Does alcohol bring out the "real you"?

Alcohol removes the filters one uses to ensure they prescribe to societal norms.

I always say money doesn't change people it just makes them more of who they are... The same can be said for alcohol.

Alcohol provides a peak at one's true self.

I tend to agree with this. Alcohol helps lower people's inhibitions which makes them say or do things they normally wouldn't but secretly wanted to.

That's why they used to call it the truth serum.

Also, people tend to let their guard down and are a lot more open to revealing information they shouldn't if you have a friendly drinking session with them.

Indeed. But if you had to choose two drugs to be legal, inexpensive and commonly available, alcohol and tobacco are really shitty choices.

But that is because they are the most used. If as many people did heroin, meth or crack as smoked or drank, it would probably cause just as many problems.

And these drugs actually kill. Alcohol will stop your breathing. But it is stupid to blame it for shit like rape and other violent crimes, even though it is involved in a high percentage of them. Alcohol isn't an excuse. If you rape or kill somebody while drunk, you were already an asshole/sociopath before that.

Idk... maybe. Jim Beam turns me into to a psychopath for sure. Coke brings out the real me

Alcohol is responsibile for more suffering than all other drugs combined.

I don't believe this to be true.

20101106_WOC504_0.gif

There are so many different cultures with their own substance use/abuse culture, and most illegal drugs transcend borders. Alcohol may be involved in a lot of traumatic events, but it's impact is not greater than that of all other drugs combined.

Alcohol is responsibile for more suffering than all other drugs combined.

What is your source? Iv'e seen friends and family members put their lives in bad situations from heroin and meth. I'm not saying alcohol isn't evil, because it is.
I myself got into some trouble from alcohol. I still drink here and there, but like maybe a couple beers a week or two. I would rather people not drink. I, fortunately, came out of my situation without anyone being hurt from it.

I tend to agree with this. Alcohol helps lower people's inhibitions which makes them say or do things they normally wouldn't but secretly wanted to.

That's why they used to call it the truth serum.
And why is this intoxicated version considered the "true" version of someone?

Seems to me inhibitions are part of the true version.
I mean, the way you walk when you're shit-faced isn't your "true" walk either.

Just kinda relaxes me more.

Surprised some people get so volatile while drunk.

Agreed on both counts.

I think they should all be legal though.

Most of them should be. May be all, but not like free. I think like controlled distribution.
The rigidness of the laws on drugs is crazy and this is admitted not only by Joe Rogan any more.
Here: In this movie ex presidents of countries like Brazil, Mexico and Columbia say that the current laws on drugs are totally ineffective. Morgan Freeman as narrator

What is your source? Iv'e seen friends and family members put their lives in bad situations from heroin and meth. I'm not saying alcohol isn't evil, because it is.
I myself got into some trouble from alcohol. I still drink here and there, but like maybe a couple beers a week or two. I would rather people not drink. I, fortunately, came out of my situation without anyone being hurt from it.

I was making a generalized statement. Not everything that I post on Sherdog is going to come with a thesis and four pages of sources. This isn't my graduate degree project. This is Sherdog. Maybe I was wrong. Nevertheless, you can see by the chart that alcohol causes more problems than all other drugs, although not all other drugs combined.

But that is because they are the most used. If as many people did heroin, meth or crack as smoked or drank, it would probably cause just as many problems.

And these drugs actually kill. Alcohol will stop your breathing. But it is stupid to blame it for shit like rape and other violent crimes, even though it is involved in a high percentage of them. Alcohol isn't an excuse. If you rape or kill somebody while drunk, you were already an asshole/sociopath before that.

I'm not saying that heroin, meth or crack would necessarily be better, but there are less dangerous drugs out there.

If the world's alcohol drinkers switched to smoking marijuana and the world's tobacco smokers switched to chewing khat, I have no doubt that the world would be a healthier and safer place.

Me getting drunk on:

Beer = more outgoing, wants to have fun

Liquor = doesn't give a fuck, LETS FIGHT RIGHT NOW YOU PUSSY!

I would say its a mixture of the two but theres also different kind of drunks. Those days are past me though I rarely get drunk and or drink anymore besides a beer or two at dinner.

But those drugs would never get as many users as alcohol.

Also, lots of other illegal drugs besides those three.

There is nothing evil about alcohol. The evil lies in those who drink enough of it to lose their self control and harm others.

But those drugs would never get as many users as alcohol.

Also, lots of other illegal drugs besides those three.

Why? Because alcohol is more socially and legally acceptable. I bet more people do opium in many parts of the world than drink for example.

I think more credence should be given because often what people say when inebriated is closer to the truth.

HOWEVER; for myself I think that most of the time you get more 'real me' honesty, directness, more confidence. Some of the time(5%) I say things I don't mean based on my particular mood, which I don't realize is affecting what I say or I become a complete disaster(once) and am incapable of even communicating my own emotions.

These negative points of inebriation where I am beyond the 'truth serum' effect and into know-it-all asshole mode or emotional disaster are at times when it is apparent to all around me I have had way too much to drink.

Why? Because alcohol is more socially and legally acceptable. I bet more people do opium in many parts of the world than drink for example.

Legality has very little to do with that. It's because most people recognize that meth will probably fuck your life up.

If you live in Finland, you cannot opine in this thread. We all know that you have 80 proof booze for breakfast.
True.

Me getting drunk on:

Beer = more outgoing, wants to have fun

Liquor = doesn't give a fuck, LETS FIGHT RIGHT NOW YOU PUSSY!

I would say its a mixture of the two but theres also different kind of drunks. Those days are past me though I rarely get drunk and or drink anymore besides a beer or two at dinner.

Damn Ray, is that why you stabbed that guy?

Back