• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Does anybody really get crossover star vibes from O'Malley?

He is like these modern internet celebs, he doesn't really have that star feel and natural charisma but for some reason kids like it when he games or talk nonsense on camera.

If O'Malley can stay on top, he's going to be at Silva level in popularity. He gets more attention than people want to admit. I honestly at this point just hope for any kind of star at this point. Most of this generation has been sort of flat.

He needs to move up a couple weight classes before he can be a megastar.

He still looks like a scrawny high school furry

It's not just his fights that make him a star. It's that he's one of the best self promoters out there, sticking out with his hair-do'z, podcasts & various other content.

He was definitely moving teh dial before he became champ... & getting that belt just legitimized all his hijinx.

absolutely not and it's a terrific litmus test to not only test the individual taste of a person but their level of seriousness as well

He is like these modern internet celebs, he doesn't really have that star feel and natural charisma but for some reason kids like it when he games or talk nonsense on camera.

Did the kids even like him, though?

They don't buy PPVs, but they should be all over any online appearance that he makes.

I think he's got potential to be. But he's not grasping it convincingly yet like a Conor Mcgregor was able too. The guy has actually grown on me a bit, and i've heard a number of clips from his podcast where he'd give his opinion on something and i'd be actually agreeing with him. I think he's good at rationalizing things. But he seems weak at times in mic'd up camera heavy moments which seems to kind of be preventing him from really going over. Like the in cage moment with Aljo where they started jawing at each other. And Aljo was running his mouth. And all sean could come up with was "You better hope you look better than that", and "you better be ready to cut weight". Nothing snappy, nothing clever at all. A moment you should be using as a lightning rod and he came across like a deer in headlights a bit with not much to say. Thats where he's seeming to struggle. His in the moment gabbing isn't really there. And a guy like Conor could gab for days at his best. And it really got him over. He's built an online audience, and built an appearance/character. But he's missing that ability to really flow in high viewership tense vocal moments to really capture peoples attention outside the MMA community.

Agree with this. It might help him to come up with some prewritten bits.

Nope. He's been smart by linking up with Nelk and other Gen Z content creators but every time I hear him talk he has very little natural charisma.
That's the irony, he's terrible on the mic. That exchange he had with Aljo was horrible.

He's an action fighter, and I don't think that he needed to be protected to the degree that the UFC did.

I just don't buy him as some sort of budding superstar.

He comes off as someone who's trying too hard.

He doesn’t need to do that imo. I was sold the first time I saw him fight. It was obvious he had incredibly slick striking which is a joy to watch.

His stardom is artificial. O'Malley just sits there quietly at his press conferences and no one really cares one way or the other about him for the most part. Sterling even said his PPV buys were extremely disappointing.

He’s an awkward nerd that smokes weed that just so happens to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing strikers in the UFC.

In other words; nope

I mean me neither but Izzy doesn't give me superstar vibes either and he does better ppv numbers than anybody else since Conor. I think both O'malley and Izzy appeal to the TikTok Gen Z generation.

It's simple: does anyone know him outside of UFC fans? No. Well there's your answer.

Even my mum heard of Conor. Numerous non MMA people know GSP, Fedor, Khabib. Sean? Absolutely not.

Of course a few more KOs and his profile will rise further, however to me he seems to lack natural charisma or a clear non-MMA demographic he can appeal to. Topuria has a bigger chance to make it big as a crossover star with all the non-MMA media exposure he's getting in Europe, as long as he keeps winning for a while.

Back