Does anybody own both Lucky and Shoyoroll?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by fighting.spirit, Sep 11, 2010.

1. fighting.spirit

fighting.spirit Yellow Belt

Does anybody own both of these gis? Which do you prefer? Why?

Thanks.

2. yella91

yella91 Green Belt

I have the first edition Lucky Gi...and I have two Shoyorolls, the grey skies and batch 6. Shoyorolls are way better. I barely wore my Lucky Gi. Shoyorolls are made for style and funciton.

3. risingD

risingD Guest

why should somebody pay 250$ for a Gi? is there a reason?

4. jasoncyclops**

jasoncyclops** Red Belt

U mean those Shoyoroll gi in Ebay?
    don't buy it ! it's fricking ridiculous (the batch 7 is alrdy 300 bucks in ebay, which is a big WTF?!!)

5. risingD

risingD Guest

no I mean the lucky gis their normal retail price is 249$

6. GJJNY

GJJNY Purple Belt

Lucky sucks ass, theres no consistency between production runs, they shrink oddly and they're really uncomfortable.

THE most over priced gi on the market.

7. risingD

risingD Guest

what's that in the inside of the lucky gi?

lining or just a pattern?

8. nykayfabe

nykayfabe Green Belt

Honestly, I don't care for either one. I've sold 3 SYRs and I'm getting rid of my Lucky because it shrunk too much (or I'm too fat). Neither is made for my body type, Lucky being too slim and SYR having short-ass pants with long-ass sleeves. The Lucky is clearly more overpriced but it probably does look better than any SYR I've owned and it's sturdier w/a much thicker collar. I find the SYRs too flimsy but I don't really like super light jackets anyway. So short answer: Isami all day.

Oh,l and the pattern is just stamped on, not a separate lining. It hasn't rubbed off, though.

9. risingD

risingD Guest

Thanks!

yea isami looks interesting weird sizes though
    ISAMI where to get from? only chokesports.com?

10. yella91

yella91 Green Belt

All of the gis were given to me except for batch 6. I know a lot of people in the jiu jitsu community...so sometimes I get hookups. I did purchase the latest batch of Shoyorolls..I might give them away as presents.

I'm sort of a "gi-head" and I have owned over ten gis. I was training 7 days a week in the gi, but still, I know, that's a lot of gis!

11. risingD

risingD Guest

if you want to give it away... you know :p

12. QueensBJJ

QueensBJJ White Belt

I have 5 of the Lucky Gi's and 3 Shoyoroll gis(2 more on the way) that are in my gi rotation. I personally don't really have a preference in regards to which gi is better. They both have good points to them.

I will list my pros and cons for each, minus of course the styling as that is all really subjective.

Lucky Gi:
    Pros:

-The Sleeves are very much fitted and does not stretch out while rolling. I find that it retains it shape through out training.
    -Long Lapels which are very good for brabos, jacare choke etc. Also the lapels are very stiff so it makes it very hard for others to grip my gi.
    -The pants retain its shape very well so even when I do 2-3 hour training sessions in the summer it is very much still the same size.

Cons :

-High cost for a gi
    -The back patch sometimes irritates my back if I am not wearing a rashguard
    -Inconsistency between colors, sizing. ie . White and Black Lucky gi batch 1 are different than the Blue Lucky Gi which is the newer collar version. I believe they are made from different factories too. The Lovato and Marcelo Gis both fit very different than the basic 3 colors. Mainly because they were designed by those grappler's. For example the Marcelo gi seems to be fairly baggier around the waist for some reason and the pants seem a bit baggier as well. I have not used my Jeff Glover gi so I cannot comment on that.
    -Pant draw strings that come with the Lovato and Marcelo gi all become ruined once you wash them. It is recommended to remove them before washing, which in it self can be a pain.

Shoyoroll Gi
    Pros
    -Light Weight
    -Pant draw string and loops are amazingly comfortable
    -Pants stay in place for the most part
    -Gi material in the crotch area is a nice touch

Cons
    -The sleeves become baggy after long use
    -Pants seem a bit restrictive at times
    -Lining sometimes irritates the skin
    -Soft Lapels which makes it easy for your opponent to grab

If I get a bit more time I will do a more in depth review on the gis I own. I have tried a lot of different brands but for the most part my current rotation is mainly Lucky and Shoyoroll + other light weight gis.

13. nykayfabe

nykayfabe Green Belt

As far as I know, it's just chokesports.com and budovideos.com selling Isami gis in the States.

14. GJJNY

GJJNY Purple Belt

Screened pattern.

15. jasoncyclops**

jasoncyclops** Red Belt

Shyoroll gi is made in pakistan, right?
    what about Lucky? U.S? i mean their price is off the chart

16. QueensBJJ

QueensBJJ White Belt

Isami is carried by a lot of other vendors I believe. I know my wholesale dealer can get them at least. I believe the main ones who import them might be Hatashita and kodokangear. If you are looking for an Isami gi or need more info you can either email them or you can email me and I can find out information for you. They are great gis but iirc they shrink a bit.

Jasoncyclops :

Just checked my Lucky gis and from what I can gather this is where they were made.
    White - No label (I believe it is made in china)
    Black - No label (I believe it is made in china)
    Blue - Made in China
    Lovato - Made in Pakistan
    Marcelo - No label
    Jeff Glover - I don't have it here with me right now as it is still at the academy. I can check Monday.

From what I recall the cotton on Lucky Gis are 100% American Cotton which leads to the high price. I believe they purchase the cotton and ship it over to China to be made and then they ship it back. I have had my white lucky gi for nearly 3 years and it still looks fairly new albeit the color is not as white as it should be. My black gi is a bit faded as all black gis will. The only gripe that I did have as far as quality was my Blue gi pants ripped in the crotch area but I patched it up myself for a few dollars and it has been holding strong.

And yes Shoyoroll is made in Pakistan.

17. Scotty-OTM

Scotty-OTM White Belt

QueensBJJ,

All Lucky Gis have a 1 year warranty. Please end an email to [email protected] and we will replace your pants right away no cost to you.

All products have a 3-5% defect rate and we got a bad batch of pants. So we will replace them right away.

Thanks for your kind word on our products.

Scotty

18. ohmalley

ohmalley Blue Belt

i have one of each and i like them both. tho i have to say the syr is my favorite, simply because it's a lighter weight gi. if you love goldweave, and the lucky fits you well, you'll probably be happy with it.

my least favorite thing about the lucky is the big embroidery on the back -- i have a love/hate relationship with it. i love all the other embroidery and styling, but "lucky gi", while pretty neat looking, is a bit too overstated for my taste. my least favorite thing about my shoyoroll is the ripstop pants. the fabric is stiff and papery, and they can be restrictive.

both jackets are fitted but flexible. i wish both companies would use the same kind of rope drawstring keiko pants use -- syr's stretchy cord comes untied, and the canvas drawstring lucky uses is a bitch to tighten and tie/untie once sweaty. the lucky pants could also use a couple more belt loops.

i bought them because i like the way they look and the way they feel. neat gis make jiu jitstu more fun for me. i'd love the sport even if i had to wear a natural judogi, but aesthetics contribute to the joy in everything for me, including bjj. to this end i'm quite happy with both purchases.

19. QueensBJJ

QueensBJJ White Belt

Hey Scotty,

Not a big deal at all. Cost me 2 dollars for some thread and needle to fix it. It wasn't ripped when I got it so no biggie. Overall the gis have been amazing as far as how long they have lasted. I think I have had most of my lucky gis for about 1-4 years at this point and all of them have held up just fine.

Overall I find that Lucky gis quality is a bit better than Shoyoroll. But I have only really used one of my Shoyoroll gis and that one has a few problems.

20. nykayfabe

nykayfabe Green Belt

To clarify my stance on the Lucky: It used to fit me perfectly but it just kept shrinking for the first 15 or so washes (I'm guessing). I think it's still a great gi, if you've got a slim build that can take all the shrinkage, but it's not worth $250. No gi is. (I received it as a gift.)