Does anybody own both Lucky and Shoyoroll?

I own 8 Lucky gis, I only got them to compensate for my lack of skill, but they haven't made me any better (thought they would include a box of jiu jitsu talent for the $250 price tag). oh well, looks like I'm just as good as I was with my original HCK unbleached :(

I own 8 Lucky gis, I only got them to compensate for my lack of skill, but they haven't made me any better (thought they would include a box of jiu jitsu talent for the $250 price tag). oh well, looks like I'm just as good as I was with my original HCK unbleached :(

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

Or because it is using 100% american cotton vs imported cotton like other gis and the transit costs etc. I don't know, I don't work for OTM but like I stated that aside from that 1 tiny rip they have held up for 3-4 years with 6 days a training 2-3 hours a night.

The collar now is made of EVA foam vs previously I believe it was just the standard collar. To me it feels just about the same but a bit softer now.

The shrinking issue is definitely one that I found as well. They are inconsistent between them as well. My lovato gi has shrunken a lot but that is cause its a different weave. My original white gi is also fairly small in comparison to my black and blue gi. I believe the Lucky gis are basically shrink to fit gis and not preshrunken at all. you will have these issues like any other gi because people throw them into the Hot wash then dry it as well. After the initial shrink you should just hang dry it.

I guess I'll chime in here guys since I own both brands.

I own a Black Lucky Gi as well as a White Lucky Lovato Jr Gi. Both are about 2-3 years old.

I also own a batch #5 Shoyoroll Superlite in White w/red trim, and also a batch #6 Shoyoroll in Blue. These are about 1 year old now.

OP asked which one I'd prefer, and that's a pretty hard question to answer in just one statement.

Both brands have their positive and negatives.

Sizing & Fitment
I think Gi fitment really has to do with your bjj game, how you roll, do you like a loose fitting gi, do you like it fitted to your body, do you use your lapels to choke etc. I personally like a Gi that is fitted and taylored. I'm not sure if it's some sort of placebo effect it has in my head, but having it fitted to my body gives me a sense that my opponent has less to grab onto.

The Lucky's are very fitted. Besides the way they are cut, it has to do a lot with the fact that they shrink down TREMENDOUSLY. Do a search on the forum here, my buddy " bjj_addiction " has done a seriously indepth review on both the Black Lucky and the Lovato Lucky. Seriously, the thing will shrink down almost a full size if you force it to (hot wash, hot dry, rinse and repeat). That means, if you are inbetween sizes, ie// you are at the upper upper range of an A2 and ur afraid u may gain weight, you probably should buy an A3 and shrink the living shyt out of it.

The Shoyorolls on the other hand, do not shrink very much at all. The cut of the jacket is good, but from my experience of the batch #5 and #6, the pants are WAAAY off wack. The Shoyorolls are very much taylored, but the pants fight very tight. I'm not a very thick guy, 5'8 155lbs. I wear A1 in Shoyoroll, but the #5 pants were so tight I can't wear them anymore. The #6 pants were improved, I can wear them and actually they ARE my favorite pants. BUT, they are still so tight, that my training partners complain that "im cheating" because they can't grab any of the fabric when my legs are bent (ie// sitting in their guard). Also, the Shoyoroll collars are very thin, thus making it easier for your opponent to use against you.

If I were to pick which one fits me better, I personally love how my Lucky Gi's fit. But mind you my favorite combination to wear is the Lovato top + the blue shoyoroll #6 pants :icon_twis

Quality & Durability
It's a bit hard to compare Gi's of different age, but overall I think the Shoyoroll Gi's will last you longer. The material has a tight weave, and is very durable. I've washed my Shoyorolls dozen of times, the only sign of wear and tear I see is at the bottom tips of the lapel shredding down, but ALL my Gi's experience this.

The Lucky Gi's I have both have holes and tears in the collar, but not to the point where the Gi is unusable. Mind you... they are 2-3 years old now, and at one point I would wear them 4-5 times a week, and wash them 4-5 times a week for months on end.

If I were to choose on Durability, I'd say Shoyoroll.

Quality, they are both quality products.

Pricing

Shoyoroll. No doubt about it. No argueing here. Shoyorolls price range is $160 while Lucky is $200-$250 depending on where you shop.

People bytch about "Why is Lucky so expensive blahblahblah...". Well go ask yourself why Prada is so expensive, why is Versace so expensive, why is [insert brand] so expensive? It's because you are paying for the BRANDING. You are paying for the LOOK.

If you can afford it, then buy what you want. It's just too bad that there aren't as many Brick and Mortar shops around for you to go in and try it on.

I hope this helps :icon_chee

[/end of essay... lol]

Back