole my old running shoes off of my patio-my loop has some off pavement and my lady forbid dirty shoes in the house-on the 18th morning so I took the day off, so 19 out of 20 days. The big caveat is because the club was closed I wasn't taking any damage just kicking my own ass 4 hours a day.

So yeah, still putting in at least four days a week!

I haven’t done anything with another person since March when I was doing some wrestling drills and light Sanda sparring.

A fitness gym opened up near me about two months ago, since then I’ve mainly done bag rounds, a circuit mixing bag rounds with kettlebell swings and sprawls, plus leg weights.

I doubt I’ll be able to do any organised sparring before the end of the year in the UK.

Haven't done sprints or lifted heavy in over 5 months now. Surprisingly I'm still in decent shape

I have not been able to train since April even though the gyms in my area reopened in june. I hurt my knee and developed patellar tendonitis doing a home workout when the lockdowns first started and I just have not been able to get it to heal. I'm beginning to get afraid that it will be permanent

Did a full camp from April to Aug when states would have been held. I got 17 days in a row in July. Was trying for 19 but someone stole my old running shoes off of my patio-my loop has some off pavement and my lady forbid dirty shoes in the house-on the 18th morning so I took the day off, so 19 out of 20 days. The big caveat is because the club was closed I wasn't taking any damage just kicking my own ass 4 hours a day.

So yeah, still putting in at least four days a week!
Sorry for taking your shoes bro, it was just laying there so I figured they were free.

I haven’t done anything with another person since March
What about laying in the pipe?

My boxing and bjj gyms are open again since August.
However, I have very old people in my surroundings and I don't want to put them in danger just because I want to roll, especially considering there is a second wave in the area where I live.
So I haven't sparred for 6 months. Got myself a heavy bag to train at home. Have been doing tons of shadowboxing over the last 6 months.
I also lift some weights from time to time. Moreover, I am fortunate to live near the sea, so I also swim regularly, which is great for cardio IMO.
Between March and June, I let myself get a bit out of shape (gained 7 pounds of fat) but since then, I've been active again. I take profit from this situation by working on my kicking game a lot.
So my schedule roughly looks like this
Day 1 : 1 hour workout with the emphasis on kicking (shadow kicking, heavy bag, tma drills)+ stretching
Day 2: a 1 hour swim in the sea+ a bit of shadow boxing+stretching
Repeat
And once a week I lift some weights (I just have a pull-up bar and a barbell, but I still target the whole body, doing deadlifts, pushups, pullups, and clean and jerks) . I also try to do some bjj solo drills from time to time but striking>>>>>bjj for solo training+I am fed up with shrimping on the carpet, so I haven't managed to be consistent with this that far...

Bottom line, I'm not in the greatest shape in my life, but definitely not out of shape.

Last edited:
I intended to as I was in a great routine before COVID. Had dropped about 2 stone, running 5k almost every day, getting two gym sessions in during work.

Then I decided to drink and eat pizza every day.

Just signed up to kickboxing to sort of instill that "class mentality" on myself as the sole responsibility isn't working so far.

Yes, at home as I've allways done. Heavybag, dumbbells,barbell, jumping rope, and my bike for cardio.

Plus gyms are open here in germany again for a long time now and I could do grappling and boxing in my gym again.

I haven't trained with another person since I taught my last class in March.

I've been lifting almost every day at home, and drinking protein shakes (something I've never done). I've gone from about 203 to about 217, and it seems to be mostly muscle. I don't look any fatter. All of my lifts are up.

I do floor exercises (shrimping, sit outs, stretches, etc.) and do my regular physical therapy exercises. I shadow box (usually 3 five minute rounds) to end my workouts.

I have a bouldering wall that I built in my house, and I use that to supplement my other training sporadically.

BJJ gyms are open in my area, and I could be rolling daily if I wanted to, but the numbers haven't hit the gateways recommended for that kind of contact, so I'm staying away. My gym is open for limited classes, but nothing like personal contact. I know that they are doing private trainings with members, as well as sparring and close contact training behind closed doors. I could be doing all of that if I wanted, but I don't. Our numbers continue to spike here, though they are gradually falling. My gym has two locations, and both of them have areas that are closed to the public. If numbers do fall enough that I am willing to start going back into the gym to train, I plan to use the rowers in the closed off areas to start to try to regain some cardio. Interval training on the rowers is somethin I've always liked, and I think that's going to be my first foray back into training in public.

All in all, I miss live combat training tremendously, but the time off has probably been somewhat good for me. I'm 44 years old, with severe stenosis in my neck that can sometimes lead to severe acute and chronic pain. The time off has been good for my neck, my strength has gone up, I'm more flexible, and my body overall feels better than it has in quite a while. My cardio has for sure taken a hit, and I'm sure I have lost a step in regards to sparring and rolling.

True athletes dont train and still win like my friend or woldog

Thats how you know whos talented and will be champ and who wont be champ

Stationary bike, heavy bag, and double end bag at home. I haven't been to the gym since mid-March and I've held off going back to the gym since I'm in contact with older folks regularly.

My area's also had a few infection scares, so I'm thinking I'll probably wait until the vaccine is out or some event causes numbers to start going down drastically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back