Does alcohol bring out the "real you"?

Part of what you are is how you think. Alcohol really inhibits your ability to think clearly by slowing down your neurotransmitters, so I would say it just makes you act the way you would if you were stupid. That's whys ignorance is bliss. But it's not the real you, it's the real stupid version of you.

I like it. Makes sense. Drunk people are like children or whatever the current PC word for retarded is....just normal people, but not firing on all cylinders, and well, stupid.

Depends. If you think the 'authentic' person is the one who says whatever they feel at that moment, then yes. I don't really think that's a good representation of most people, however. What you choose to say in various contexts and how you choose to carry yourself in your day to day life say a lot more about the choices you've made about who you want to be than does screaming at a bad call when you're drunk at a bar watching football. My first impulse when seeing a woman may be 'damn she's hot, I'd love to tap that ass', but in my day to day life I choose to keep a lid on those impulses (plus I'm married). I might say something along those lines when I'm drunk, but whether I'd say it or not sober says a lot more about who I am IMO.

Not the "real' you.

Your inhibitions and judgement are also a part of you, so if you take that away it's not the "real" you anymore.

Not the "real' you.

Your inhibitions and judgement are also a part of you, so if you take that away it's not the "real" you anymore.

They are a social mask, a facade. It's merely the image you want to reflect to society. It's like a trained lion in a circus. Which one is the real one, the one who is coached, rewarded and punished by his behavior, or the actual beast that could break out of training at any second? Humans have similar instincts and thoughts they they repress.

Another question could be, does the internet bring out the real you? I'm sure most of us act differently and less inhibited online as well. We are phony everywhere and need outlets like the internet and alcohol to be ourselves sometimes.

Another question could be, does the internet bring out the real you? I'm sure most of us act differently and less inhibited online as well. We are phony everywhere and need outlets like the internet and alcohol to be ourselves sometimes.

This is a good point, and actually a good analogy I believe. Not that I act on the internet the way I act when I'm drunk, but I believe the appeal of each is fairly similar - you get to be either more true and honest to who you actually are, or a completely different type of person altogether.

Jackie Treehorne draws a lot of water in these forums, you draw jack shit Lebowski.

I do not believe it brings the "real you" as there isnt such thing or at least not in a sense used here.
It brings more animalistic less subtle part of you which is not touched by intelligence or any human evolution- turns u into a pig so to say, so u'd either act foolish or offensive of both (I'm talking used in excess of course, a little alcohol is excellent for bringing the good mood).
Just like E brings the more evolved part of you, where you are in utter love and peace with yourself and everyone around you. This is why I love E
Before I though alcohol brings the real u but it does not. It actually makes the intelligent part of you go away and u turn into asshole most of the time. Especially if u combine with coke so u can keep on going even when you are supposed to be passed out then it turns the ugliest.
Stick to E it will give u better perspective and if not change u for good at least it will add some positive to your persona experience-wise

Alcohol affects different people differently. It also affects the same person differently at different times, based on a whole slew of variables. Alcohol does not bring out the "real you." It brings out the stupid, inebriated you. Alcohol affects your judgment, and allows you to do stupid things that you probably wouldn't do sober. What you do while drunk is no more an indicator of the "real you" than what you do while stoned, tripping out, coked up, etc. What you do while you are sober is the real you.

It hinders anxiety, and you become more open about yourself with others.

If you're talking about getting shitfaced, usually that's because you've poisoned yourself to the point where you lose your inhibitions. That's not the "real you" at all. That's someone who is drunk and not thinking correctly.

My true self must love

Fighting everyone, head butting mail boxes, kicking parking meters, peeing anywhere and eating whole packs of un cooked bacon that's only been thrown in the microwave for 3 minutes.

It hinders anxiety, and you become more open about yourself with others.

If you're talking about getting shitfaced, usually that's because you've poisoned yourself to the point where you lose your inhibitions. That's not the "real you" at all. That's someone who is drunk and not thinking correctly.

"More open"="lose your inhibitions".

Geordie "Shadow" Munro;78223723 said:
My true self must love

Fighting everyone, head butting mail boxes, kicking parking meters, peeing anywhere and eating whole packs of un cooked bacon that's only been thrown in the microwave for 3 minutes.

Honestly several years back I saw this video of some British scientist (former head of their health department probably? dont remember) he was arguing how dangerous alcohol is in comparison to other drugs and he was saying that if alcohol was invented today it would most certainly be illegal(as it has been not that long ago and I think still is in some part of the world)
It was only when I experienced other drugs that I realized what he meant. Alcohol is just about as dangerous as they come. I think I'd put only heroin and crystal meth above it

Honestly several years back I saw this video of some British scientist (former head of their health department probably? dont remember) he was arguing how dangerous alcohol is in comparison to other drugs and he was saying that if alcohol was invented today it would most certainly be illegal(as it has been not that long ago and I think still is in some part of the world)
It was only when I experienced other drugs that I realized what he meant. Alcohol is just about as dangerous as they come. I think I'd put only heroin and crystal meth above it

Alcohol is responsibile for more suffering than all other drugs combined.

Alcohol is responsibile for more suffering than all other drugs combined.

Cigarettes too.

Here's the guy I was talking about- so it is the Govment's Scientific Chief Adviser on drugs:

In case someone decides to educate themselves on how facts stand

Alcohol doesn't kill people, people kill people.

Indeed. But if you had to choose two drugs to be legal, inexpensive and commonly available, alcohol and tobacco are really shitty choices.

Back