does anybody here spar with elbows?

banderkejs

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
if so, whats your experience? good, bad? dangerous or is it safe if its done with protection...heck, enlighten me.

/banderkejs

If you're going to spar with elbows you need very thick elbow pads.

well one thing we do when using elbows is go slow and have focus

No - never tried it. Don't have elbow pads. Seems like the pads wouldn't really offer that much protection anyway though.

Elbows lead to cuts, which lead to no training or sparing while you're waiting for the cuts to heal so...no thanks.

They fight Muay Thai like that down in Georgia at one of those shows down there. They use the pads and evidently it does cut down on the bad cuts.

I dont understand why no martial arts supplier has made good muay thai elbow and knee pads.

Am i just out of the loop?

MN-KungFu said:
well one thing we do when using elbows is go slow and have focus

that is the ticket i belive. slow and focus huh?! thanks.

yeah Ive done it on a couple of occasions...we were wearing regular elbowpads...like what a skate boarder or something would wear...we just went very light.....we actaully sparred with headbutts as well...and knees.....the guy was an instructor who has done some NHB, and my coach was having him "assess" me.

It wasnt that bad...I looked quite ugly at the end of the whole thing, but I wasnt severely injured...worst thing was a serious hematoma on the inside of my upper lip, it swelled up pretty good and turned dark purple.

Never look down in the clinch, kids.

Yes I do. We use thick elbow pads and headgear. Cuts hardly take place. My instructor is trained in Thailand (Sit yod tong), he likes to keep it as authentic (Muay Thai) as possible.

TwIsTeD&BrOkEn said:
yeah Ive done it on a couple of occasions...we were wearing regular elbowpads...like what a skate boarder or something would wear...we just went very light.....we actaully sparred with headbutts as well...and knees.....the guy was an instructor who has done some NHB, and my coach was having him "assess" me.

It wasnt that bad...I looked quite ugly at the end of the whole thing, but I wasnt severely injured...worst thing was a serious hematoma on the inside of my upper lip, it swelled up pretty good and turned dark purple.

Never look down in the clinch, kids.
Haha, thanks for the tip!

Joel77 said:
Yes I do. We use thick elbow pads and headgear. Cuts hardly take place. My instructor is trained in Thailand (Sit yod tong), he likes to keep it as authentic (Muay Thai) as possible.
What gym are you from?

i train muay thai with elbows. no pads (whats the point in pads).

As long as both participants are willing.

It gives you an insight into working with elbows, builds good defence and is true muay thai.

Elbows are very dangerous, defence is essential so how can you prepare for a fight with elbows if you dont train them.

Thats why the thais are so deadly with elbows and they are not allowed in K1 because no one else trains them and would get punished severely in a fight.

Nationman make elbow pads. Worth picking up if you do want to spar using elbows. Sometimes I will drill elbows and defense but generally don't use them in sparring because I want to have people to spar with.

I have spared with elbow a few times. We would both put on full shield motorcycle helmets and 4oz gloves and anything goes except headbutts. It was actually alot of fun because you could still get rattled but you knew you weren't really going to get hurt. It was really nice for working counter punching and slipping bacause you could go full speed.

fdupnct said:
I have spared with elbow a few times. We would both put on full shield motorcycle helmets and 4oz gloves and anything goes except headbutts. It was actually alot of fun because you could still get rattled but you knew you weren't really going to get hurt. It was really nice for working counter punching and slipping bacause you could go full speed.

lol, wtf man :)

banderkejs said:
lol, wtf man :)

What? They work better than any other headgear I've used. You can still see the punches coming, you react naturally because you do feel the impact of the shot but your not going to get cut, bruised or broken. Both people can go full speed without holding anything back. I don't own a bike but I almost bought a helmet just for sparing with. Besides if you can slip a punch full speed with the added weight and size of a motorcycle helmet, imagine how much easier it will be once it comes off.

the gym i am at doesnt spar with elbows and i think that although safety wise its a good idea its not going to help anyone when they are trying to prepare for a fight. i think if you compete and have a fight coming up, you have no option other than to train with elbows included

fdupnct said:
What? They work better than any other headgear I've used. You can still see the punches coming, you react naturally because you do feel the impact of the shot but your not going to get cut, bruised or broken. Both people can go full speed without holding anything back. I don't own a bike but I almost bought a helmet just for sparing with. Besides if you can slip a punch full speed with the added weight and size of a motorcycle helmet, imagine how much easier it will be once it comes off.

That's an interesting concept. Almost made me laugh actually at first. hehe. Just the thought of two guys sparring with motorcycle helmets on... Anyways you can buy full faced headgear that covers everything but the nose, eyes, and mouth. Or you want to save your nose and chin just get the headgear that has the metal bar in front.

wooshman said:
That's an interesting concept. Almost made me laugh actually at first. hehe. Just the thought of two guys sparring with motorcycle helmets on... Anyways you can buy full faced headgear that covers everything but the nose, eyes, and mouth. Or you want to save your nose and chin just get the headgear that has the metal bar in front.

I can't remember how we started using them. I think it was entry drills for the clinch. We would take turns 1 person would try to get the clinch on the neck and land 3-5 strikes while the oher person was to defend against it. It was a very fun drill. I have some headgear without the bar and they are good but because the nose can still get popped pretty good, some people don't want to go that hard.

Back